Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
jhempsrt4

Drives: braaaaap
Stock M6 SS on drag radials, help please

I have some 19 inch CTSV wheels with Nitto drag radials that I threw on hoping to set some personal bests, but I sucked. I couldn't get below a 1.9 60 to save my life. How do you guys launch this thing with sticky tires?
jhempsrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
avacamaro
avacamaro

Drives: 2016 silver SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempsrt4 View Post
I have some 19 inch CTSV wheels with Nitto drag radials that I threw on hoping to set some personal bests, but I sucked. I couldn't get below a 1.9 60 to save my life. How do you guys launch this thing with sticky tires?
Had Z06 last 15 years in Corvettes ,Shelby's and Camaro's. This 16 is my first Auto. I've never been able to be consistent with a clutch. That's why I bought an Auto.
But!! try launching at 2K no more and air down to 18 lbs. Best was the Shelby at a 1.7.

Last edited by avacamaro; 06-01-2017 at 07:57 AM.
avacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Been through this myself. I just got a new tip from the fastest stock M6 grease monkey.

You can use Launch control but my opinion is the RPM is too low for DRs. It cannot hurt to try it. But with it you cannot control your launch RPM (#6).

Try this:

1. If you have MRC, go to Settings and lock in tour mode (New tip!)
2. Put the car in track mode with the console button
3. Tap the TC button twice
4. Set the DR TP to 18 pounds
5. Do your burnout in 2nd gear
6. Launch at 4-4.5K feeding in the clutch quickly as much as the tires will take

If you have sticky wide DRs you might try dumping the clutch, but maybe bring some spare axles to the track.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
jhempsrt4

Drives: braaaaap
Thanks for the tips guys, I don't have MRC. I did my best using launch control, but I still bogged quite a bit. When I launched without launch control, I had a tendency to blow the tires off.
jhempsrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
I've been fighting my slicks for the past year or so. If you're too quick on the clutch, it bogs, and if it's too slow it spins the clutch. The accumulator on the clutch line isn't helping anything I suspect.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
It's almost worth somebody who has the launch mastered doing a video. 2k on street tires will bog it
down.

I've heard just letting off the clutch easy and rolling in as fast as the tires will take. Now more new suggestions above. Lol

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Cdflyer

I've dumped it at 5K on the slicks. Car bunny hops. Every time I slip the clutch it feels like I'm burning it, even though there is no smell. It kinda goes against all "natural" feeling. After a bit of consulting with other M6 drivers, I think a lot has to do with the factory line between the master and slave. There's a "buffer" that's not quite allowing the clutch to function just like our foot is commanding it it. Hopefully I can get it fixed and replaced in the near future.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
I've dumped it at 5K on the slicks. Car bunny hops. Every time I slip the clutch it feels like I'm burning it, even though there is no smell. It kinda goes against all "natural" feeling. After a bit of consulting with other M6 drivers, I think a lot has to do with the factory line between the master and slave. There's a "buffer" that's not quite allowing the clutch to function just like our foot is commanding it it. Hopefully I can get it fixed and replaced in the near future.
dumping the clutch will just cause tire spin or bogging the engine or snapping something in the drive train. slipping the clutch is required... of course it is tough on the clutch... you are drag racing with a manual transmission.

there is no "launch control" for drag racing with an M6... all the computer can do is cut the power if the tires start to spin... (i.e. feels like motor is bogging) Nothing is controlling the clutch release but you.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Cdflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
dumping the clutch will just cause tire spin or bogging the engine or snapping something in the drive train. slipping the clutch is required... of course it is tough on the clutch... you are drag racing with a manual transmission.

there is no "launch control" for drag racing with an M6... all the computer can do is cut the power if the tires start to spin... (i.e. feels like motor is bogging) Nothing is controlling the clutch release but you.
I was actually trying to induce tire spin. My car 60's the best with about 3 tire rotations from the hit. But even side stepping it at 5K with 27 psi in the slicks resulted in an instant bog. With the help of another, we discovered that GM has kept us from being able to completely just dump the clutch. It has a built in buffer.

As for "launch control" there is a way to control how quick the clutch releases, essentially "controlling the launch". It'll take all the inconsistencies out of the left leg. I'm still waiting on parts to complete it unfortunately.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:33 AM   #10
1slowssm6

Drives: 2016 1ss m6 Camaro
weird,i clutch dumped mine on slicks at 4k and it just went,no hopping,maybe 1 rotation and hooked spot on 16 psi in them,slipping the clutch on slicks is defeating the purpose of a slick imo,slip on a radial,dump on a slick,ill be back at the track in june still stock with new bmr pieces see if i can break into the 11's,hopefully the axles hold cause its getting a 5k dump lol
1slowssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:57 AM   #11
GreaseMonkey83

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post

I have run across this as well I believe, its almost like the pedal hangs up and doesn't release with your foot. It feels a lot like a slave cylinder starting to go bad. I was actually planning on bleeding the clutch to see if that helped at all.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
Steve 2016 SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
I have the same set up on my 16 SS with Nitto DR's on the 19's. Funny enough my best pass to date (11.96) was with my Cup 2's but in a negative DA last fall. The same day I put my DR's on so excited to see what I could get with them I broke an axle...I use the following for launch regardless of tires. Track mode, TC off and hold throttle to 2500 then let it out, if no wheel spin I keep it to the floor if it spins I feather it till it grips. I've tried everything and this seems to limit wheel spins as much as possible.Not saying its the best wat but best results I had were doing this.
Steve 2016 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #13
ZXCamaro
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I heard track mode was not for the drag strip. I heard it has lazy throttle response for the first half of the pedal. And that sport mode/TC off was best for the drag strip.
ZXCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
Cdflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey83 View Post
I have run across this as well I believe, its almost like the pedal hangs up and doesn't release with your foot. It feels a lot like a slave cylinder starting to go bad. I was actually planning on bleeding the clutch to see if that helped at all.
There is what we believe to be a sort of buffer in the line. It's right behind the brake pedal and looks like a 2" disc with a hex head on it. We've pretty much figured out that it restricts how fast the clutch will apply. I'm actually putting my car in the garage right now to hopefully remove it for good with Tick's braided line.....assuming all the fittings from the Gen 5 are the same.