Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
whynotlikemike

Drives: 2018 Camaro
transmission gear issue?, manufacturer warranty

Good morning all,

I have recently been experiencing issues with my 2nd gear not going into gear properly at lower speeds, or it will catch and hit awkwardly and spit back out.

My experience with my t56 tells me this isn't normal. But my lack of experience with tr6060 is making me question if it is abnormal. It is only at lower speeds, and usually causing issue from 3 to 2 not 1 to 2.

If this is an issue, would they consider it a warranty fix?

If not then I'm open to the feedback.

Thanks.
whynotlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotlikemike View Post
If this is an issue, would they consider it a warranty fix?
This will be something addressable under warranty if the dealer can reproduce it. if this happens sporadically, I would not waste a trip. Dealer will say, "Can't reproduce problem," and be done with you.

They are going to say it's how you drive and shift.

Most of us have no problems with the manual transmission/clutch/shifting. There are a few people with issues reported, but not near the numbers compared to the 8-speed automatic.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
whynotlikemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
This will be something addressable under warranty if the dealer can reproduce it. if this happens sporadically, I would not waste a trip. Dealer will say, "Can't reproduce problem," and be done with you.

They are going to say it's how you drive and shift.

Most of us have no problems with the manual transmission/clutch/shifting. There are a few people with issues reported, but not near the numbers compared to the 8-speed automatic.

I appreciate this reply. I was thinking that this would be what would be the case. I want to say it feels as how a master cylinder or slave would feel if they were problematic. But since it is only in 2nd gear it seems to be only for that. Maybe it is just a tight transmission and 2nd is not big on up shifting at lower speeds.

But regardless you confirmed my warranty question. Did not know if it was drivetrain covered or not (if reproduced)
Old 04-25-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I get a notchy 2d gear but sometimes it's just col, air temp or trans, its not objectionable and most of the time I put a good pause in between 1 and 2 and it's smoother. Is not the worst tranny that I've had, is mostly on par with theyre like. I've got 43K on it. If you';ve got some one else really experienced with manuals that can drive and tell you what's up I'd do that before going to a dealer.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:36 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
If you've got someone else really experienced with manuals that can drive and tell you what's up I'd do that before going to a dealer.
I was thinking this too.
I would do a "blind" test. Ask your friend to drive and see if he notices any trouble shifting. Don't start by saying it pops out of 2nd gear.
And quite honestly it can be anyone who is used to driving a manual.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:05 PM   #6
whynotlikemike

Thank you all for the reply ideas. They are great ideas.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You could have worn synchros or just something loose in the shifter that keeps you from getting all the way into gear.

On the other hand, if your transmission is always popping out of gear under load, including deceleration load when you lift off the gas, you could have worn gears.

A skilled mechanic can learn a lot from a test drive and provide a diagnosis that can't be done here in the forum.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote