Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Resurrecting this because i've noticed people referring to this feature when talking about AFM on the LGX in the 2016 Camaro.

It does not turn off at stop lights. It doesn't turn off at all unless you turn it off with the ignition button. The only AFM active in the V6 camaro is cylinder deactivation when cruising. This is and should be completely transparent to the driver unless they're watching the info screen that notes it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #16
bdar66

Drives: 2016 camaro lt2 rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Resurrecting this because i've noticed people referring to this feature when talking about AFM on the LGX in the 2016 Camaro.

It does not turn off at stop lights. It doesn't turn off at all unless you turn it off with the ignition button. The only AFM active in the V6 camaro is cylinder deactivation when cruising. This is and should be completely transparent to the driver unless they're watching the info screen that notes it.
im pretty sure that the lgx does not have cyl deactivation. ive never seen it say anything about it and dont have anything in the menu that states that it happening. i thing that the lt1 is the only one that does it in this gen
bdar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The camaro LGX has cylinder deactivation . It also,has start stop as a feature built in. . However it's not activated on the current LGX in the Camaro.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #18
cellsafemode

it does, drops to 4 cylinder mode. Goto one of the trip (a or b) menus and cruise for a bit holding steady on the accelerator. It'll drop to V4 mode and will show green (V6 is blue).

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The camaro LGX has cylinder deactivation . It also,has start stop as a feature built in. . However it's not activated on the current LGX in the Camaro.
The problem is that people are reading this and the various sources where this info was taken from and thinking the 2016 V6 camaro turns off at lights. It just needs to be noted that their 1LT/2LT is not going to turn off at lights. Especially since this can be an annoyance to some people and turn them off the V6 before they ever learn that it's not an active feature.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #19
bdar66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
it does, drops to 4 cylinder mode. Goto one of the trip (a or b) menus and cruise for a bit holding steady on the accelerator. It'll drop to V4 mode and will show green (V6 is blue).

EDIT:

The problem is that people are reading this and the various sources where this info was taken from and thinking the 2016 V6 camaro turns off at lights. It just needs to be noted that their 1LT/2LT is not going to turn off at lights. Especially since this can be an annoyance to some people and turn them off the V6 before they ever learn that it's not an active feature.
right yeah it deff doesnt have the stop start function at least mine doesnt. i really wish it didnt have the cyl deactivation :/ although i never noticed it. that must be why its so quiet when cruising. upsetting
Old 03-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #20
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdar66 View Post
right yeah it deff doesnt have the stop start function at least mine doesnt. i really wish it didnt have the cyl deactivation :/ although i never noticed it. that must be why its so quiet when cruising. upsetting
The stock exhaust and vehicle sound deadening is designed to be quiet during cruising. V4 mode is only activated in certain low load conditions (it wont even be in V4 mode if you are stopped at a light). You wont ever (or shouldn't if it's operating correctly) feel or notice it's effect when you are looking for "spirited" driving. It'll never have a chance to drop into v4 mode.

depending on if you have bose or not, it might be quiet due to noise cancellation. I hardly ever drive with my windows up so I still get some exhaust noise audible but with the windows up, the only way I hear it is if i'm accelerating hard. All the other car noises you hear are passive from the intake and tire noise.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #21
Glen e

Its all minutae anyway, you can get a Range AFM defeat for $200, and once you plug it in to the OBD port, it never goes into v4 mode. I have been using one on the LGX for the last 1000 miles and the AFM just goes away. No CEL lights, no alarms nothing, works perfect.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #22
cellsafemode

meh, it only turns on after a period when you're barely on the gas. Not when accelerating, at stop lights or anytime that matters. Basically free mpg with no downside. Some of the V8 guys have complained about transmission stutter potentially being linked to moving from v4 to v8 but I haven't felt anything in the V6 like that. I haven't seen any need to disable it for performance since it's default behavior is that it's not active during any times where performance is required.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #23
bdar66

i just tried really hard to get my car to do what you say it does and i cant seem to get it to change anything green. the only thing that changes to green is the fuel range gauge and thats because green means good and super low is yellowish. its green even when at half mgp. still not convinced the 3.6 shuts off 2 of the cyl. would seem kinda asinine for a v6 to have that. why wouldnt it also have the skip shifter if they where overly concerned with it?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #24
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdar66 View Post
i just tried really hard to get my car to do what you say it does and i cant seem to get it to change anything green. the only thing that changes to green is the fuel range gauge and thats because green means good and super low is yellowish. its green even when at half mgp. still not convinced the 3.6 shuts off 2 of the cyl. would seem kinda asinine for a v6 to have that. why wouldnt it also have the skip shifter if they where overly concerned with it?

..IT SHUTS OFF TWO CYLINDERS only On the automatic, not the manual shift.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #25
bdar66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
..IT SHUTS OFF TWO CYLINDERS only On the automatic, not the manual shift.
im fully aware what it does thanks.i didnt know it was only for the automatic.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #26
MovieGuy

Do these cars have rev limiters to protect them from people re learning how to drive manuals?

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #27
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
This motor is engineering work of art. So much potential. I wish they would drop the twin turbo version into the Camaro.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lgx/

http://www.camaro6.com/2015/12/15/20...0-best-engine/

This motor is awesome! I have the NPP exhaust and it sounds incredible winding it out.

http://jalopnik.com/a-basic-2016-che...ing-1745827833
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:29 AM   #28
tmannband

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 6 spd
Auto Stop? My tach stays steady at stop lights with the manual 6 speed.
tmannband is offline   Reply With Quote