#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Manual vs. Auto

To start, I know that the TM issues hamper this car for drag racing, so I am already aware of it regarding both transmissions.

I currently own a M6 SS, and I do prefer the manual transmission car. However, I wanted to get some feedback as I'm currently looking at two 2018 cars fairly close in price and wanted to see pros/cons from current owners.

I'm not opposed to owning an auto, and I am in fact looking at one today around 5pm. The big thing I do enjoy about my current M6 is that I can downshift and really enjoy the power on demand, where I have always felt in the past the autos did not have that. I have not yet driven an A10 model ZL1, so I cannot compare.

Thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
rjacobs

Drives: none
Drive the A10... you will buy one.

Want to downshift, tap the paddles.

I honestly dont find myself using the paddles at all unless I want to hold a gear like in the twisties. On the street you push the peddle and the trans always seems to find the sweet spot in the gears and it goes...right now.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Either way they both are awesome vehicles. With the A10, tap the gas and it downshifts instantly and takes off. No searching for the right gear. No gas pedal dead spots, you know, where you press the gas and it doesn't go because it's in that weird speed/RPM where it can't downshift. Just instant acceleration. You'll be pleased. I doubt anyone with the A10 has buyer's remorse even if they preferred the M6. It basically is a toss up. Either way the car will be super fun!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
Dangler

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The A10 is a fantastic transmission. My past sports cars have been SMG/Dual Clutch and I would say this transmission is more responsive and aggressive than those true SMG transmissions. I really like it

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...l1-test-review
Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Thanks for the responses so far guys, these are the kinds of responses I'm looking for. I normally wouldn't be considering the A10 due to the cost, but I managed to luck out on a deal and I am seriously considering it now.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
The A10 has a feel of a manual too when u get on the throttle
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
A10!!!Ive had two prior M6 camaros. When i read up on the auto 10 it sounded amazing. I had super high hopes. This car has far exceeded all my expectations. You just need to pop the throttle to get into performance shift mode...its more responsive in sport or track (or any five other modes under competitive driving). Downshifts for you...on up shifts between 2-5 its like a bike the way it riffles off shifts. I brought mine to a very reputable tuner to get his opinion...he hadn't driven on yet. When he paddle shifted he was like "Wow that is fast! Faster then a lambo huracan!" Down the road...with a good tuner...they can set it up to shift even more aggressively...to throw you forward if you know what i mean. As it is.. it is amazingly smooth, never searching and always in the sweet spot when you want it to be.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I was very impressed with the capabilities of the A6 in the 5th Gen Zl1. It has a very aggressive tune but with 4 more gears and more agressive, how can you not like that. Love the paddles in the twisties.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
Brink

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I love my A10, no complaints at all. I was die hard manual until I drove one, it's nothing like past autos. It does what you when you want it to do it and shifts faster than any stick ever could. With that said, it doesn't connect you to the car like a manual does, if you're willing to give that up for speed and consistency then the auto is for you.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Devilreject.. exactly like me.. If you were brought up on a Manual then you will not like the Auto.. Even though the auto is bad ass especially off the line and easier to launch. I test drove the A10 5 times and still couldn't be persuaded.. Nothing beats the rev match! and some of the courses I drive I use on 2 or 3rd so shifting is not really a problem. roll racing is 99% of my driving, why?... cause i'm on the hwy all the time that's where I encounter racers I don't think it has a much advantage unless you don't know how to no lift shift. But off the line the A10 is a lot quicker..

1 thing i couldn't stand was dropping down into performance mode or getting it in that mode.. or if i drove normal for a bit it came out of the mode.

also it felt unrealistic and not like a M6 when it was in 2 or 3 in performance mode like it wasn't in the right gear.. Im sure it was in kill mode and in the right gear it just felt weird.

And again no rev match.. with the rev match its just freaking fun.. especially with headers and the ATAk..

I'm sure its a preference thing.. I do wish off the line I got a A10 sometimes.. but its feels like your more in control of your driving with the M6..

I also think down the line modding is less expensive and less hassle..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
To start, I know that the TM issues hamper this car for drag racing, so I am already aware of it regarding both transmissions.

I currently own a M6 SS, and I do prefer the manual transmission car. However, I wanted to get some feedback as I'm currently looking at two 2018 cars fairly close in price and wanted to see pros/cons from current owners.

I'm not opposed to owning an auto, and I am in fact looking at one today around 5pm. The big thing I do enjoy about my current M6 is that I can downshift and really enjoy the power on demand, where I have always felt in the past the autos did not have that. I have not yet driven an A10 model ZL1, so I cannot compare.

Thoughts would be appreciated!
No problem with feeling power upon acceleration with the A10. Very crisp shifts and very responsive.

But it’s still just a torque converter based auto like in any other car. Durability wise, it’s the weakest link in the drivetrain. A few (more than will actually admit) members of the forum have had overheating and shift quality issues pushing hard during track use. But most will have no problems with it. As far as responsiveness, it’s fabulous. But it will never respond as well as an experienced manual driver can make an M6 respond.

I bought the M6 because it’s my Sunday car and I live in the desert with little traffic. If I still lived in LA or any other city with traffic or if it was my daily driver, I’d take the a10.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
M6, because at the end of the day you feel more in tune with the road. If you are a road/track enthusiast I still think it is the only way to go.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #13
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I can always tell the manual guys, they have a dial up phone in their pocket.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #14
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I can always tell the manual guys, they have a dial up phone in their pocket.
Like this?

Haha..

I test drove a C7 A8 Z06 and an M6 Z06.. Tried to love the auto but just couldn't do it.. the Z06 (ZL1 as well) just feels so badass that I couldn't just stepping on the gas without shifting.. made the car feel like a luxury car in a sense:(

Butttt... I never drove the A10 and I wonder if it's that much better. I would say drive both. I don't drag race so getting off the line consistently never crossed my mind. Can't go wrong with either or tho.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote