Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
800 HP.... unless taking it to the strip, when will you ever use it? I guess that's what people used to say about 300+. i have 505 and can't even come close to using it on a regular basis.

You do have to wonder how far it can go. Are we going to be looking at 1000 HP production cars at some point? Even then, it'll probably be beat by a Volt in a quick jaunt in the not too distant future, but i digress.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #16
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
I think future performance cars will follow the Lotus strategy and shave weight from each part of the car until you end up with an ultra-lightweight Vehicle. Reducing unsprung mass will be most important, especially when it comes to the drivetrain. Lower drivetrain power loss allows the manufacturer to reduce the output of an engine and still have the same wheel horsepower. Straight line speed will be hard to come by in 15 years, but the number of fun to drive sports cars will grow. High horsepower is more about satisfaction(away from closed courses such as race tracks and drag strips) than anything, but it isn’t essential. With that said hybrid performance cars are already at 1000 horsepower, but they ain’t cheap. Give it 10 years and you’ll see a hybrid mid-engine Corvette with 1000 horsepower for $130,000
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #17
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Sounds like I need to visit Corvette Forum

I know there is an LT6 coming, but I thought they would go:

LT1 LT2 LT3 normally aspirated

LT4 LT5 LT6 LT7 forced induction

But now, maybe not if LT6 is the entry C8 motor.

Very interesting, and when LT is done - on to Twin Charged.

Internal combustion engines going out with a BANG! Peaking right now.

g
Fossil fuel powered vehicles have a good 20-30 years left in the mainstream.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #18
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
I don't think we have that long to wait. Check out: https://www.motor1.com/news/213128/2020-tesla-roadster/

The new Tesla Roadster:
  • 7,376 pound-feet of torque. Yes, you read that correctly.
  • 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds, making it the quickest production car in the world.
  • 0-100 mph in 4.2 seconds.
  • Quarter mile in 8.8 seconds, which beats every other production car.
  • 250+ mph top speed.
  • 620 miles of highway range.
Yes its priced out there, but China is making similar model cars at half the price. So I give it two more model generation years (7-10 years) and the electric car will take over the market. They will have equivalent 1000 hp cars that will make what we drive now obsolete. That is when people will be getting rid of these cars and eventually it will be hard to get gas for them. I'll be dead by that time (hopefully).
Old 12-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #19
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
It's not a rumor, but it has yet to be officially confirmed by GM...
If not confirmed by the builder themselves , shouldn't it be considered a rumor by definition ?
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #20
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Halsey View Post
I don't think we have that long to wait. Check out: https://www.motor1.com/news/213128/2020-tesla-roadster/

The new Tesla Roadster:
  • 250+ mph top speed.
Yes its priced out there, but China is making similar model cars at half the price. So I give it two more model generation years (7-10 years) and the electric car will take over the market. They will have equivalent 1000 hp cars that will make what we drive now obsolete. That is when people will be getting rid of these cars and eventually it will be hard to get gas for them. I'll be dead by that time (hopefully).
My problem with the Tesla is that it won’t reach mass production for 15 years. Tesla has too many projects and not enough resources. They’re still way behind on model 3 production and now they want to produce semi trucks, a pickup truck, and a supercar. They’re losing too much money per quarter, and I don’t see them introducing a new model for a few years. Elon needs more investors but that just isn’t happening right now. It’s sad to see because Elon Musk is truly the leader of this time, and his ideas are revolutionary. If he commits more to his Boring( as in tunneling) Business and space-X, as well as alternative energy solutions and transportation solutions, he’d make a far bigger impact than Tesla ever could.

I just don’t want an electric car. Sure, silence is nice. Electric luxury cars would be far better than gas powered ones. But people who buy performance cars tend to make them louder or better sounding, not quiet with a little bit of whine from a battery. And the last thing we need is 8-second electric cars thinking they’re the sh*t at the drag strip. Like “yeah, congrats. You beat a 1000hp RWD car with
a 700hp AWD Car!” I’m kinda tired already of Teslas doing no-prep events. It’s one thing to have an all-wheel drive drag car, but an electric all-wheel drive drag car is just unfair, especially when it costs $250,000.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #21
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Tesla may not be around in the next few years, they are spending money like drunken sailors! They spend WAY more than they are taking in and it cannot be sustained for much longer...having said that, I am sick of hearing about electric cars, I have zero interest in them and everyone I talk to does not either. My dealer has a Bolt sitting in the showroom, the sales manager who I am friends with siad nobody even looks at the thing let a lone shows any buying interest. People act like electricity is some new technology. And most people forget that a huge portion of the electricity produced in this country comes from fossil fuels, essentially the same thing.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #22
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Tesla may not be around in the next few years, they are spending money like drunken sailors! They spend WAY more than they are taking in and it cannot be sustained for much longer...having said that, I am sick of hearing about electric cars, I have zero interest in them and everyone I talk to does not either. My dealer has a Bolt sitting in the showroom, the sales manager who I am friends with siad nobody even looks at the thing let a lone shows any buying interest. People act like electricity is some new technology. And most people forget that a huge portion of the electricity produced in this country comes from fossil fuels, essentially the same thing.
First off, finally a mid engine Vette. wonder how many vette purest killed themselves already.

