Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-23-2022, 12:28 AM   #1
SeanK122

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE Crush M6
First time going to the track what should I know

I’m going to NJMP lightning raceway for my first time, I’ve been drag racing before but have never been on a open circuit, I’ve done some Research to know things such a tire pressures, fluid levels, fuel, and track Etiquette. is there anything specific I should know either of my car (21 1LE M6), the track, what to bring, what to do, etc. I’m not really sure what to expect.

Any tips or advice will be helpful
SeanK122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:15 AM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
1st and foremost: Brake fluid.

Though the 2021 1LE comes with an OEM dot4 fluid, it's not very good. You will need to replace it with a better fluid that has a higher boiling point. If you are only going to do 1 track event this year, then Motul 600 or 660 is OK and less expensive, but you'll need to switch back to a street fluid afterward because the Motul absorbs a lot of moisture and can't be left in long term. Conversely, if you intend to do multiple track events, most of us use Castrol SRF. It's more expensive up front, but you can leave it in for a whole year and it will be fine.

2nd: Have the right expectations for your first track outing as a novice. You're there not to set lap records but instead to learn how to drive the car and take care of your other responsibilities while on track.

You'll have a lot of things to mentally manage (drive the racing line, braking at proper points and using the pedal correctly, keep your vision "up" so you can see far ahead and see flagging stations, situational awareness of other cars both in front of you AND catching up to you from behind, doing proper point by) and trying to do all these things at once can feel a bit overwhelming at first. Before you go, watch youtube videos of track laps of your event so you can learn the proper racing line. That way you'll have one less thing to mentally manage while you are on the track.

3rd: Remember to have fun!
N Camarolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:34 AM   #3
23 ZL1

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1977 Camaro 2017 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanK122 View Post
I’m going to NJMP lightning raceway for my first time, I’ve been drag racing before but have never been on a open circuit, I’ve done some Research to know things such a tire pressures, fluid levels, fuel, and track Etiquette. is there anything specific I should know either of my car (21 1LE M6), the track, what to bring, what to do, etc. I’m not really sure what to expect.

Please report back on your experience at NJMP. If my ZL1 every arrives I plan to track it there also.

4/11/22 - #1100
4/28/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/23/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/07/22 - #4300
6/27/22 - #4300 - ETA 7/13
7/02/22 - #4300 - ETA 7/27
7/06/22 - #4300 - ETA 7/10
7/13/22 - #6000
23 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Yeah in addition to the fluid I would make sure your brake pads have plenty of life left on them. Tire pressures I would aim for 34-36 hot(start at 28-30 depending how you drive).

I'm not familiar with that track but if they don't have a shaded area where you park it would be nice to have some sort of pop up tent and chair. Bring your own drinks/ice and maybe food because that stuff is usually way overpriced at the track.

Print out the schedule beforehand or save it to your phone so you have it with you

You will need to fill out some sort of Tech Sheet before getting there. Not sure what organization you're going with. But the process is usually
1. Fill out tech sheet
2. Go to tech first thing in the morning(make sure all junk is out of your car including carpets), bring your helmet.
3. Morning briefing
4. Meet your coach and do your first session on the track.

Passing in the novice groups will usually be restricted to the straights, you want to get used to looking ahead through the track instead of fixating right ahead of you. I find that if I'm looking for the flag stations through the corners it helps me look ahead.

I would also recommend getting some Track Armour off amazon and putting that in the lower rocker panels up to about 1.5 feet up the side of the car covering the doors as well as the rear quarter panel. This helps prevent damage and you don't have to worry about removing the rubber from the paint after, just just peel the plastic off. You can do the same thing to the front bumper if you don't have any sort of PPF.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:23 AM   #5
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
You have a more than capable car, agree change your fluid to SRF and do a full flush and if you plan to do more track days buy a Motive pressure bleeder the hand pump is fine. Look into buying better track specific pads I am sure the OEM are fine but if you are serious look into getting GLoc pads or similar track only pads. The 1LE comes with Eagle F1 SC3 and those are great for the track. I keep a list for track days, stuff like a jack, jack stand, torque wrench, water, chair, tarp in case it rains, window cleaner, air gauge, air pump, back up brake pads, extra brake fluid, oil, towels etc:. Most of all don't over drive the car and learn the basics, hopefully you get a good instructor that will teach you your car handles best when you brake hard, slow in and fast out. Download the app track addict on your phone and get a good window mount like a ram mount X grip. Ceramic coat your rims you won't regret it and the track amour is a great idea.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:48 AM   #6
andy3213

