Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Doug DeMuro reviews ZL1

Not sure if anyone follows him, but I find his reviews to be entertaining:

Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Sorry but I absolutely Hate this Doug guy. I've watched a handful of his videos and he's a complete clueless idiot. He has no reason to be in the position he is; telling thousands of people how good a car of this caliber or much above is. His rating system makes zero sense and he has no understanding of physics behind a performance car like this. I mean just listen to him explain the handling of this car "I think it's not because it handles well its because it just has brute power".....Hello? This isn't a Shelby GT500 here, this is a car that runs a 7:29 and a wing/tires runs it into the teens at the 'Ring, but he's going to explain the handling with "Brute power"? Admittedly he did give the car a pretty high score on his list; until you realize that things like an F-250 and a Model X are in the top 5.

Did you watch his review of the Acura NSX? A car that any other formidable car magazine like Motor Trend thoroughly trashed, he thought it was amazing, and excused away all of its failures and quirks because he simply LIKED the car. His reviews for other cars like the ZR1 (C6) and Ferrari 488 were hilarious as well. Most of his comments and rankings are purely based off of how much he likes the Car and or the Company that built it. He comes from Ricer roots (No offense to the inner ricers here) and that shows in his reviews. European and American cars get half of the points others do; he gloats over extreme luxury cars, and pretty much hardly holds back laughing at Hellcats and the like. All in all, he definitely is not a qualified car reviewer and is responsible for misleading thousands of people. Execute.

Rant over.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Sorry but I absolutely Hate this Doug guy. I've watched a handful of his videos and he's a complete clueless idiot. He has no reason to be in the position he is; telling thousands of people how good a car of this caliber or much above is. His rating system makes zero sense and he has no understanding of physics behind a performance car like this. I mean just listen to him explain the handling of this car "I think it's not because it handles well its because it just has brute power".....Hello? This isn't a Shelby GT500 here, this is a car that runs a 7:29 and a wing/tires runs it into the teens at the 'Ring, but he's going to explain the handling with "Brute power"? Admittedly he did give the car a pretty high score on his list; until you realize that things like an F-250 and a Model X are in the top 5.

Did you watch his review of the Acura NSX? A car that any other formidable car magazine like Motor Trend thoroughly trashed, he thought it was amazing, and excused away all of its failures and quirks because he simply LIKED the car. His reviews for other cars like the ZR1 (C6) and Ferrari 488 were hilarious as well. All in all, he definitely is not a qualified car reviewer and is responsible for misleading thousands of people. Execute.

Rant over.
I bet he understands the physics of understeer these days though
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
I've done a YT interview back some months for my car.. But, yeah, most of the YT stuff is just meh.. play it on mute, it makes it much more tolerable.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
I bet he understands the physics of understeer these days though
Are you talking about the camaro test mule wreck? That was a different dude. They do look similar though

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquem View Post
Are you talking about the camaro test mule wreck? That was a different dude. They do look similar though
Nice car... Looks very familiar.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquem View Post
Doug did have a small incident with a hellcat, which at the time was owned by a small youtuber by the name of streetspeed717 (skip to 4:21 for the slide)

Iroc_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
Doug did have a small incident with a hellcat, which at the time was owned by a small youtuber by the name of streetspeed717 (skip to 4:21 for the slide)

I'm glad to report that StreetSpeed717 is no longer a small youtuber (600,000 subs as of now) and is ten times the YouTuber that Doug is. Doug is a complete clown and I pretty much don't know anybody that respects his reviews and opinions on cars. Way too free lance and biased. Also, about the above video, when he goes to explain himself, I'm 99% sure he's lying that it was fourth gear, looks an AWFUL lot like he went into third after a mild second gear roll on and third is when the actual slip took place.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Hey Buddy!
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

Did you watch his review of the Acura NSX? A car that any other formidable car magazine like Motor Trend thoroughly trashed, he thought it was amazing, and excused away all of its failures and quirks because he simply LIKED the car. His reviews for other cars like the ZR1 (C6) and Ferrari 488 were hilarious as well. Most of his comments and rankings are purely based off of how much he likes the Car and or the Company that built it. He comes from Ricer roots (No offense to the inner ricers here) and that shows in his reviews. European and American cars get half of the points others do; he gloats over extreme luxury cars, and pretty much hardly holds back laughing at Hellcats and the like. All in all, he definitely is not a qualified car reviewer and is responsible for misleading thousands of people. Execute.

Rant over.
There is something off-putting about his videos. I honestly cannot put a finger on it because he seems like a decent dude. I also cannot stand videos that are over 15 minutes of the same person talking. Motortrend is about the only one I can handle that goes beyond 10 minutes because it at least changes approach throughout the video.

I have started to lose interest in Matt from Obsessed garage because of the 45 minute videos that drone on.

Maybe the charisma of some "vloggers" is the key. I can watch Nick Murray all damn day, Streetspeed717 isnt bad...even that goofy Moran kid who screamed like a parrot when launching the ZL1 is alright.

But... decent review otherwise lol. I admire the enthusiasm.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
A couple things:

1) to the zl1 owner (who i'm sure is on this board), please for the love of pete get rid of that horrible stick on thing by the nav screen controls. I hope no one who sees this video believes that is a factory piece.

2) Doug's reviews are great, but you can stop them (and you'll enjoy them more if you do) before he actually goes and drives the cars. He really isn't a "car guy" and his on road feedback is soooo bad. If you skip that, his reviews are actually great and i always learn some really interesting quirks about the cars he reviews. I bet there will be more than one person on this forum that learns about the trunk release because of this video!

His scoring was pretty bad, but of course, we're all biased.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
A couple things:

2) Doug's reviews are great, but you can stop them (and you'll enjoy them more if you do) before he actually goes and drives the cars. He really isn't a "car guy" and his on road feedback is soooo bad. If you skip that, his reviews are actually great and i always learn some really interesting quirks about the cars he reviews.
This. I enjoy the videos for the quirks. I also agree that the owner should ditch that chrome radio trim... Ugh.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Couldn't finish, I threw up when I saw the fleabay stick-on aluminum badge in the interior.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #14
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Couldn't finish, I threw up when I saw the fleabay stick-on aluminum badge in the interior.
:bellyroll :
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote