Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #169
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The Ohio Department of Insurance handles insurance claim issues.

The Ohio Attorney General handles factory warranty claim issues........ Oh gee, look at what is mentioned in the second paragraph on the OAG's homepage:

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...es-and-Service
OK, great. Ohio is different from LA.

So . . . what you're saying is that . . . instead of filing a complaint with the DOI, you'd file a complaint with the Attorney General. And then the process would (likely) be exactly the same as I described.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #170
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
OK, great. Ohio is different from LA.

So . . . what you're saying is that . . . instead of filing a complaint with the DOI, you'd file a complaint with the Attorney General. And then the process would (likely) be exactly the same as I described.
I’m quite certain you have a state attorney general and your insurance division doesn’t handle warranty issues.

Again, your accident hasn’t got squat to do with the price of rice in China.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #171
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I would just like to take a quick moment to point out that so far, nobody who owns a Camaro with a problem from this has shown up here to post.
Good point. Let's see who we HAVE heard from so far:

- GM employee
- People who are biased towards catch cans (including those who have them)
- People who are biased against catch cans

Perhaps it would be nice to hear from someone who isn't an employee, and isn't biased. Wish we could find such a person . . .

Oh look!

Quote:
[b]Formation of Intake Valve Deposits in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines[/b/
2016-01-2252

Gasoline direct-injection (GDI) engines have a well-known propensity to form intake valve deposits (IVD), regardless of operator service, engine architecture, or cylinder configuration. Due to the lack of a fuel-washing process that is typical of Port Fuel Injected (PFI) engines, the deposits steadily accumulate over time and can lead to deterioration in combustion, unstable operation, valve-sticking, or engine failure. Vehicles using these engines are often forced to undergo expensive maintenance to mechanically remove the deposits, which eventually re-form. The deposit formation process has not been well-characterized and there is no standardized engine test to study the impact of fuel or lubricant formulation variables. To meet this need, a proprietary vehicle-based GDI-IVD test that is both repeatable and responsive to chemistry has been developed. Using a vehicle equipped with a 2.0L turbo GDI engine, the mechanisms leading to deposit formation have been studied and analyzed, and found to be a combination of engine oil, engine-wear elements, unburned fuel, and exhaust gas contaminants. The rate of accumulation was also found to be affected by engine lubricant formulation variables.
Please note the first item that was found to lead to deposit formation - ENGINE OIL. And even the GM employee said that a catch can will reduce the amount of oil that enters the intake manifold.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #172
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I’m quite certain you have a state attorney general and your insurance division doesn’t handle warranty issues.

Again, your accident hasn’t got squat to do with the price of rice in China.
Stop being a troll.

Nsxmatt said: "Argue all you want, there is no way you're going to bat against a manufacturer."

And fastball said: "it will cost you more in court costs and attorney fees than it would to pay to fix the problem."

I was simply posting an automotive-related story about how you can take on the "big guys" without having to hire an attorney and go to court. I'm trying to educate people that we have many consumer protection agencies that will help them if they believe that a company is abusing them. It might be the Dept of Insurance, it might be an Attorney General, it might be a Dept of Health and Hospitals.

The point is, you don't have to take crap from a company, no matter how big they are or what industry they are in, if you truly feel you have been wronged.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #173
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Good point. Let's see who we HAVE heard from so far:

- GM employee
- People who are biased towards catch cans (including those who have them)
- People who are biased against catch cans

Perhaps it would be nice to hear from someone who isn't an employee, and isn't biased. Wish we could find such a person . . .

Oh look!

Please note the first item that was found to lead to deposit formation - ENGINE OIL. And even the GM employee said that a catch can will reduce the amount of oil that enters the intake manifold.
And if you check out the video I posted you'd learn about what temps deposits form at and that it's possible high load/high rpm operation is a possible solution, and that gently driving your car may be the ideal environment for deposits to form.

It's best to keep an open mind about theses things, because the more experience you have as a mechanic and/or engineer, the more you understand there's a lot we don't know and that no one human being is omniscient and master of anything.

So far the best evidence we have points to excessive deposits NOT forming on the LT1 and that it actually gains power as it's used. We have very recent posts on a 40k and 60k mile LT1 with photos and instrumented testing. We have a GM engineer saying they aren't necessary.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:52 AM   #174
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
And if you check out the video I posted you'd learn about what temps deposits form at and that it's possible high load/high rpm operation is a possible solution, and that gently driving your car may be the ideal environment for deposits to form.

It's best to keep an open mind about theses things, because the more experience you have as a mechanic and/or engineer, the more you understand there's a lot we don't know and that no one human being is omniscient and master of anything.

So far the best evidence we have points to excessive deposits NOT forming on the LT1 and that it actually gains power as it's used. We have very recent posts on a 40k and 60k mile LT1 with photos and instrumented testing. We have a GM engineer saying they aren't necessary.
GM engineers also thought the factory tie rods on the trucks from 89 - 2010 were solid enough for real off roading, lol. As well as full throttle 4WD launches... They don't always know what's best, especially, long term... As long as it lasts longer than the warranty period, they don't care, lol. Anything after that, is not their problem, so they'll read from the GM handbook of warranty safe relations, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #175
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

Well said

sci·en·tif·ic meth·od
noun
noun: scientific method; plural noun: scientific methods

a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #176
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
High Mileage V8 Owners: Any actual problems from oil build-up on valves?

Are catch cans necessary? No. To say they’re necessary would be an admission of a design fault.

Can catch cans catch some junk that would otherwise make its way to the valves and intake track? Do they catch all the junk? Yes. No.

Do catch cans work? Yes, but to the degree they work is a matter of who engineered the can and your definition of “work”, all are not created equal in this instance.

Do catch cans harm the engine? No.

Are they worth the money? That’s a personal decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #177
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Not according to Warren Byrd (google him). As a lobbyist, I've worked with him on several occasions.
You worked with a lobbyist AND you owned a Saturn ION? OMG!! You must be SO important! Being that smart maybe you could figure out how to go to the California DOI website and clearly see it's not for factory warranties.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #178
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Are catch cans necessary? No. To say they’re necessary would be an admission of a design fault.

Can catch cans catch some junk that would otherwise make its way to the valves and intake track? Do they catch all the junk? Yes. No.

Do catch cans work? Yes, but to the degree they work is a matter of who engineered the can and your definition of “work”, all are not created equal in this instance.

Do catch cans harm the engine? No.

Are they worth the money? That’s a personal decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #179
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
You worked with a lobbyist AND you owned a Saturn ION? OMG!! You must be SO important! Being that smart maybe you could figure out how to go to the California DOI website and clearly see it's not for factory warranties.
While I laughed.. I think he meant Louisiana not Los Angeles

Otherwise I agree with everything you've said to him.. he's very important in his own eyes.. and the name dropping just fits in so perfectly.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #180
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
This has been a great thread. Very informative info being shared here.

I think this thread should be the thread of the year this year in gen6.
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #181
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Mike View Post
This has been a great thread. Very informative info being shared here.

I think this thread should be the thread of the year this year in gen6.
I agree. Only thing missing is the gratuitous bikini lady ever now and then.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #182
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPoop View Post
I agree. Only thing missing is the gratuitous bikini lady ever now and then.
If we could get one to wear a couple of catch cans, that'd be perfect.