Drives: 2019 1SS
Are you doing a Tracknight? If so, So. Jersey SCCA runs a great program. In Novice you'll get time with an instructor between every track session.

Lightning is a great track. It's fast and there aren't any tight technical sections so big cars like your Camaro are a lot of fun there. You'll have no trouble keeping the Miatas our of your mirrors. It's also an easy track to memorize. You'll run most of the track in 3rd gear and hit 4th on the front straight and possibly on the turn before the bridge.

Just take your time and ask a lot of questions. No doubt you'll have a great time.
andy3213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:53 AM   #7
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Most importantly... Water, Gatorade, some snacks. You will sweat, so make sure you're taking in water and staying hydrated. Other than that, listen to the instructor and follow their words and all will be fine. Learn and have fun.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #8
BMoneyMan

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:

When are you going and what sanctioning body are you running with?
BMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #9
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
If you don't have an in car instructor for this event, I would highly recommend getting one if you do another event in the future. This prevents you from forming bad habits and helps you to learn the fundamentals faster than driving solo plus a second set of eyes on your mirrors will come in handy when you are overwhelmed with everything going on during the session as a novice. Novice instructed run groups tend to sell out quickly so note the date/time registration opens for your desired event and set an alarm to improve your odds of getting in.

If you are allowed to ride along with someone in the advanced group or an instructor, it will really open your eyes to how amazingly fast you can drive through corners.

The Ultimate Speed Secrets book/ebook by Ross Bentley is a good read. It covers a lot of the topics that you will hear about in classroom sessions at an HPDE event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Look into buying better track specific pads I am sure the OEM are fine but if you are serious look into getting GLoc pads or similar track only pads.
This part is completely unnecessary for the OP since they have the SS 1LE with upgraded brakes from the factory compared to your RS. There are several advanced drivers on these forums who still use stock SS 1LE pads with stock SC3 tires and set fast lap times with them even with years of experience driving their SS 1LE on track.

I agree that the SC3 tires are great for the track.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:47 PM   #10
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
As others have said, if there was just ONE thing that should be done... its swap out the brake fluid. Get a good helmet abd bring snacks and make sure you hydrate. For your first time, just go abd have fun. If your first time is also the driving "school" then it will be pretty tame.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:08 PM   #11
SeanK122

All of this is really good to know, break fluid of all things as I didn’t even think of that. I’ll be heading there tomorrow after every piece of perpetration I could think of. I’ll update everyone on how it went tomorrow night

Thanks for all the tips!!
Old 06-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #12
SeanK122

Update, that was honestly one of the best experiences I’ve had, very challenging but towards the end we got pretty fast, toasted my tires so now need to figure out what tires I’m gonna go with. But ultimate the people you meet the experience you have is incredible and I will defiantly be going as much as I can. The car wanted so much more then I could give it. And I defiantly will get my break fluid flushed out. Very good learning experience.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #13
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Update, that was honestly one of the best experiences I’ve had, very challenging but towards the end we got pretty fast, toasted my tires so now need to figure out what tires I’m gonna go with. But ultimate the people you meet the experience you have is incredible and I will defiantly be going as much as I can. The car wanted so much more then I could give it. And I defiantly will get my break fluid flushed out. Very good learning experience.
Glad you had fun, it's addicting for sure!
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:39 AM   #14
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Glad you had a good time. Hopefully the beginning of many.

What do you mean you toasted your tires? The OEM F1 SC3 is a great tire for the track. Do you daily drive your car and have used up all the tread, or are you trying to say you destroyed the tires simply by driving them on the track for your first time?
N Camarolina is online now   Reply With Quote