Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #29
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Edelbrock is coming out with a supercharger for the V6 460 HP
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #30
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace01 View Post
Link?
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #31
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Quote:
I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT. However seeing is believing and it would be nice for more support!! You can do a single turbo budget build for probably less than 1/2 the price of that if you can do your own work and welding.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #32
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Red face

Quote:
Would be really cool if they did a top mount kit like on the brz/frs...

....buuuuut i wont be holding my breath on this one. I haven't seen any major manufacturer post in thjs forum to see or gain interest in something more than an intake.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #33
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Source site and info or it's just hearsay.. to get 460whp out of a topmount on the V6 it would have to be pretty large and most likely not even fit under the stock hood.. not to mention the fueling upgrades needed. Now if you do have some sort of inside not released info and that is 460 crank HP well that's not any better just getting the know reliable overkill kit. Also alot of guys in hear saying oh it's just 100hp for 6500.. the thing is after that 6500 you don't have to spend much more to get another 100 on top of that ... And I'm talking WHP not crank.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #34
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Source site and info or it's just hearsay.. to get 460whp out of a topmount on the V6 it would have to be pretty large and most likely not even fit under the stock hood.. not to mention the fueling upgrades needed. Now if you do have some sort of inside not released info and that is 460 crank HP well that's not any better just getting the know reliable overkill kit. Also alot of guys in hear saying oh it's just 100hp for 6500.. the thing is after that 6500 you don't have to spend much more to get another 100 on top of that ... And I'm talking WHP not crank.
I fully agree. it would take some crafty engineering to do a roots style supercharger and for the cost we could probably just buy a V8. Has anyone else noticed the similarities in the Cadillac ATS-V twin turbo platform? I wonder if the fuel pump and injectors are compatible with the LGX? If not then I am sure Overkill has the information on which injectors or pump to buy. Also I saw some used intercoolers on EBAY that fit the 4 cylinder which should be immediately compatible with the V6 if someone wanted to go the budget turbo route. Lastly I think the tune for these cars is limited to Trifecta, EFI LIVE, and HP Tuners, and none of them are cheap!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #35
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
I fully agree. it would take some crafty engineering to do a roots style supercharger and for the cost we could probably just buy a V8. Has anyone else noticed the similarities in the Cadillac ATS-V twin turbo platform? I wonder if the fuel pump and injectors are compatible with the LGX? If not then I am sure Overkill has the information on which injectors or pump to buy. Also I saw some used intercoolers on EBAY that fit the 4 cylinder which should be immediately compatible with the V6 if someone wanted to go the budget turbo route. Lastly I think the tune for these cars is limited to Trifecta, EFI LIVE, and HP Tuners, and none of them are cheap!
Nothing on the ATS-V is compatible as the engine is based off the LFX block. Cant even use the spark plugs.. we share alot of stuff with the 3.0tt LGW cadillac engine. In tank Fuel pump you have a couple options but high side fuel pump there is 0 options.. Possible Cam Grind on the fuel lobe to overdrive it. Fueling is going to be the number 1 hurdle for me very soon.. As it is with E85 Tune and 12lbs of boost I am running a dual nozzle alky methanol kit..

The overkill stage 2 kit will provide you with enough fueling upgrades for over 400whp but the high side starts to run out over 450.. I am actively researching and trying to figure things out I ordered a OEM HPFP to see if any parts can be interchanged but its highly unlikely. I am suprised a company has not jumped on a upgrade for the AC Delco HP1027 because its used on sooooo many cars. However the demand for a performance HPFP for these cars is extremely limited. Our engine even uses a smaller plug so finding colder plugs is hard the LGW engine has a 1 step colder plug but beyond that gonna need special order plugs. There is a wall with the LGX and not sure how hard some of this stuff is going to be able to solve.. But with the help of Tracy on some things and some of the connections I have made over the past year I am hoping to find some sort of solutions.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #36
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Quote:
I've wondered if they might. They make one for the Jeep V6 and also the Toyota 3.5 V6 (also used by Lotus). Both are pretty small volumes so I'd think the V6 Camaro market might be similar. 460hp seems pretty strong but might be possible.

To the OP question - I think intake and exhaust are the two best and simplest upgrades. Get the GM intake, which comes with its own tune, to maintain warranty and get benefit of a tuned intake. I haven't seen any dyno results with it, but my butt dyno tells me it is stronger.

Exhaust upgrades are more for sound than HP. The few extra HP you might get aren't worth $1000+ in my opinion, but the sound might be. NPP is the best choice but for those of us that got a deal on a car off the lot, it might not have it. I've wondered if it's possible to retrofit a takeoff NPP system to car without it. The rear fascia is different but I'm sure it can be done somehow.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #37
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Nothing on the ATS-V is compatible as the engine is based off the LFX block. Cant even use the spark plugs.. we share alot of stuff with the 3.0tt LGW cadillac engine. In tank Fuel pump you have a couple options but high side fuel pump there is 0 options.. Possible Cam Grind on the fuel lobe to overdrive it. Fueling is going to be the number 1 hurdle for me very soon.. As it is with E85 Tune and 12lbs of boost I am running a dual nozzle alky methanol kit..

