Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
ChristianWhite24

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green V6
SS Cold air intake on V6

Gas anyone installed an SS cold air intake on a v6? If so what needs to be done to the hoses to do this? Any issues? Pictures if you have any
ChristianWhite24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the air bridge is too big for the v6 maf calibration.

Not sure if the mounting holes lineup.

It's unlikely that the other side of the air bridge will lineup with the throttle body either, assuming you also had a stepdown fitting.

Really there's no point, if you're gonna stick with a flat filter box setup, just drop a K&N or other gauze type filter into the stock V6 box and call it a day. You wont get any additional benefit out of the SS box. The V6 one will flow plenty for WOT on the stock engine.

You can grind out the air straightners and such in the air bridge on either end if you want to remove additional air flow restrictions. However, it's not going to net you anything you can feel or probably even measure, but if you're bored, why not. It doesn't appear to negatively impact anything (mine was modded like 6 months into owning it in 2016)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You can grind out the air straightners and such in the air bridge on either end if you want to remove additional air flow restrictions. However, it's not going to net you anything you can feel or probably even measure, but if you're bored, why not. It doesn't appear to negatively impact anything (mine was modded like 6 months into owning it in 2016)
The air straightener is the little plastic bar inside there?
Attached Images

dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Cut them out only if you have a wideband and a tuner
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:28 PM   #5
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianWhite24 View Post
Gas anyone installed an SS cold air intake on a v6? If so what needs to be done to the hoses to do this? Any issues? Pictures if you have any
I have the Cold Air Inductions intake on my v6 with the upgraded 80mm TB and ported intake manifold, you can definitely feel the difference. It's not as simple and straightforward an install as an intake would normally be, since you have to replace several hoses for the PCV system, and you'll need to cut the coupler for the 80mm throttle body to fit between the tubing for the SS intake and the throttle body. There are several posts about this on the facebook group. Also, you'll have to have a tune to do this, since the MAF scaling will be different because of the different tubing diameter.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
I have the Cold Air Inductions intake on my v6 with the upgraded 80mm TB and ported intake manifold, you can definitely feel the difference. It's not as simple and straightforward an install as an intake would normally be, since you have to replace several hoses for the PCV system, and you'll need to cut the coupler for the 80mm throttle body to fit between the tubing for the SS intake and the throttle body. There are several posts about this on the facebook group. Also, you'll have to have a tune to do this, since the MAF scaling will be different because of the different tubing diameter.
Curious, did you purchase the 80mm throttle body and ported intake manifold from Overkill Motorsports? I had been eyeing those for awhile. Just curious on your satisfaction with the parts.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Luckycod4

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Do we really need a coupler? So we cant just use stock tubing from the SS CAI?
Luckycod4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCyphyr71 View Post
Curious, did you purchase the 80mm throttle body and ported intake manifold from Overkill Motorsports? I had been eyeing those for awhile. Just curious on your satisfaction with the parts.
Yeah, I did get them from Overkill. They’re good quality parts, the throttle body is a GM/AC DELCO part and the manifold is a ported OEM piece. If you do get it just make sure to transfer the rubber seals from the old manifold to the new one.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckycod4 View Post
Do we really need a coupler? So we cant just use stock tubing from the SS CAI?
I don’t think we’re able to run the stock SS intake on our cars. I couldn’t tell you the reason, but most of the people going with SS intakes are using the Cold Air Inductions version. You’d need to talk with Will from Overkill about that, as he’s the one who tunes them.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Yeah, I did get them from Overkill. They’re good quality parts, the throttle body is a GM/AC DELCO part and the manifold is a ported OEM piece. If you do get it just make sure to transfer the rubber seals from the old manifold to the new one.
Awesome. Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #11
Luckycod4

Quote:
I don’t think we’re able to run the stock SS intake on our cars. I couldn’t tell you the reason, but most of the people going with SS intakes are using the Cold Air Inductions version. You’d need to talk with Will from Overkill about that, as he’s the one who tunes them.
Sorry I need to be more clear. Do you really need a coupler when you connect the CAI SS tubing that comes with it to the overkill throttlebody? Is that clear enough or no?
Old 11-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckycod4 View Post
Sorry I need to be more clear. Do you really need a coupler when you connect the CAI SS tubing that comes with it to the overkill throttlebody? Is that clear enough or no?
Oh, yes you will need to have a secondary coupler underneath. The piping that’s included with the SS intake will not fit over the 80mm throttle body without it.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #13
Luckycod4

Quote:
Oh, yes you will need to have a secondary coupler underneath. The piping that’s included with the SS intake will not fit over the 80mm throttle body without it.
Oh okay thanks
Old 10-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #14
bulldog385128

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
What size coupler did you get to make it work? I have the overkill 80mm throttle body as well, but I'm considering switching over from the cold air inductions v6 intake to the ss one.
bulldog385128 is offline   Reply With Quote