Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 07-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #15
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiam View Post
My car is in right now for the shudder again. It got a new converter around 14k miles and it’s getting another one now.
Around what date was that? I'm wondering what the odds of that being one of the old converters.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
ChrisCoffey

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris12 View Post
I have had the triple flush about 6 months ago on my A8. I felt a great improvement for a few months before it started again. In addition to the tq shuddering the tach bounces up and down.. I asked my service manager if they still flush them and she replied that they only replace the unit. So i will update after the install. To be continued....
I had this issue on mine and it seemed to do it when the smart charge kicked in to charge on the volt gauge. There is a tsb for similar issue so they used that and they had to reground a wire that wasnt grounding as well due to the paint on my car. Since then i havent saw it do the tach bounce again.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #17
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCoffey View Post
I had this issue on mine and it seemed to do it when the smart charge kicked in to charge on the volt gauge. There is a tsb for similar issue so they used that and they had to reground a wire that wasnt grounding as well due to the paint on my car. Since then i havent saw it do the tach bounce again.
I believe he was talking about the actual rpm bouncing. I had this issue as well. cruising in 7th or 8th gear, the rpm would fluctuate by around 300 rpm (when the tc slips), enough to even tell on the hud, and everytime would be accompanied by the shudder when the tc locks back down. This would happen several times per second, on mine.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #18
smkymntn
Smoky

Drives: 2018 1SS
Just got my 18 1SS back from dealer today. Put new torque converter in. Praying this is it. A part of me wants to break tcm and set slip valuesnto zero with hp tuners....but.....warranty to 60k.....fml
smkymntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
Picking mine up tomorrow morning. New torque converter, fix the broken top trim piece, and secure the spoiler which was rattling. Good times!
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #20
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Took mine in today for the shudder. Tech said it has the shudder and there is a service bulletin to replace the tensioner for this. He said they had to order the part. After I left I was thinking what would a tensioner have to do with the transmission. Has anyone experienced this TSB and is there a tensioner that plays a role with the transmission? Thanks
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #21
TybeeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzySS View Post
Took mine in today for the shudder. Tech said it has the shudder and there is a service bulletin to replace the tensioner for this. He said they had to order the part. After I left I was thinking what would a tensioner have to do with the transmission. Has anyone experienced this TSB and is there a tensioner that plays a role with the transmission? Thanks
I can’t imagine there is a connection between a tensioner and the shudder that many are experiencing. If you were feeeling the shudder, it would mean that during light acceleration while cruising, your car would fluctuate rpms and feel like you are driving over rumble strips or your transmission was slipping.

By the way, my dealer let me know they replaced “dozens” of torque converters in vehicles with the 8 speed (mostly trucks) and only one triple flush worked long term in any of them.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
Turkish01

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo392 View Post
On vacation, I began to experience the dreaded shuddering of the transmission under light acceleration. It got significantly worse as my vacation continued, to the point I almost didn't want to drive it.

Called the dealer that Thursday, explained the issue, the service manager said he'd order the part and made me an appointment for the following Thursday, stating it should have arrived by then and shouldn't take but a day or two for them to fix it. (the service manager knows me by name, he's a really nice guy, and knows I'm always running!)

I drop the car off on Thursday at 8AM and didn't hear back until Monday. Another service manager calls me and says that the tech just got to the car, and that they JUST opened the TC box, and found that the box was mislabeled with the wrong TC in it! He said he called GM and that there was "only one other in the country, and it's on its way here" and that it would take another 3 days for it to arrive.... And then I would have to wait for the tech to get to it again.

Overall I'm not super upset, just inconvenienced, oh well, woe is me....!

They have not offered me a loaner.

For those who have had this done, what has ya'lls experience been with this? What opinions do you have about this situation?
My converter was replaced at 10k, I’m at 25k now and the problem has not come back, car is a 2016 SS. Took them about 10 days including weekends and they provided me with a loaner. They didn’t even drive it, I told the head tech what was happening and he immediately knew what I was talking about. Ordered a new torque converter no questions asked. It sucks that there is an obvious defect with something in the trans, but they took care of it and with very little inconvenience to me.
Turkish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #23
MartyMar305

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
Honestly i dont think there is nothing wrong with the converters ..if you put your car in manual and use the paddles it doesnt shudder ..the reason for the shudder is the trasmission is shifting to higher gear to save gas ..so when your doing 40mph your in like 6 gear in auto mode with means no power

Last edited by MartyMar305; 07-28-2018 at 04:47 PM.
MartyMar305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #24
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMar305 View Post
Honestly i dont think there is nothing wrong with the converters ..if you put your car in manual and use the paddles it doesnt shudder ..the reason for the shudder is the trasmission is shifting to higher gear to save gas ..so when your doing 40mph your in like 6 gear in auto mode with means no power
So everything is fine for a few thousand miles and then all of a sudden a faint shuddering that gets worse. But it’s not the converters fault. Yea, right.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #25
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Customer satisfaction program ref # n16204447 gwm # 2044470. Release date June 2016. In effect until July 2018. Some one posted a shit load of tsb's and special policy's. Cannot find it now on forums.this document says to replace complete transmission.my bui!ld date is 09/16 even though it is a 2017 ,just started to shudder now @ 5000. Km. Going to my dealer on Monday.Also shudders in reverse on cold start up.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #26
TybeeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
So everything is fine for a few thousand miles and then all of a sudden a faint shuddering that gets worse. But it’s not the converters fault. Yea, right.
Exactly. Or the fact that wHEN a new one is installed it fixes it. And manual mode doesn’t make a difference when you are cruising along at 65 anyway.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #27
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Another point. So I spend $1500 and now have to drive it like a manual shift so it don’t shudder? Now what’s wrong with that picture?
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #28
crosive

Quote:
One, look up torque converter shudder. It's not just these cars. It's not just these torque converters.

Two. 40 mph in 6th is about 1500 rpm. Plenty for torque, and above the lug line. 40 mph in 7th is bottom rung.

There is proof, from more than 1 source, proving that it's not just the car lugging. Please do as much research as some of us before you convince yourself that it's nothing.

Last edited by crosive; 07-29-2018 at 09:10 AM.