Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #141
JitteryJoe
 
Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: At the end of the DHL/Amazon Runway, KY
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The LS7 was probably the last big CI we will ever see from an automaker. IIRC the rumor was they wanted a LT7 for the C7 Z06 and were working on one. They could make the power they wanted but I believe it was it wouldn't pass cold start emissions or something like that. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was something along those lines
That's disappointing to hear. I'd have figured between some combo of Port + DI, VVT, EGR, catalyst close to the headers and what not they could have figured something out. Hell, just do what everyone else does and jack it up 1.5in and call it a "light truck"
JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #142
CamOnlyJabroni
 
CamOnlyJabroni's Avatar
 
Drives: 19’ ZL1/16’ C7Z/96’ Camaro Z28
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Torque wont be anywhere close to the LS7's torque. 480 ft/lbs at 8500 rpm is 775 hp. If it is peaking at 615 hp at 8500 rpm theoretically, it'd be about 380 ft/lbs. Peak torque maybe 425...
High strung low torque motor seems like the wrong direction for someone wanting to play around on the street and have fun. Viper was so successful for the opposite reason. High torque low rpm reliability on track. Especially in cars that keep getting heavier.
CamOnlyJabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #143
Mountain

 
Mountain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Metro-Detroit
Posts: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
LS7 is NA 7 ltrs/427 ci. 505hp @ 6500 RPMs. 470-481 ft/lbs. TQ @ 4800 RPMs. 454 lbs. assembled.

LT6 is NA 5.5 ltrs./335 ci. 600-630hp @ 8000-9000 RPMs(est.) 480-550 ft/lbs. TQ (est.) @ ? RPMs. Weight to HP/TQ ratio will be significantly better than LS7.

As for FMCs 5 ltr. FPC. Yes, LT6s 335 is greater than GT 350s 305.

However, that LT6 has been homologated in C8.R for nearly 2 IMSA seasons in both sprints and endurance races... with great success.

Ford's Voodoo... not so much.
Right, GM's FPC seems to be designed towards the orientation with lesser vibrations and actually taking advantage of the FPC design. The Ford FPC is a compromised design for particular engine note and to try and take advantage of the combined-runner intake manifold as much as possible. Plus, GM has already ran the 5.5L FPC through several endurance races. The Ford FPC could only last typical ~2-hour or less races.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Torque wont be anywhere close to the LS7's torque. 480 ft/lbs at 8500 rpm is 775 hp. If it is peaking at 615 hp at 8500 rpm theoretically, it'd be about 380 ft/lbs. Peak torque maybe 425...
I think it'd be wise to look at the Ford 5.2L FPC and it's power... 526HP @ 7500 RPM and 429 lb-ft torque @ 4750 RPM. Given the way you projected the torque figures, in a linear fashion through the RPM range, the Ford engine should be making 612HP @ 7500 RPM. I'm confused because then you say "Peak torque maybe 429..." where the assumed that people typically speak about are peak numbers... and I would certainly bet a 5.5L DOHC FPC will make at least the same peak torque as a [known] 5.2L DOHC FPC.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #144
Mountain

 
Mountain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Metro-Detroit
Posts: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni View Post
High strung low torque motor seems like the wrong direction for someone wanting to play around on the street and have fun. Viper was so successful for the opposite reason. High torque low rpm reliability on track. Especially in cars that keep getting heavier.
Then one can buy a Stingray/Z51 C8 or wait for the following C8 HP-iterations? The Z06 is supposed to be the track [circuit] weapon, just like the GT350/R was for the Mustang and that things powerband.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.