Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #29
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Tesla is struggling to meet their market targets and have had significant quality issues of late. Some believe Musk has too many irons in the fire. Who knows. I've nothing against them, except it seems every Tesla has a smug license plate. Not only that, but nowhere near as eco friendly as many believe.... those batteries have to go somewhere to die and the battery production requires significant natural resources (metals and such that must be mined...). Also, people worry about running out of oil. Check out where the majority of Lithium and Cobalt (not mined in US in 40 yrs) come from. Not sure we can count of ready supply without without paying an arm and leg. I wish all Tesla owners would get just a teeny, tiny clue.

I am with you... silent blasts to 60 or down the 1/4 mile just don't do anything for me. Going fast is just part of the fun.
I took a ride in a Tesla a month or so ago... It was interesting, but something was definitely missing.
I imagine that is what it is like to make love to a mute woman.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #30
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Not sure about this prediction. Every Model S requires 54kg of Graphite. China controls 65% of the Graphite market. Many of their mines have been shut down due to horrendous labor practices. I believe we'll face a tougher time obtaining the metals (Cobalt, Lithium, Graphite, etc.) required to make the volume of batteries required to truly scale up, than many believe. That also affects manufacture's ability to bring costs down, which is a prerequisite to making them accessible to the masses.

Also, Tesla owners believe they're saving the environment. They're not. Again, I have nothing against a Tesla. Just tired of the ignorant and arrogant manner in which they thumb their noses at internal combustion cars w/out any clue about the environmental impact of making and disposing of all those batteries.

Edit: As of 7/31/17 EV cars constituted 1% of all car sales. At end of 1H 2016 that number was .75%. Yes, it's a significant increase, but still a drop in bucket from a relative standpoint.

Btw, not trying to argue w/ you. Just countering that article. The EV evangelists will have you believe that EV car sales are really taking off. Not hardly.
Agreed. As a nation we are finally getting to a point where we produce enough oil and natural gas (both efficiently and inexpensively) so that we don't have to buy energy from countries who despise us and want to destroy us.
So that we... can retool and then utilize a new technology that requires us to purchase the needed components from countries who despise us and want to destroy us.... Brilliant! It is as if no one has considered the sizable strategic, ecological, human rights and economic impact of this.

Meanwhile in China and India, more pollutants are introduced into the atmosphere and oceans in 1 week than the US produces in a year.

The big question as you suggested is, where will we dispose of and/or store those highly toxic 600-1200 lb. batteries. Which will start to become a problem very soon.

Sorry for the rant. Way off topic. LOVE ME SOME LT7!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #31
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
First off, finally a mid engine Vette. wonder how many vette purest killed themselves already.

Second, have to agree about electric as being a reliable, cheap, sustainable mode of transportation. 40grand for an elctric smart car.
I dont know any cars guys that like the idea of back all those batteries in a car just to burn alive in or burn your house down. Hell they cant even keep much smaller ones from burning up. How many hover boards, cell phones and other products that use "mondern" battery technology have burned peopled and property?

Let others be the test subject. Im out.
1000% agree!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #32
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
And you won't be able to buy one for 10-15 years because Tesla can't build cars on time. They are announcing new models, so they can use the preorder money to build cars that were already preordered.
I keep hearing this but a family member just got one of their big trucks built and it was delivered the exact day (Friday)they promised.

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 01-01-2018 at 01:22 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #33
6spdhyperblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post

Meanwhile in China and India, more pollutants are introduced into the atmosphere and oceans in 1 week than the US produces in a year.

Sorry for the rant. Way off topic. LOVE ME SOME LT7!
One could argue our goods, requiring the most pollutants, are done in China and India then imported because of regulations/costs here

And yup the battery waste is likely going to be worse than burning fuel

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 01-01-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #34
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
I keep hearing this but a family member just got one of their big trucks built and it was delivered the exact day (Friday)they promised.
Tesla will not start making them till 2019 and as we all know that will mean if there luck some time in 2020 you can get one.

Quote:
LOUISVILLE — UPS Inc. is making a big investment in all-electric big rigs by placing an order for 125 of the sleek new semi trucks from Tesla.

Published reports put the cost of the trucks at between $150,000 and $200,000 each and that the UPS order is the largest to date for a vehicle unveiled in November.

That could set the package and freight delivery company with its main air hub in Louisville back as much as $25 million.

Tesla expects to begin producing the vehicles in 2019.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #35
6spdhyperblue

I’m talking about a model x. Didn’t know what the model was called at the time