Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #71
JSH


 
JSH's Avatar
 
Drives: '20 ZLE
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mile High
Posts: 3,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
It all about traction and how these cars put power down.
There's another thread here discussing a Camaro LT4 running in the 8s in a NHRA stock class with supercharger-only and traction enhancements so it's just a matter of how badly someone wants to turn this car into a drag car when it's really a road course car
__________________
'20 ZL1 1LE A10,
OEM short block, LME heads/valve train, E2650.
100+ octanes, no eth, no meth, no N2O.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:47 PM   #72
dbs1
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Lakeside, Az
Posts: 491
Last 1/2 Mile roll race I attended in Oct there was quite a dodge presence though I'm not sure any demons were there.

The lowest hp I saw written on the window of them was 800hp and the highest, 1200hp. Most were sporting the 1000hp on the window and running 162-164mph.

I wanted to see where I stacked up with them running a lowly 650whp and I worked up from 157mph to 164mph around 4pm at 88 degrees.

In talking with the dodge guys the 1200hp guy ran a bit over 166mph and the 800hp guys best was 161mph.

So...either they had some happy dynos or mine has more power then I thought or a combo of the two. Looking forward to Saturday to see what 50degree temps do to power and traction...
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:59 AM   #73
Bosse'sBoss

 
Bosse'sBoss's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: RGV Texas
Posts: 1,463
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Randy ran laps in the Throttle House review.

CFTP excuses in 3... 2... 1
Attachment 1020008

That's correct, but Randy Pobst also mentioned that the tested Shelby came with severely wear tires, that with good tires because of its power that it would have had a faster lap time than the ZL1 1LE.
Randy chose the Camaro as his favorite car.

Camissa and the other two guys choose the Shelby GT500 as their preferred car on the test.
__________________
'16 Camaro SS
Prior cars:
'14 Corvette C7 Stingray Z51
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #74
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crazy Coast
Posts: 15,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
That's correct, but Randy Pobst also mentioned that the tested Shelby came with severely wear tires, that with good tires because of its power that it would have had a faster lap time than the ZL1 1LE.
Randy chose the Camaro as his favorite car.

Camissa and the other two guys choose the Shelby GT500 as their preferred car on the test.
I didn't keep up on the chatter much after that all erupted, but did anyone ever confirm if that ZLE was riding with the track alignment and the 3Rs that car would have come with from the factory? I think I recall some parts of the video showing PS4s or something like that. Either way - it was impressive despite the tranny and power, it didn't run that much faster at Willow. Or in Car & Driver's course...
__________________

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #75
Z OH 6


 
Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Gapplebees
Posts: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
Last 1/2 Mile roll race I attended in Oct there was quite a dodge presence though I'm not sure any demons were there.

The lowest hp I saw written on the window of them was 800hp and the highest, 1200hp. Most were sporting the 1000hp on the window and running 162-164mph.

I wanted to see where I stacked up with them running a lowly 650whp and I worked up from 157mph to 164mph around 4pm at 88 degrees.

In talking with the dodge guys the 1200hp guy ran a bit over 166mph and the 800hp guys best was 161mph.

So...either they had some happy dynos or mine has more power then I thought or a combo of the two. Looking forward to Saturday to see what 50degree temps do to power and traction...
Just being honest, in a 1/2 mile, there's no way possible that your 650whp ZL1 will run the same speeds as a 1000 or even a 1200hp Hellcat will run. Too many variables to speculate, but physics say your ZL1 can't run the same as those cars if all things mentioned were accurate. It is possible that you may have run close to a 800HP Hellcat since 650whp is about 750hp at the crank and the ZL1 has a weight advantage.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #76
CW3SF

 
CW3SF's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Sea level
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Just being honest, in a 1/2 mile, there's no way possible that your 650whp ZL1 will run the same speeds as a 1000 or even a 1200hp Hellcat will run. Too many variables to speculate, but physics say your ZL1 can't run the same as those cars if all things mentioned were accurate. It is possible that you may have run close to a 800HP Hellcat since 650whp is about 750hp at the crank and the ZL1 has a weight advantage.
Yeah based on the hp and weight numbers the ZL1 should be around 155-158mph dependent on start from dig or roll, and the 1,000+hp Hellcats around 165-168ish.
__________________
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #77
dbs1
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Lakeside, Az
Posts: 491
All I know is what the printout said. I started at 157. Went up to 158. Son in law jumped in and ran 161+. Let it cool for an hour and it ran the 164+. It was the end of the day and checking with the dodge boys on their best mph and as previously mentioned, it was what it was. The other lane was slower so we didn't get slips mixed up.

Now I will say by then we were at 1/4 tank and aeroforce gauge showing alcohol content had gone from 40% to 47%.

Going again this Saturday with cooler temps. We will see if it repeats. The 164+ timeslip was the only one I kept.

By the way, is there a site you're using to determine 1/2 mile speeds with whp and weight as there are for 1/4 mile stuff?

Last edited by dbs1; 12-09-2020 at 10:55 PM.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:48 AM   #78
Z OH 6


 
Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Gapplebees
Posts: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
All I know is what the printout said. I started at 157. Went up to 158. Son in law jumped in and ran 161+. Let it cool for an hour and it ran the 164+. It was the end of the day and checking with the dodge boys on their best mph and as previously mentioned, it was what it was. The other lane was slower so we didn't get slips mixed up.

Now I will say by then we were at 1/4 tank and aeroforce gauge showing alcohol content had gone from 40% to 47%.

Going again this Saturday with cooler temps. We will see if it repeats. The 164+ timeslip was the only one I kept.

By the way, is there a site you're using to determine 1/2 mile speeds with whp and weight as there are for 1/4 mile stuff?
Just saying you can't overcome physics, something may not be right with what you saw vs reality. A 1000hp+ Hellcat would take you to Gapplebee's. As I stated before, you probably are close to a 800hp Hellcat though if your car makes 750'ish to the crank.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #79
wnta1ss

 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NH
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Just being honest, in a 1/2 mile, there's no way possible that your 650whp ZL1 will run the same speeds as a 1000 or even a 1200hp Hellcat will run. Too many variables to speculate, but physics say your ZL1 can't run the same as those cars if all things mentioned were accurate. It is possible that you may have run close to a 800HP Hellcat since 650whp is about 750hp at the crank and the ZL1 has a weight advantage.
Um, he was reporting results from the same track on the same day. Timeslips beat the shit out of theory. As far as why the 1000whp Dodges were not any faster than his 650whp Camaro, and the 1200whp Dodge was only 2mph faster, this event did start at low speed, so the fact that the Dodge is much heavier than the Camaro is one factor. Another factor with the big hp rwd cars was probably traction, because if the surface was unprepped like I suspect, then they could have trouble applying so much power early enough to get speeds that reflect their big hp.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #80
gtfoxy
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: WI
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Um, he was reporting results from the same track on the same day. Timeslips beat the shit out of theory. As far as why the 1000whp Dodges were not any faster than his 650whp Camaro, and the 1200whp Dodge was only 2mph faster, this event did start at low speed, so the fact that the Dodge is much heavier than the Camaro is one factor. Another factor with the big hp rwd cars was probably traction, because if the surface was unprepped like I suspect, then they could have trouble applying so much power early enough to get speeds that reflect their big hp.
It’s hard to say for sure. I know plenty of guys that say they are traction limited with over 1KHP over 100mph.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #81
dbs1
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Lakeside, Az
Posts: 491
Well today’s event started with 50 degrees. Great for making power. Terrible for traction.
Everyone was struggling. My first pass was my best with a little over 164mph again.
Not near the dodge prescense there was in Oct. 1 demon there. He couldn’t do better then 155, spinning a lot. A couple of hellcat chargers and challengers. Best I saw from a 1000hp charger was 167. Others were again, 161-164.

I found even with lack of traction, and having to get out of it several times putting it in sport and turning traction control off netted me the best outcome with a few other 162.5 runs.

Yes, the physics and all...speed slips don’t lie.

And just one weird note..I looked at the pic of the speed slip I snapped back in Oct to compare to my best mph at this event-both EXACTLY the same 164.1138. How strange is that?

Last edited by dbs1; 12-13-2020 at 12:22 PM.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:56 AM   #82
GA1LE
 
GA1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 35
Just gonna leave this here...

2018 ZLE (6 Speed only) - 1:34.30
GT500 CFTP - 1:33.84

Let's just put this to bed, Randy was way off when he said that the GT500 CFTP on fresh tires would embarrass the 10 Speed.

Attached Images
 
GA1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:21 AM   #83
Z OH 6


 
Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Gapplebees
Posts: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1LE View Post
Just gonna leave this here...

2018 ZLE (6 Speed only) - 1:34.30
GT500 CFTP - 1:33.84

Let's just put this to bed, Randy was way off when he said that the GT500 CFTP on fresh tires would embarrass the 10 Speed.

He wasn't wrong either that the GT500 would win on a fresh set of tires. That being said, the ZL1 1LE is a very capable car for a few thousand dollars cheaper than the GT500 but people not to stop hating on the GT500, its a serious piece of machinery for the money if you can get one at MSRP. The ZL1 needs a power bump now that the GT500 is out.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:35 AM   #84
GA1LE
 
GA1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
He wasn't wrong either that the GT500 would win on a fresh set of tires. That being said, the ZL1 1LE is a very capable car for a few thousand dollars cheaper than the GT500 but people not to stop hating on the GT500, its a serious piece of machinery for the money if you can get one at MSRP. The ZL1 needs a power bump now that the GT500 is out.
Not really sure how you figure that when all of the data points to the 10 speed more than half a second quicker than the 6 speed around any decent length track.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...amaro-zl1.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/
Attached Images
 
GA1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.