Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-04-2022, 09:09 AM   #15
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I understand that and agree back in the early LS1 days companies were using race lobes and causing a lot of stress and valvetrain instability. Most companies started switching to smoother lobes and lower lift profiles to work around Stock rocker arms which seem to work best in most builds.

However I am specifically speaking about valve sideloading which is a issue on high lift cam shafts with stock rockers. You only covered my question with one sentence stating "roller rockers reduce side loading at the cost of instability". So I am assuming you don't have a solution so you simply deal with the valve guide wear and replace when necessary?

Just because you have stable lobe profiles with high lift at high rpm doesn't mean there won't be added wear from the stock rocker side loading the valve. The only effective way to reduce this is by lowering lift if using stock rocker arms. Hence why a lot of cam companies in the last 6-8 years have started lowering lift on their camshafts.
We had a car come back with 25,000 miles and 20 track days for a cylinder head service, there was nearly 0 wear on both the stem-to-guide clearance measurement, and the valve tip wear patterns. This was using our specific valvetrain package.

The issue that you are bringing up, we have not seen with our packages. There aren't many other companies that have the testing capability we have.

It is possible that other companies see unideal side loading if there valve-tip to stem sweep pattern is off. We have verified in our setups, that the sweeping pattern on the valve tip is correct. If you run into a situation where the nose of the valve goes over the edge of the valve tip at peak lift, you will get into a situation of severe sideloading.

In our LTK track attack package with our custom cylinder head, our valves, our geometry, we run over .700 lift on the intake and exhaust. This came back to us after 40 hours of track mileage with virtually no wear as well. This was also hydraulic roller.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:58 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
We had a car come back with 25,000 miles and 20 track days for a cylinder head service, there was nearly 0 wear on both the stem-to-guide clearance measurement, and the valve tip wear patterns. This was using our specific valvetrain package.

The issue that you are bringing up, we have not seen with our packages. There aren't many other companies that have the testing capability we have.

It is possible that other companies see unideal side loading if there valve-tip to stem sweep pattern is off. We have verified in our setups, that the sweeping pattern on the valve tip is correct. If you run into a situation where the nose of the valve goes over the edge of the valve tip at peak lift, you will get into a situation of severe sideloading.

In our LTK track attack package with our custom cylinder head, our valves, our geometry, we run over .700 lift on the intake and exhaust. This came back to us after 40 hours of track mileage with virtually no wear as well. This was also hydraulic roller.
Thanks!!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #17
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Great info guys.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:05 PM   #18
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Great info here, not many vendors respond quickly and with honest, fact based answers. Props to you guys Zach!
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:16 PM   #19
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Great info here, not many vendors respond quickly and with honest, fact based answers. Props to you guys Zach!
Makes me want to do business with them first chance I get!
Old 05-05-2022, 07:48 PM   #20
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm hoping for 600hp out of the Katech build on my 2002 Camaro SS. Maybe next I'll send my 1LE in for a 427.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:04 AM   #21
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Just now seeing this and was worried about the valvetrain as well since I won’t be close to Katech as I am now but this definitely made things a lot more comforting to me.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote