Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #99
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I agree call it something else. The Z/28 was never the halo model until the 5th gen put at the top of the food chain
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #100
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I understand where you're coming from and think the SS 1LE is the star of the gen6 for that reason. NA brilliance.

Having that base covered, it would be cool to see a halo LT5 Camaro called Z/28. The Camaro team would do it right and it would finish the 6th gen with a exclamation point.

The 1LE name has been around for many generations and it really never picked up speed. Chevy in IMO should have just named it Z/28 and I believe that today. Do away with the 1LE name, make it Z/28 and do a LT5 ZL1
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #101
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Devils advocate here. I've no strong feels about retiring or using the Z/28 name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I agree call it something else. The Z/28 was never the halo model until the 5th gen put at the top of the food chain
Then why the objection in using the Z/28 name for a forced induction car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The 1LE name has been around for many generations and it really never picked up speed. Chevy in IMO should have just named it Z/28 and I believe that today. Do away with the 1LE name, make it Z/28 and do a LT5 ZL1
Problem with obsoleting the 1LE name is that it is applied across 4 levels. Enthusiast know what a 1LE is and that is the only group it is marketed toward. Chevy has really established 1LE as the real thing in all the magazine gen6 reviews too.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #102
shaffe

Quote:
Devils advocate here. I've no strong feels about retiring or using the Z/28 name.

Problem with obsoleting the 1LE name is that it is applied across 4 levels. Enthusiast know what a 1LE is and that is the only group it is marketed toward. Chevy has really established 1LE as the real thing in all the magazine gen6 reviews too.
They made a big deal about it being NA and how it stayed true to the Z/28 history in the 5th gen car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

7.0L, LS7 the heart of the Camaro Z/28’s track-capable performance

Like the original, the new Camaro Z/28 forgoes ultimate horsepower and torque for improved weight balance and track performance.

In 1967, the most-powerful engine available in a factory Camaro was a 396 cid V-8 with 375 horsepower. To prepare the Camaro Z/28 for road racing, engineers specified a lighter, 302 cid V-8, officially rated at 290 horsepower. While the 302 was not the choice for drag racers, it proved ideal for sports-car racing.

Today, the most-powerful engine offered is the Camaro ZL1’s supercharged 6.2L LSA, which delivers 580 horsepower. The heart of the 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the lighter, naturally aspirated 7.0L LS7 first introduced in the Corvette Z06.

“The LS7 is ideal for road racing because it delivers amazing performance in a compact, lightweight package,” said Jordan Lee, Small Block chief engineer and program manager. “The broad torque curve and high redline of the LS7 mean fewer shifts are required for each lap, while the lightweight design improves the front-to-rear weight balance for better handling.”
Just seems to me that team Camaro knows that NA is ideal for a car like the Z/28, the LT5 just doesn't seem to be the right choice.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 07-17-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #103
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I still appreciate history behind the names of some of these cars. The Z/28 was never some super high horsepower car. To me the LT5 doesn't fit with the history of the car and with how big a deal team Camaro made of the 5th gen car being NA they seem to agree.
The 1LE should have been Z/28 but Chevy was using it instead of SS so the 1LE was born in the 80s

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #104
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:

Do a 4 banger 1le, v6 1le, ZL1 1le, Z/28 instead of a SS 1LE and a regular SS, Bases covered and the Z/28 comes marching back. IMO Z/28 will always have much more meaning and following than 1LE
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #105
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

What does being a halo model or not have to do with staying n/a?
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #106
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Do a 4 banger 1le, v6 1le, ZL1 1le, Z/28 instead of a SS 1LE and a regular SS, Bases covered and the Z/28 comes marching back. IMO Z/28 will always have much more meaning and following than 1LE
Or how about we don’t go back to ruining the Z/28 badge and build a proper car or leave it alone.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #107
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What does being a halo model or not have to do with staying n/a?
That was probably brought on by my comment that the 5th gen was seen as the halo model. Now people believe a Z/28 needs to be a halo model, when it does not. But if GM felt the need to make it the halo model, IMO the only engine currently available to do so is the LT-5 which does not fit the Z/28 history
Old 07-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #108
hotlap

Quote:
I agree that the Z/28 name is special. That's why I'd hate to see it retired.

I don't know if its just me but I also think the SS 1LE is a very special car. Amazing both in terms of the value and capabilities offered. It is what the M3 once was.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #109
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Well..if Halo equates to pricing Gen 5Z still stands as the highest MSRP Camaro ever sold, 69 ZL1 with inflation notwithstanding. The RPO's were both roughly double the price of a nicely equipped SS for their respective gens.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #110
DatBrotato

Drives: '18 SS 1LE M6
Quote:
I agree that the Z/28 name is special. That's why I'd hate to see it retired.

I don't know if its just me but I also think the SS 1LE is a very special car. Amazing both in terms of the value and capabilities offered. It is what the M3 once was.
SS 1LE would've been special if the production numbers weren't so high, and if this wasn't the era of "I MUST HAVE ALL THE HORSEPOWERS!!"
Old 07-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #111
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Other name for the LT5 powered camaro could be the “ ZLR “ or maybe even ZL2 ?

I care less about the z28 moniker and more about making a demon killer 755 HP beast .

Original z/28’s were only 302 cubic inches per the rules . 4th and 5th gens obviously have smashed that ceiling .
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #112
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
It isn’t happening.

When making a new variation of a model, GM usually conducts two full years worth of testing on the road and on track before putting it into production. Two summers, two winters, and many months of reliability and durability testing are required to ensure that they’re putting out a production-quality car.

The last generation Camaro ended two years after its mid-cycle refresh. If this generation ends two years after its refresh, the 7th gen Camaro would debut as a 2021 model alongside the S650 Mustang. This scenario would leave no time for a Z/28 to be on the market if real-world testing began right now. However, the Camaro has been a year behind the Mustang since 2014, and GM may want to keep that pace in order to take their time and make the 7th gen Camaro as good as possible. In that case, the Z/28 would have just one year to sell before the 7th generation Camaro debuts as a 2022 model alongside the next-gen Dodge Challenger.

GM is a business that makes business-minded decisions, and making a new car only to sell it for a year is not good for business. If I were in GM’s shoes, I’d either introduce the 7th generation Camaro as a 2021 model (and eliminate the Mustang’s 1-year sales advantage) or introduce it as a 2022 model and use the extra time to prepare the 7th-gen ZL1 for the 2022 model year.

At this point, the Camaro team is likely dead-set on the 7th generation lineup. The time and resources needed to make a Z/28 with an LT5 or 376/535 would be better spent on getting the entire lineup right.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote