Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #15
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Thanks for all the input everyone
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
steelheadrob
Tactical Garage

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Haven't seen a Whipple in the 9's yet. Sledge is running 10.30's and has a bunch of hp, cam, pistons, full exhaust with headers although his car has the potential for those numbers.. Shouldn't be a problem with a Maggie since I've already put down that hp and went 10.03 spinning the tires. I know Whipple sounds cool, but just because its a 2.9 and the Maggie has 2300 it appears the performance is on the side of the Maggie just going by the fast list for PD SC's. So choose wisely my friend.
No doubt Maggie has some talented drag racers using their 2.3 supercharger and has been a tremendous support to this forum. I have seen a ZL1 with a whipple go 10.04 in DA of 4,500 (facebook not here). Some how I think if you unbolted a Maggie and bolted on the Whipple or vice versa on same car, same track, same driver the results would be very similar. I have also been impressed with the P-1X car results that Pray has been posting. Ultimately I think any of the three are great options.
steelheadrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #17
Inkedmongo

Drives: 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It's doable even with a P1x. Pray has already done it.
With what other mods though? I'm still trying to decide if I am even going to go e85 or not despite buying the flex sensor already.
Inkedmongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #18
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkedmongo View Post
With what other mods though? I'm still trying to decide if I am even going to go e85 or not despite buying the flex sensor already.
there is a thread here covering it. P1x, meth, long tubes, converter. Made like 660-670 in 5th gear. The best part is it went 10.0 @ 138-139 in 1500-2000 da which tells me it was making some steam.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #19
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
700hp on a Whipple isnt going to be easy at all, you will have issues with the heat exchanger at the minimum.

You are going to need the whole LT4 fuel system, in tank pump / high side pump / injectors. Even then you wont have the headroom to run E85 reliably and get to 700rwhp. You could do it on gas but as said you will need meth injection.

Every shop I checked out said the same thing, running full on E85 with no meth and making near 700rwhp isnt going to happen without a secondary fuel system if you want it reliable.

Also, at 700rwhp you are going to need to worry about pistons as well, they are weak in and around the wrist pin location and tend to want to break the ring land out in that area once you get near or over the 700rwhp range.
I politely disagree, The package mentioned above that we offer has been running for 2 years and ran hard daily, it makes 726 RWHP on E-85 and 9 PSI boost.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481614
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #20
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
My opinion is, what you want, 700 rwhp on E85 with a supercharger and just LT4 fuel parts, while still using the stock LT1 cam and fuel lobe, is probably too much to expect. Even with a bigger fuel lobe and a cam, Mr Jannetty apparently had to dilute the E85 to run that kind of power. With stock LT1 cam and therefore the small fuel lobe, I think you'd have 2 important differences from his build: less fuel flow and less efficiency. He also had a fuel pump voltage booster for the low side but he did not say whether the LT4 low side had a pressure loss without that mod or not.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
My opinion is, what you want, 700 rwhp on E85 with a supercharger and just LT4 fuel parts, while still using the stock LT1 cam and fuel lobe, is probably too much to expect. Even with a bigger fuel lobe and a cam, Mr Jannetty apparently had to dilute the E85 to run that kind of power. With stock LT1 cam and therefore the small fuel lobe, I think you'd have 2 important differences from his build: less fuel flow and less efficiency. He also had a fuel pump voltage booster for the low side but he did not say whether the LT4 low side had a pressure loss without that mod or not.
Correct you must have the cam to get the required air and fuel flow for 700+ RWHP.

The LT-4 in tank pump need a fuel pump voltage booster with any forced induction.

Ted.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #22
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Correct you must have the cam to get the required air and fuel flow for 700+ RWHP.

The LT-4 in tank pump need a fuel pump voltage booster with any forced induction.

Ted.
What about shooting for 600whp? Will the LT4 fuel system and voltage booster support that on E78 with the stock LT1 cam?
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #23
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I politely disagree, The package mentioned above that we offer has been running for 2 years and ran hard daily, it makes 726 RWHP on E-85 and 9 PSI boost.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481614

While you want to disagree, the OP said he wanted to do this on the stock cam and the last you and I spoke along with the conversation I had with the shop that did my build, it isnt possible on the stock cam.

Doesnt your build have the upgraded cam with fuel lobe along with unlocking the OEM fuel pump module?

