Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2023, 01:22 PM   #1415
silversleeper
Big Crow
 
silversleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: California
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I just happen to be looking at some of our data for a discussion Iím involved in tomorrow. One of the topics is Reason for Purchase for EV / Hybrid.

For Tesla buyers, government tax incentives is #5 with only 25% saying it was a consideration (they can list more than one). Top consideration was fuel savings at 67%.

For all other EV and Hybrid buyers government tax incentives is #3 at 10%. Top consideration is fuel savings at 20%.

For EV and Hybrid intenders (donít have, but likely to buy) government tax incentives is #4 at 17%. Top consideration is fuel savings at 57%.

This is from a survey of 7,500 respondents.

FWIW - Reasons for not purchasing are (in order)
  1. Too expensive
  2. Lack of charging availability
  3. Time required to charge
  4. Limited charging range
  5. Unfamiliar with technology
I don't know how old this 7500 respondents is from. I'd say more-so in the past Tesla was an exclusive Brand. People wanted to show off in their expensive Tesla. They have kept dropping prices and with tax rebates they are more affordable.
As a new buyer I'd say the top things for me were
Incentives, Acceleration, fuel prices (California has high premium fuel prices which go even higher at times!) Can refill at my garage
Secondary no oil changes and few other maint like brake and air filter changes. My Benz dealer want's to scalp you so they call it an A or B service to obfuscate their $500 oil and filter change charges.
The lows aren't as prominent now with charging stations all over and this technology been around a while with fewish reliability problems excepting the occasional battery fires.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 01:29 PM   #1416
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I don't know how old this 7500 respondents is from. I'd say more-so in the past Tesla was an exclusive Brand. People wanted to show off in their expensive Tesla. They have kept dropping prices and with tax rebates they are more affordable.
As a new buyer I'd say the top things for me were
Incentives, Acceleration, fuel prices (California has high premium fuel prices which go even higher at times!) Can refill at my garage
Secondary no oil changes and few other maint like brake and air filter changes. My Benz dealer want's to scalp you so they call it an A or B service to obfuscate their $500 oil and filter change charges.
The lows aren't as prominent now with charging stations all over and this technology been around a while with fewish reliability problems excepting the occasional battery fires.
I think it was May of this year.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8Ē LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:47 PM   #1417
Iron Lung Jimmy

 
Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Fun fact if anyone is interested. One of my colleagues will be the featured guest on Autoline After Hours this afternoon at 3:00 Eastern. In case you wanna yell at someone other than me the show can be accessed at Autoline.tv or through their YouTube channel. Show is hosted by John McElroy, the dean of automotive broadcasting. Todayís topic is the uneven growth of the EV market.

Cool drinking gameÖtake a shot every time he says ďlumpyĒ.
Go to 55:45 where Vasilash asks, "If the stick of regulation goes away, and the carrot of tax incentives goes away, what happens to that (EV) market? (excluding Tesla)"

To which McElroy replies, "Oh no, they won't do well. If you yank the rug out from under them completely you are going to financially cripple them. You could literally drive them out of business"

So your guys are admitting that this whole EV thing (except Tesla) is being dictated and propped up by the government. THAT is what I and many others here don't like.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:32 PM   #1418
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Go to 55:45 where Vasilash asks, "If the stick of regulation goes away, and the carrot of tax incentives goes away, what happens to that (EV) market? (excluding Tesla)"

To which McElroy replies, "Oh no, they won't do well. If you yank the rug out from under them completely you are going to financially cripple them. You could literally drive them out of business"

So your guys are admitting that this whole EV thing (except Tesla) is being dictated and propped up by the government. THAT is what I and many others here don't like.
That might be Johnís opinion. Michael didnít answer the question because he was gone from the broadcast by then. If he had he would probably have said something to the effect of
  • Tesla would be just fine
  • The major automakers, particularly the more global automakers (BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen Group, Hyundai Kia Group, others) would be just fine. They were already on the path to EV before any US regulatory push for 2027. And since they all build product for larger markets than just the US, their portfolios will reflect that.
  • General Motors would probably have to reassess their portfolio and would likely extend some form of electrically assisted ICE in their large truck / SUV portfolio.
  • The companies that would most be at risk would be Rivian, Lucid, Nio and similar. And except for Rivian, they would continue to exist, just maybe not with sales in the US.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8Ē LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:37 PM   #1419
Capricio
 
Drives: 2000 WS6
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Tesla selling credits has zippo to do with consumers deciding whether or not to buy an EV over an ICE. It does have a lot to do with how Tesla managed to stay alive as a company despite having to sell product below cost for a number of years. Chalk that up to good olí American ingenuity.
I'd call that "graft" and "government meddling", but okay, ingenuity, sure...
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:41 PM   #1420
Iron Lung Jimmy

 
Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
That might be Johnís opinion. Michael didnít answer the question because he was gone from the broadcast by then. If he had he would probably have said something to the effect of
  • Tesla would be just fine
  • The major automakers, particularly the more global automakers (BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen Group, Hyundai Kia Group, others) would be just fine. They were already on the path to EV before any US regulatory push for 2027. And since they all build product for larger markets than just the US, their portfolios will reflect that.
  • General Motors would probably have to reassess their portfolio and would likely extend some form of electrically assisted ICE in their large truck / SUV portfolio.
  • The companies that would most be at risk would be Rivian, Lucid, Nio and similar. And except for Rivian, they would continue to exist, just maybe not with sales in the US.
Michael wasn't there, he left after 30 minutes.