The overkill stage 2 kit will provide you with enough fueling upgrades for over 400whp but the high side starts to run out over 450.. I am actively researching and trying to figure things out I ordered a OEM HPFP to see if any parts can be interchanged but its highly unlikely. I am suprised a company has not jumped on a upgrade for the AC Delco HP1027 because its used on sooooo many cars. However the demand for a performance HPFP for these cars is extremely limited. Our engine even uses a smaller plug so finding colder plugs is hard the LGW engine has a 1 step colder plug but beyond that gonna need special order plugs. There is a wall with the LGX and not sure how hard some of this stuff is going to be able to solve.. But with the help of Tracy on some things and some of the connections I have made over the past year I am hoping to find some sort of solutions.
Honestly for MOST of us looking to do FI I would believe that 400 to 450ish horsepower at the crank would be more than enough if it could be done without breaking the motor.
To be clear you are saying that the fuel limiting factor for direct injection is the high fuel pressure pump and none of the other GM alpha body platforms have a viable upgrade? If so then Can you provide details on your current spark plugs, fuel injectors and fuel pump? Are they aftermarket upgrades or GM direct replacements. Also have you considered using a boost a pump for the low pressure fuel pump to help provide more pressure?
Old 08-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #38
BOYD3800SII

OK! I see that you already started a fueling thread...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526016
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #39
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
agreed. although e-brocks top mounts are pretty low profile.... it can be done im sure with the amount of recessed valley area in our engines. however, like you, I just don't see the reality of it coming to fruition without some sort of solid proof.

that's what I was thinking about the overkill top mount setup...on the lfx I believe... had to cut the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
I've wondered if they might. They make one for the Jeep V6 and also the Toyota 3.5 V6 (also used by Lotus). Both are pretty small volumes so I'd think the V6 Camaro market might be similar. 460hp seems pretty strong but might be possible.

To the OP question - I think intake and exhaust are the two best and simplest upgrades. Get the GM intake, which comes with its own tune, to maintain warranty and get benefit of a tuned intake. I haven't seen any dyno results with it, but my butt dyno tells me it is stronger.

Exhaust upgrades are more for sound than HP. The few extra HP you might get aren't worth $1000+ in my opinion, but the sound might be. NPP is the best choice but for those of us that got a deal on a car off the lot, it might not have it. I've wondered if it's possible to retrofit a takeoff NPP system to car without it. The rear fascia is different but I'm sure it can be done somehow.
disagree partially...even if an opinion that works for YOU, but especially after doing the most recent exhaust I have now. learning how the LGX exhaust is ran, and whats inside the stock mufflers and resonators.

the AFM valves. obvious and common sense restriction. there for sound issues when switching to v4 mode. removing them costs under 100$ and will help with flow as well as sound. more so you wont have a spring loaded DOOR that the engine has to constantly force open.

one doesn't have to spend 1000$ on an exhaust. most of that is because you are getting stainless steel 409 or 304, and not mild steel. you are also paying for the tips...4 not 2. and then the pipes, and the muffler design with pipes inside, and the valve. if you price it out.

quality tips avg 60-70$ x 4 = 240-280$

pipes prob about 400$ the part that connects to the stock exhaust and then to the rear bumper in stainless steel.

2 mufflers (single in/dual out from borla) at about 135$ per (and that's at summit racing) 270$

Already at 950$

hangers, welding, manufacturing, boxing is the rest of the price. anyone else surprised? not me. with that much ground work done, all you have to do is install... that's what you pay for....convienience.

but theres plenty of stuff to do to stock to get more performance and volume out of it, npp or base.

most axle backs DO NOT remove the afm valves. these are different than NPP valves.

and I def don't think NPP is the best choice for everyone... that's why I steered clear of it. too much extra that can go wrong (electronics) and if you plan for aftermarket stuff, you gotta make sure its either made by the manufacturer, or the aftermarket valves mimics the same function (look in the v8 forum for the large borla and MagnaFlow posts on the AFM valve issues).

the minute you add extra air flow to the front of the engine, the exhaust note is gonna change. so if you plan to keep the car stock.... then yea, NPP may be "best", the exhaust is gonna sound the same out the rear. but by looking at how many npp mufflers have been for sale... just sayinnn...

but for those of us, that planned to mod, its better to build the exhaust as you go to account for extra sound and air flow, and for those that boost, exhaust diameter needs. this is obviously more a preference thing, as is all exhaust, but npp muffler is still an empty 3 chamber design, just with a valve.

all gimmicks aside, performance wise/minded... the quickest way from point A to B is a straight line. hence straight through mufflers. simple basic, proven over time. cant reinvent the wheel so to speak. exhaust performance is about keeping velocity the same or raising it. anytime you slow exhaust, you decrease performance.

this is why the myth of "exhaust is more for sound not performance" still exists. loud pipes may save lives, but many who just want a loud car, usually take the easy and cheap routes and get their car louder at the expense of performance. there's a way to do it right to get both.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 08-08-2018 at 01:34 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #40
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
What is the best way to temporarily force the AFM valves to stay open, just to test the effect on sound?
Old 08-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #41
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxSummit16 View Post
What is the best way to temporarily force the AFM valves to stay open, just to test the effect on sound?
Weld them open. Most exhaust shops will do this for about $30. You only need a small breakable tack weld for testing purposes. If you like the new sound then have them removed. If not then break the weld so the valves return to normal operation.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #42
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
Weld them open. Most exhaust shops will do this for about $30. You only need a small breakable tack weld for testing purposes. If you like the new sound then have them removed. If not then break the weld so the valves return to normal operation.
Thanks!