Based on what I have read on the Camaro and Corvette forums, the LT1 is on borrowed time on the stock pistons once over 700rwhp unless the build includes changing out the rings to address the gap issues from the factory. Been several cars posted up just over 700rwhp that ended up with broken ring lands. Part of the reason I kept my tune conservative on my car. I dont want to get into drop in pistons as I know it will snow ball and turn into pistons, rods, cam, fuel module tuning, full LT4 fuel system and shooting to be near 800rwhp while being $10k or more lighter in the pocket book.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #24
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
What about shooting for 600whp? Will the LT4 fuel system and voltage booster support that on E78 with the stock LT1 cam?
My personal 16 Camaro with Whipple, LT4 fuel system, JMS FPVB, made over 616 on E-60 at 9 psi.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502348
Old 07-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #25
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
While you want to disagree, the OP said he wanted to do this on the stock cam and the last you and I spoke along with the conversation I had with the shop that did my build, it isnt possible on the stock cam.

Doesnt your build have the upgraded cam with fuel lobe along with unlocking the OEM fuel pump module?

Based on what I have read on the Camaro and Corvette forums, the LT1 is on borrowed time on the stock pistons once over 700rwhp unless the build includes changing out the rings to address the gap issues from the factory. Been several cars posted up just over 700rwhp that ended up with broken ring lands. Part of the reason I kept my tune conservative on my car. I dont want to get into drop in pistons as I know it will snow ball and turn into pistons, rods, cam, fuel module tuning, full LT4 fuel system and shooting to be near 800rwhp while being $10k or more lighter in the pocket book.
I apologize I missed the stock cam part.

The forums are full of opinions but I am in the trenches every day building these cars so I know what I can and can not do and share it here.

I appreciate your conservative approach.

Ted.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #26
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I think you may be pretty safe at 700whp up north where it is cool, especially if a quarter mile run is the hardest the car will run. But where I'm at it is 108 on the thermometer today and the engines don't hold up as well when it is hot. I broke the stock piston rings in my car at 650 whp about 25 minutes into a serious road racing session. It depends on the track but where I usually run the track has 5 straights more than 1/4 mile and a lot of slow 2nd gear corners. Think of this, you run 5 quarter miles every 2 minutes..... brake for the short return road everytime and keep doing it over and over for at least 30 minutes. (On open track days I've stayed out for a full tank of gas at times) Or if I want to test the car in another way, I can go take the 2 lane road out to little city, drive 30 continuous miles at speeds of 150+mph and maybe pass 3 cars on the whole trip....maybe... with the ambient at 100+ degrees. I always chuckle when someone says they beat on their car everyday and they drive it in the city up north, I've been up there and you can't possibly push the limits of a car up there like you can in my neighborhood. Now if you live in Arizona or Nevada or out in some sparsely populated southern area, yeah..... If you take it to the road racing track when it is hot and you run some long sessions.... If it is a "fast" track.....with high speed corners, that's easier. Try the "tight" tracks where you brake it down to 20 mph in the hairpins then hammer it up to 140+mph on the straights a few times and see what happens. Of course if the engine breaks it doesn't cost the tuner anything.... its your loss.

I've been in the trenches and flogged my car for all it had and then got fragged, so I tell people, I think they should keep a stock LT1 below 650whp if they really don't want to rebuild it. 9's are going be tough with the Whipple. You are probably better off with the E85 for engine longevity but this engine is going to run out of fuel. You can get around 700whp without the cam lobe... my car did it on race gas.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #27
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I’m keeping my 4.5 pulley on my d1x at 7psi cause I’m in tx and I beat on this car, 3 sets of rear tires in 15k miles. Drop in pistons and then i’ll Look for pulley. Figure I,m around 625 rwhp with 4.5 d1x, Pray cam, Pray heads, headers, ported MSD, 103 mm TB. I'm going to work on the crank case vent, and the an upgraded BOV on the high side hard pipe to go over 7 PSI. Then next year forged pistons, LT4 pump, probably Lingenfelter injectors and a Low side by pass.

The only thing that would change my mind is a 8 injector Goetz intake and a second controller, but that is not without problems, one of which is money.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 07-19-2018 at 10:52 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I’m keeping my 4.5 pulley on my d1x at 7psi cause I’m in tx and I beat on this car, 3 sets of rear tires in 15k miles. Drop in pistons and then i’ll Look for pulley. Figure I,m around 625 rwhp with 4.5 d1x, Pray cam, Pray heads, headers, ported MSD, 103 mm TB. I'm going to work on the crank case vent, and the an upgraded BOV on the high side hard pipe to go over 7 PSI. Then next year forged pistons, LT4 pump, probably Lingenfelter injectors and a Low side by pass.

The only thing that would change my mind is a 8 injector Goetz intake and a second controller, but that is not without problems, one of which is money.
You will always make more power with direct injection only vs direct/port injection combo just need the right direct injection parts.

Ted.