The real point is not who would or wouldn't survive, but that there IS a carrot and a stick which distorts the market.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:49 PM   #1421
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Michael wasn't there, he left after 30 minutes.

The real point is not who would or wouldn't survive, but that there IS a carrot and a stick which distorts the market.
I would have to agree that many see it that way. What I keep trying to say is that manufacturer intent precedes the EPA regulation that is currently on the table and it precedes the IRA treatment of EVs. Both measures are an attempt to either ďsuperchargeĒ the effort (EPA) or to make certain that US labor gets a slice of the pie (IRA). Now it is turning out that the EPA 2027 rule making is more onerous than originally expected and has an ulterior motive of pushing EV transition further and faster by making ICE capability to comply more and more difficult. Some of this is because EVs have proven to be capable in pretty much all aspects of automobile use. But at the end of the day, the direction was already set before the rule making was in place.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8Ē LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #1422
shaffe


 
Drives: 21 Bronco
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carol Stream
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I would have to agree that many see it that way. What I keep trying to say is that manufacturer intent precedes the EPA regulation that is currently on the table and it precedes the IRA treatment of EVs. Both measures are an attempt to either ďsuperchargeĒ the effort (EPA) or to make certain that US labor gets a slice of the pie (IRA). Now it is turning out that the EPA 2027 rule making is more onerous than originally expected and has an ulterior motive of pushing EV transition further and faster by making ICE capability to comply more and more difficult. Some of this is because EVs have proven to be capable in pretty much all aspects of automobile use. But at the end of the day, the direction was already set before the rule making was in place.
So serious question. I think we all see the push towards EV however we want to see it, but what are the auto makers going to do if the market simply resists?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lets keep it simple. ..
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:52 AM   #1423
Capricio
 
Drives: 2000 WS6
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 430
So, it's okay to regulate ICE out of existance through policy because "EVs were going to take over anyways" even though consumer demand never drove EV sales and forcing consumers into EVs is proof they really want them, or something.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:57 AM   #1424
snizzle
Recalled user
 
snizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
So serious question. I think we all see the push towards EV however we want to see it, but what are the auto makers going to do if the market simply resists?
"They" can resist all they want. As time progresses, less choices will be available until none are available.
__________________

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:59 AM   #1425
Capricio
 
Drives: 2000 WS6
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
So serious question. I think we all see the push towards EV however we want to see it, but what are the auto makers going to do if the market simply resists?
What happens when the government tries to drive something so hard in face of constrained resources, limited demand, and regulatory insanity? you get something like this:

Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:29 AM   #1426
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
So serious question. I think we all see the push towards EV however we want to see it, but what are the auto makers going to do if the market simply resists?
Thatís very hypothetical and therefore something that I canít really speculate on. ICE has pretty much reached is technical limits in terms of emissions control capability and regulations are not going to go away and they are not going to remain stagnant. So automakers have to decide if they are going to invest $$B into adding emissions content and systems that they canít recover cost through price or invest in the technology that performs better, has zero emissions, and people have shown a willingness to pay for. To answer your question would be to assume that all those factors go away. They wonít. They might bend and extend the life of ICE in certain classes of vehicles, but they arenít going to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
So, it's okay to regulate ICE out of existance through policy because "EVs were going to take over anyways" even though consumer demand never drove EV sales and forcing consumers into EVs is proof they really want them, or something.
Not my place to say what is okay or not okay. Itís only my place to study what is actually happening and forming positions / scenarios as to what is most likely to next happen.

To say that consumer demand never drove EV sales is to totally ignore the fact that during Teslaís double and triple digit growth years nobody forced anybody to buy a Tesla. Yet, here they are, the number 1 selling vehicle in the world and the 4th best selling brand in the US.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8Ē LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:47 AM   #1427
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
"They" can resist all they want. As time progresses, less choices will be available until none are available.
Pretty much this. Weíre seeing it already. Camaro, Challenger, and Charger are the poster children. When OEMs only have so much capital to feed product program mouths, some are going to starve no matter how much love there is for them.

We are starting to see entire classes of vehicles disappear. Compact sedans? Large sedans? Very soon mid-sized sedans? Things that are harder to electrify will hang on longer (pickups) but eventually automakers will figure out how to make highly functional affordable EV pickups. Today itís highly functional, affordable, EVÖpick two.

Going forward there will be ICE choices available. Just fewer of them.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8Ē LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:45 AM   #1428
0stones0
It donít come easy.
 
0stones0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Join Date: May 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Thatís very hypothetical and therefore something that I canít really speculate on. ICE has pretty much reached is technical limits in terms of emissions control capability and regulations are not going to go away and they are not going to remain stagnant. So automakers have to decide if they are going to invest $$B into adding emissions content and systems that they canít recover cost through price or invest in the technology that performs better, has zero emissions, and people have shown a willingness to pay for. To answer your question would be to assume that all those factors go away. They wonít. They might bend and extend the life of ICE in certain classes of vehicles, but they arenít going to break.


Not my place to say what is okay or not okay. Itís only my place to study what is actually happening and forming positions / scenarios as to what is most likely to next happen.

To say that consumer demand never drove EV sales is to totally ignore the fact that during Teslaís double and triple digit growth years nobody forced anybody to buy a Tesla. Yet, here they are, the number 1 selling vehicle in the world and the 4th best selling brand in the US.
I can find you a lot of people that donít see it that way. A lot. Iím talking about people on the street. Only part of those words you can have any reasonable certainty on is the zero emissions and even that is speculative. And to be clear, I am not against EVís as a means of transportation.
__________________
0stones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.