Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
'Merica

Drives: 2LT RS
Engine Cut-Out at WOT

Has anyone experienced any engine cut out at wide open throttle? I recently hit the 1500 mile mark and while at wide open throttle; shifting from first to second I experience an abrupt cut-out in the throttle and acceleration.

At first I thought it was the traction control kicking in, but even after turning it off; I still have a serious lull in the throttle. Before anyone says it... this is my fourth manual car and I don't need and Vin Diesel's telling me how to shift haha
'Merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Sounds like rev limiter to me... Not trying to give a shifting lesson. I drove a saturn ion red line at a dealer one time and I hit the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift every time. it just felt like it wanted to keep pulling so I stayed in it.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
'Merica

I thought that may have been the issue as well, but I purposely shifted well before the redline. Idk maybe I am just missing something or need to get use to the car bit more

It was some of my first hard pulls since I broke in the car, so maybe it is driver error lol
Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 AM   #4
macgoober

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
I've noticed this too. You have to really slow down the 1-2 shift and slip the clutch a little or it just cuts power.

Not sure what is causing it.
macgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:47 AM   #5
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Merica View Post
Has anyone experienced any engine cut out at wide open throttle? I recently hit the 1500 mile mark and while at wide open throttle; shifting from first to second I experience an abrupt cut-out in the throttle and acceleration.

At first I thought it was the traction control kicking in, but even after turning it off; I still have a serious lull in the throttle. Before anyone says it... this is my fourth manual car and I don't need and Vin Diesel's telling me how to shift haha
I've had that happen to me as well when hard shifting at wide open throttle from 1st to 2nd at or near red line. Throttle cuts when you drop the clutch for 2nd gear right?

do you turn off all traction control? Not just hitting the T/C button. You have to hold it down for approximately 10 seconds.

It's definitely computer nannies. It's not the engine. I think it has something to do with wheel spin and traction control.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
'Merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgoober View Post
I've noticed this too. You have to really slow down the 1-2 shift and slip the clutch a little or it just cuts power.

Not sure what is causing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
I've had that happen to me as well when hard shifting at wide open throttle from 1st to 2nd at or near red line. Throttle cuts when you drop the clutch for 2nd gear right?

do you turn off all traction control? Not just hitting the T/C button. You have to hold it down for approximately 10 seconds.

It's definitely computer nannies. It's not the engine. I think it has something to do with wheel spin and traction control.
Exactly, as soon as I am in second the cut in throttle happens, and it a serious interference. I'm really glad I'm not the only one though

I was just pushing the traction control I had no idea about having to hold it. I guess that's why there is a manual haha
Old 01-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Merica View Post
I was just pushing the traction control I had no idea about having to hold it
Pressing it turns off the traction control. Holding it down will shut of stability control and traction control.

I tried to do a quick 180 in the rain one time with the traction control off (in a wide open parking lot), not even thinking about the stability control. The car surprised me when it automatically applied brakes and completely "saved me" from spinning out.

After I held the button down and shut them both off, there were no interruptions at all.

I've never experienced any bogging during the 1-2 shift at redline....
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
This happens to me all the time. And is the main reason i cannot seem to get a decent 0-60 run. I have to either shift way too early from 1-2 or deal with the engine cutout. I really hope someone can figure it out. Maybe a tune would get rid of it but then no more warranty. Currently I'm making the shift at 5k to avoid it.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
cellsafemode

warranty shmarranty. If it doesn't break in the first few months it's probably gonna get blamed on something that the warranty doesn't cover anyway. Otherwise, why even bother purchasing when you can just lease it?

I dont experience any of this cut-out stuff at WOT on the auto. i've also been using the Trifecta tune for at least the last 6 months so.....
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #10
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
had the same problem.
push and hold the traction control button.
turn off all the nannies and or slow down the shift just a tiny tiny bit.
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
ny tdi

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 6MT Convertible
I have 6MT 1LT V6, and this happens to me all the time. It's the ONLY thing I don't like about the car's performance. I've owned manuals all my life, and I've never had to deal with something like this. Yes, holding down the TC button helps. Just wish I could drive the car without having to turn off all the safety features. Seems like a dumb choice to have to make.

From what I understand, BMW M2 drivers feel the same way. Driver's who want to do heel-and-toe shifting have to turn off every safety feature on that car. Yikes!

Does anyone know if the Vitesse Throttle Controller helps with this "problem"?
ny tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
keysersoze

Drives: 16 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny tdi View Post
I have 6MT 1LT V6, and this happens to me all the time. It's the ONLY thing I don't like about the car's performance. I've owned manuals all my life, and I've never had to deal with something like this. Yes, holding down the TC button helps. Just wish I could drive the car without having to turn off all the safety features. Seems like a dumb choice to have to make.

From what I understand, BMW M2 drivers feel the same way. Driver's who want to do heel-and-toe shifting have to turn off every safety feature on that car. Yikes!

It won't help with the engine cutting power. all the controller does it make the pedal more sensitive.
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #13
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
I hate it myself.....ALOT.
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
pjz1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny tdi View Post

Yeah, tried it, doesn't help. Although i still highly recommend getting one. Only "mod" I've done and is well worth the money. I got one used off someone on here for $100.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote