Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Installed Range AFM Disabler

Since I had the infamous A8 Shutter I decided to install the Range AFM Disabler with a extension cut off switch. Some forum members here and on the Corvette Forum think the AFM is causing the TC to fail. I also have an occasional loud backfire at WOT when it shifts which is unburned fuel in the cylinders. I have been to the dealer and they could not duplicate the issue and there are no codes. I am hoping it cures this issue as well. I know some popping is normal but this is a loud backfire similar to a shotgun blast.The Range unit by itself sticks out from the OBDII port enough that you can hit it with your leg getting in and out and the extension cures this issue since it is much smaller. Besides the extension has a cut off switch which is great since the Range unit has a parasitic draw and can drain your battery after a week or so if the car is not used. I routed the extension cut off switch under the dash between the airbag and bottom of the dash. I ran it to the right side driver bolster (near where your knee rests) so I could use the bolster to run the wire and hold the Range unit which has a light. I choose the red led lights because I drive in sport mode which is highlighted red. I used a srtip of velcro to attach the Range unit to the carpet near the switch. It is hidden except for the red led which looks cool at night.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Range-Technol...ords=Range+AFM

Attached Images

Last edited by craigss50; 08-18-2018 at 10:35 AM.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
I guess no CEL. I like the idea with the extension switch. That will cut the power totally off?
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
craigss50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
I guess no CEL. I like the idea with the extension switch. That will cut the power totally off?

No CEL so far and yes it will cut the power off totally. I have only driven it for about 10 miles so far but others with the newer unit have not experienced a CEL with the Range unit. I bought mine directly from Range to be sure I got the latest version. They ship quickly and offer a discount on their website. I did order the extension from Amazon.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
craigss50

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
No CEL so far and yes it will cut the power off totally. I have only driven it for about 10 miles so far but others with the newer unit have not experienced a CEL with the Range unit. I bought mine directly from Range to be sure I got the latest version. They ship quickly and offer a discount on their website. I did order the extension from Amazon.
I could have hidden the Range unit under the carpet but like seeing the red LEDs. From the seat you can't see any of the unit or wire.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I got the Range about a month ago, also direct from Range with the discount. No issues at all, does what it is supposed to do. Can't speak to the TC shudder issue, never had it. Mine is plugged right into the OBD2 port and never even close to hitting it getting in or out. I'm only 5'6" tho....

All my driving is in town and I haven't noticed lower fuel economy at all. I am only 6 miles to work and schedule is Thur/Fri/Sat e/o Wed 13hr days. Some week ends the car does not get driven 3 or 4 days and I haven't noticed any battery drain either.

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
craigss50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
I got the Range about a month ago, also direct from Range with the discount. No issues at all, does what it is supposed to do. Can't speak to the TC shudder issue, never had it. Mine is plugged right into the OBD2 port and never even close to hitting it getting in or out. I'm only 5'6" tho....

All my driving is in town and I haven't noticed lower fuel economy at all. I am only 6 miles to work and schedule is Thur/Fri/Sat e/o Wed 13hr days. Some week ends the car does not get driven 3 or 4 days and I haven't noticed any battery drain either.

Good to know Mr Russ. I am 6' so the Range was very close for me. I have the seat all the way back. Just piece of mind for me to have the switch.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Marco Falcone

Drives: 2018 2SS Convertible MBM/Kal
Nice install. Very stealthy. I have a couple of mini-cargo nets, a small change holder and my FasTrak velcro’d to the sides of my tranny tunnel. (Got to get creative with the storage in a vert!)

I put a Range with latest firmware in my 18 2SS vert A8 at about 800 miles. It has the red LED as well, as I drive in sport and also usually keep the light strips in red.

Car now has 2800 miles on it. No issues at all. No CEL’s, hard starts, etc.

Smooth and powerful. No A8 issues either. (YET. Fingers crossed.) Also followed the 1500 mile break-in to the mile, had an oil change at 500, and will be getting the A8 and differential flushed at 3000 or so.

I DD the car, so it is always in. No issues with leg clearance getting in and out. I did pull it when I went on vacation for a couple of weeks, just to be sure.

Won’t drive without it.
2018 2SS Vert. MBM/Kalahari. MRR FS01’s with 285/305 MPS4S. Black Bow ties, A8, MRC, NPP, 6-piston Brembo’s w/ matching rears, OEM Ground Effects/Splash Guards, 8”/Nav. Borla S-type, Pray IM/TB, RotoFab.

Past DD’s of note:
2013 Caprice PPV. (“Company” car.)
1998 Cadillac STS
1996 Impala SS
1969 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1993 Corvette
1991 Mustang 5.0 LX
1973 Alfa Romeo Spider
1986 Mustang GT T-top
1964 Falcon Sprint Hardtop. (First car, still have the key!)
Marco Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Another vote here for the Range AFM. Did it to avoid A8 torque converter issues down the road and installed my Range with only 500 miles on my odometer. The massive improvement in all around drivability is well worth the price alone IMO.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I started using mibe again in hopes of getting rid of the horrible shifting and A8 issues that seem to be popping up again, made a huge difference, very smooth and actually the shifting is much improved. Hopefully now the transmission holds up this time, don't feel like bringing it back again.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
The AFM doesn't cause the shudder... GM's mushy trans tuning does... Otherwise there'd be torque converter issues in all the V8s since 2007.

That being said, disabling AFM is still a good idea, lol. The lifters last longer (early AFM had collapsing lifters, and I don't know if GM ever fixed them), and on the trucks, at least, there wasn't any real difference in fuel mileage.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #11
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
The AFM doesn't cause the shudder... GM's mushy trans tuning does... Otherwise there'd be torque converter issues in all the V8s since 2007.

That being said, disabling AFM is still a good idea, lol. The lifters last longer (early AFM had collapsing lifters, and I don't know if GM ever fixed them), and on the trucks, at least, there wasn't any real difference in fuel mileage.

Right, but isn’t the tuning mushy due to AFM? Definitely not mushy under power. I’m under the impression there is much more slippage when running in V4 mode... the Range avoids that entirely. I think...?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #12
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
I notice a very slight engine throb when dropping in&out of V4 mode at low RPMs, been thinking about ordering it. Haven't noticed any slippage, but when going to V4, those damn exhaust flaps slap shut to provide back pressure to prevent popping in the exhaust, pretty annoying.
Instead of a cutoff switch, couldn't the thing be wired directly to a hot wire when car is running ONLY??? That way, you shut the car off, -IT- shuts off to prevent parasitic draw off the battery---.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
craigss50

I only put the switch in because sometimes I don't drive the car for a week or so. If you use yours on a daily basis I wound not worry about the draw. We went on a trip so I switched it off while we were gone. In those cases I could just unplug it but like the idea of a switch. So far I have only switched it off twice.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Right, but isn’t the tuning mushy due to AFM? Definitely not mushy under power. I’m under the impression there is much more slippage when running in V4 mode... the Range avoids that entirely. I think...?
Unless they softened things up considerably with the 8 speed, it shouldn't... It's only a problem with the 8 speeds... No 6 speed or 4 speed auto is having the issue... There's no reason to slip the converter in 4 banger mode. Engine makes more than enough power for full lock up.

It's to keep things smooth for the people who want smooth shifting.

drperry is offline   Reply With Quote