Second, have to agree about electric as being a reliable, cheap, sustainable mode of transportation. 40grand for an elctric smart car.
I dont know any cars guys that like the idea of back all those batteries in a car just to burn alive in or burn your house down. Hell they cant even keep much smaller ones from burning up. How many hover boards, cell phones and other products that use "mondern" battery technology have burned peopled and property?

Let others be the test subject. Im out.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
If not confirmed by the builder themselves , shouldn't it be considered a rumor by definition ?
It's not a rumor, they have built a mid-engine car, it just hasn't been confirmed as an official model. There are numerous proto-type photos of it on the street....so it's just a matter of when...
Old 12-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
My problem with the Tesla is that it won’t reach mass production for 15 years. Tesla has too many projects and not enough resources. They’re still way behind on model 3 production and now they want to produce semi trucks, a pickup truck, and a supercar. They’re losing too much money per quarter, and I don’t see them introducing a new model for a few years. Elon needs more investors but that just isn’t happening right now. It’s sad to see because Elon Musk is truly the leader of this time, and his ideas are revolutionary. If he commits more to his Boring( as in tunneling) Business and space-X, as well as alternative energy solutions and transportation solutions, he’d make a far bigger impact than Tesla ever could.

I just don’t want an electric car. Sure, silence is nice. Electric luxury cars would be far better than gas powered ones. But people who buy performance cars tend to make them louder or better sounding, not quiet with a little bit of whine from a battery. And the last thing we need is 8-second electric cars thinking they’re the sh*t at the drag strip. Like “yeah, congrats. You beat a 1000hp RWD car with
a 700hp AWD Car!” I’m kinda tired already of Teslas doing no-prep events. It’s one thing to have an all-wheel drive drag car, but an electric all-wheel drive drag car is just unfair, especially when it costs $250,000.
Tesla is struggling to meet their market targets and have had significant quality issues of late. Some believe Musk has too many irons in the fire. Who knows. I've nothing against them, except it seems every Tesla has a smug license plate. Not only that, but nowhere near as eco friendly as many believe.... those batteries have to go somewhere to die and the battery production requires significant natural resources (metals and such that must be mined...). Also, people worry about running out of oil. Check out where the majority of Lithium and Cobalt (not mined in US in 40 yrs) come from. Not sure we can count of ready supply without without paying an arm and leg. I wish all Tesla owners would get just a teeny, tiny clue.

I am with you... silent blasts to 60 or down the 1/4 mile just don't do anything for me. Going fast is just part of the fun.

Last edited by JUSTIFIED; 12-31-2017 at 05:32 PM.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #25
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
What gets me is they think there cars are green, there not, takes more energy to make a Tesla then a Camaro, and if they think we can power all the electric cars they want with the power grid we now have, they are smoking some of that funny cigarettes they sell now a days.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #26
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Smaller displacement, but supercharged AND turbo charged.

Small supercharger with CVT clutch, gives instant boost, while turbos spool up and then provide max boost. Also has electric motor assist - yes - hybrid.

They may drive the supercharger with an electric motor, or possibly off the crank.

LT7

C8 makes its car show debut Jan.2019 as a 2020 model. LT2 entry motor.

Notice the Black Surburban right behind C8 - Pictures? They jump out and "neutralize" the situation.

I'll have a 2020 Corvette, and a Big Mac with fries.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #27
JUSTIFIED

Quote:

The new Tesla Roadster:
  • 250+ mph top speed.
Not sure about this prediction. Every Model S requires 54kg of Graphite. China controls 65% of the Graphite market. Many of their mines have been shut down due to horrendous labor practices. I believe we'll face a tougher time obtaining the metals (Cobalt, Lithium, Graphite, etc.) required to make the volume of batteries required to truly scale up, than many believe. That also affects manufacture's ability to bring costs down, which is a prerequisite to making them accessible to the masses.

Also, Tesla owners believe they're saving the environment. They're not. Again, I have nothing against a Tesla. Just tired of the ignorant and arrogant manner in which they thumb their noses at internal combustion cars w/out any clue about the environmental impact of making and disposing of all those batteries.

Edit: As of 7/31/17 EV cars constituted 1% of all car sales. At end of 1H 2016 that number was .75%. Yes, it's a significant increase, but still a drop in bucket from a relative standpoint.

Btw, not trying to argue w/ you. Just countering that article. The EV evangelists will have you believe that EV car sales are really taking off. Not hardly.

Last edited by JUSTIFIED; 12-31-2017 at 05:55 PM.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #28
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

The new Tesla Roadster:
  • 250+ mph top speed.
And you won't be able to buy one for 10-15 years because Tesla can't build cars on time. They are announcing new models, so they can use the preorder money to build cars that were already preordered.