Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #3613
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Remember Hyundai in it's early days or even Sony?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #3614
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
While maybe not up to the level of Samsung or Sony, LG had improved significantly from the "Lucky Goldstar" days.

Agreed, they have invested something like $6 Billion in recent years to buy market share and improve quality.

2015 Market share;

Samsung 21%
LG 12.4%
TCL / Sony / Hisense 5.6% each
Skyworth 4.6%
AOC / Panasonic / Vizio 3-4% each
All others 32%

Quality though, Visio is on par with Samsung, then Sony then guessing Panasonic, leaving LG competing with Hisense for 5th at best.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #3615
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Agreed, they have invested something like $6 Billion in recent years to buy market share and improve quality.

2015 Market share;

Samsung 21%
LG 12.4%
Skyworth 4.6%
All others 32%

Quality though, Visio is on par with Samsung.
When I replaced my 52" Samsung with a new 55" SUHD Samsung 2 weeks ago... the Vizio screen/pictures side-by-side weren't even close.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #3616
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
When I replaced my 52" Samsung with a new 55" SUHD Samsung 2 weeks ago... the Vizio screen/pictures side-by-side weren't even close.
Don't doubt it. All sets are shipped pre-set and there hasn't been an impartial reliable retail store selling TVs for almost 20 years now. Retail stores will consistently connect the highest profit models with the best equipment, leading you right into their pockets (Best Buy operating procedure). In general, Samsung has a slight edge based on history, though the difference is nearly undetectable and the level of difference we're talking can easily be swayed simply by person to person or model year.

General comparison
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #3617
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post

2015 Market share;

Samsung 21%
LG 12.4%
Skyworth 4.6%
All others 32%

Quality though, Visio is on par with Samsung, then Sony then guessing Panasonic, leaving LG competing with Hisense for 5th at best.
Vizio is far from being on par with Samsung when talking about picture quality and longevity. Vizio is actually considered the best of the "cheap" brands on the home theater forums. LG, is better. I have a Vizio in my garage as it was cheap, but wouldn't use one in my house...but I'm very picky. All of my indoor TV's are Samsungs. Also remember, market share has nothing to do with quality and any TV can be adjusted to look better then one next to it, or adjusted to look like crap.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #3618
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Vizio is far from being on par with Samsung when talking about picture quality and longevity. Vizio is actually considered the best of the "cheap" brands on the home theater forums. LG, is better. I have a Vizio in my garage as it was cheap, but wouldn't use one in my house...but I'm very picky. All of my indoor TV's are Samsungs. Also remember, market share has nothing to do with quality and any TV can be adjusted to look better then one next to it, or adjusted to look like crap.
My brother has a LG, not even close to my Sony Bravia. His picture looks totally washed out and faded compared to the Sony. His daughter told him to by a tv like uncle kenny's.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #3619
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
I agree that Visio is not close to the top. I have an older Samsung(6 yrs) and just bought a much higher def Visio as a replacement. Sat them side by side and there is no comparison - the Visio is noticeable much poorer quality.
On another note, I remember the Goldstar monitors from old days. Later on I worked at Home Depot when they started carrying LG Appliances and had the same concerns about the Gold star heritage. Appliances have been pretty reliable.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #3620
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
+1 I may not be a videophile, but I do read and research a lot before spending my money on new equipment.

Last edited by sherob; 08-16-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:29 PM   #3621
derklug1

Drives: 2016 GT350
Regardless of the manufacturer, I like the concept of the full dash screen. Just think, you could have the dash of any car you wanted at the push of a button. Feeling racy, pull up the NASCAR dash, feeling nostalgic, pull up the 69 ElDorado dash. This opens up a whole new world of design.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #3622
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
My brother has a LG, not even close to my Sony Bravia. His picture looks totally washed out and faded compared to the Sony. His daughter told him to by a tv like uncle kenny's.
Sorry to drag this thread even more off topic, but unless you are comparing TVs with near exact specs and features from competing brands, and you viewed them running off the exact same source input, and their colors where calibrated, then your arguments on which is better is null and void. Some people see TVs on the wall at their store and think how much better this looks than that, but that could be due to many reasons.

I am not a Vizio cheerleader, but I own one of their "lower" end 55" 'E' Series models from the 2015 model year. The picture I get at home with a decent source input looks miles better than the display at the store. Just saying. I bought it in part because it has local array diming which means it can dim or brighten certain parts of the screen independently instead of using just a backlighting source, giving it more screen contrast. Coming from a Plasma, I wanted a TV that could still do good darks. This feature (at the time) in other brands was only found in higher priced sets.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #3623
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
One last bit on the off topic TV thread. Vizio definitely makes a decent product, but from my own eyes seeing them, Samsung makes the best TVs. A few years ago, a friend and I upgraded our TV's around the same time. I went with a Sharp LCD TV, he went with a Samsung LCD. Both had the same specs, we had the same equipment but the picture quality on his Samsung absolutely demolishes my Sharp TV. My parents have a Samsung in the garage, it has a clearer picture of the antenna than their LG in the living room on HD lol.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #3624
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I have Samsungs and Vizios. All great TVs.

My parents' Sony is terrible though.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #3625
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 08-16-2016 at 02:59 PM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #3626
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Polar bear in a snowstorm?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions