Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2022, 06:50 AM   #29
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6000 View Post
I am sure i missed this, but what grit sand paper did you use when doing this? im guessing you did multiple grits?
Just a single grit, 600.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:31 PM   #30
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
Just a single grit, 600.
where you get that satin from? i tried looking on amazon but im not seein satin clear. any chance you can post a link up or was it a local buy?

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:31 PM   #31
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
where you get that satin from? i tried looking on amazon but im not seein satin clear. any chance you can post a link up or was it a local buy?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017Y4QTVI

This is the link I purchased, but as you can see from picture above what I received was labeled as satin. I can not recall exactly what the first can I used was labeled, but the last 2 cans I bought definitely say satin. FYI semi-matte and satin should be very close in outcome, if not the same.

Looks like the cans are $10ish cheaper right now than what I paid, tempted to order another spare for future use.

The only thing I dislike about this 2k satin clear is the fact it's a 2 part paint. After you release/mix the hardener, pot life is around 48hrs until the can is no longer good. Great nozzle on the paint too, nice fine mist.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 04-26-2022, 03:16 PM   #32
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Love how subtle it comes across in the pics. You know it's CF but it isn't flamboyant. This could make me want to add some carbon pieces.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #33
ste6000

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017Y4QTVI

This is the link I purchased, but as you can see from picture above what I received was labeled as satin. I can not recall exactly what the first can I used was labeled, but the last 2 cans I bought definitely say satin. FYI semi-matte and satin should be very close in outcome, if not the same.

Looks like the cans are $10ish cheaper right now than what I paid, tempted to order another spare for future use.

The only thing I dislike about this 2k satin clear is the fact it's a 2 part paint. After you release/mix the hardener, pot life is around 48hrs until the can is no longer good. Great nozzle on the paint too, nice fine mist.
i saw this to and was confused. it shows another language for the name below that translate to satin. must of changed the name as semi matte must of been confusing. according to the make's website, it is that product number. i'll get 2 cans of that when ready to go. thanks again for the input. you make me now want to do this!

Old 04-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #34
ste6000

Quote:
Just a single grit, 600.
wait another dumb question, did you dry or wet sand this?

Old 05-11-2022, 01:44 PM   #35
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
wait another dumb question, did you dry or wet sand this?
Sorry for the delay and replying, I apparently missed the email notification for it.

After drying, I just let fully cure for a few days indoors. I did not wet or dry sand after the satin clear. Maybe it's ideal to wet sand and polish satin clear, I just never googled to see.

There's very little texture in general on the parts from this clear, I typically would get more texture in gloss clear (or more noticable anyways).

I came back to share this, for lack of other threads to share it in. Seems China is starting to produce forged carbon parts. I prefer the 2x2 twill visually, but forged carbon is sick in it's own right and MUST be seen in person to fully appreciate. Few items I came across with this week's Chinese carbon fiber search.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004031015246.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003728085175.html
Old 07-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #36
KoreanBob

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro SS 2SS (6MT)
Few more questions...

New member here. Just got my '20 Camaro SS (2SS) last week.

Love your results and was thinking of doing the same. The satin finish looks amazing.

I'm debating doing the shifter trim, infotainment trim and the door spears and was mainly looking at Carbonaddons. Were any of these 3 ordered from AliExpress? I don't mind the wait and would like to save some cash. If from Ali, can you share which vendor/store you bought from?

And finally, when you scuffed the CF parts, Do you do it really lightly? I'm worried that since it's so thin, you might go through it.

Thanks for the info,
Al
KoreanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:26 PM   #37
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanBob View Post
New member here. Just got my '20 Camaro SS (2SS) last week.

Love your results and was thinking of doing the same. The satin finish looks amazing.

I'm debating doing the shifter trim, infotainment trim and the door spears and was mainly looking at Carbonaddons. Were any of these 3 ordered from AliExpress? I don't mind the wait and would like to save some cash. If from Ali, can you share which vendor/store you bought from?

And finally, when you scuffed the CF parts, Do you do it really lightly? I'm worried that since it's so thin, you might go through it.

Thanks for the info,
Al
Off the top of my head, I honestly don't remember which was purchased where. I know for sure the HVAC vent surrounds, BUT it's all very likely the same stuff, you're only buying in US at a higher price so you don't have to wait a few weeks.

Keep in mind this is ONLY doable on the hard carbon parts, not just the "stickers" where there's a single layer of carbon with heavy "dome" of epoxy/resin on top....you will know because this feels like rubber and is more of a sticker you contour to your car versus fitting it properly. You can tell by looking at pictures pretty easily, see attached.

Don't go nuts with sanding, only scuff it. Basically just trying to make the surface visually look dull so the clear has something to grab onto and doesn't come off. Just make sure to get nooks in corners and such.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #38
KoreanBob

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro SS 2SS (6MT)
Quote:
Keep in mind this is ONLY doable on the hard carbon parts, not just the "stickers" where there's a single layer of carbon with heavy "dome" of epoxy/resin on top....you will know because this feels like rubber and is more of a sticker you contour to your car versus fitting it properly. You can tell by looking at pictures pretty easily, see attached.
Yeah, that's why I asked. I figured with Ali, there's always a chance of a bit of 'bait'n'switch' (but I had no idea of 'heavily epoxy'd stickers' - damn. That would suck.

And thanks for the scuffing clarification.

Thanks again for posting all this.

Al
KoreanBob is offline   Reply With Quote