Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2022, 11:48 PM   #1
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Tow hooks

So I purchased a Featherlite stealth tow hook and when it arrived I was a bit concerned with its form.

I understand this particular unit fits like a nylon nut of sorts but see pic below.
There is a protrusion on the threads that I'm uncomfortable with. I contacted the vendor about it and was first told they would send me a new shaft. After 3 days of nothing, I followed up and today I get a call from customer service stating since this is a new design he just learned that it's how it's supposed to be and designed to keep it snug to the reciever. However, I do not see how this will not cross thread my shit or possibly strip my threads.

I will mention that they offered great support when I stated my concerns and stated they would cover me should we cross that bridge (cross threaded receiver). This implied to me they weren't confident in the design. That said, I'm possibly overthinking it.

See pics below and let me know your thoughts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mac7504; 04-27-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:33 AM   #2
Readr1

Drives: 2018 ZLE
What is the blob made of? It kind of looks like plastic/silicone? If so I'd run it, there is plenty of thread that will already be threaded into the threaded receiver, so I highly doubt that it will "cross thread". I also doubt that unlesss you really gorilla the hell out of it that it will strip the threads in the receiver, that thing is designed to have a static rating of at least 5000Lbs.
Readr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:42 AM   #3
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readr1 View Post
What is the blob made of? It kind of looks like plastic/silicone? If so I'd run it, there is plenty of thread that will already be threaded into the threaded receiver, so I highly doubt that it will "cross thread". I also doubt that unlesss you really gorilla the hell out of it that it will strip the threads in the receiver, that thing is designed to have a static rating of at least 5000Lbs.
I have no idea what it's made of. When I asked what material was over the threads, the rep wasn't really forthcoming and sounded like he really didn't know. It feels like polymer a hard polymer def not silicone. The shaft is steel but they mention it threads like a nylon nut.
If you read the description on this particular unit, it states it will be harder to thread on, which is why I would be more inclined to "gorilla" it on.

Just wanted to see if anyone here has install this particular unit.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:12 AM   #4
Readr1

Drives: 2018 ZLE
If it is a polymer it should deform and act just like locktite. Give it a try, if it takes more than 80-100 ft-lbs to thread it into the reciever, send it back.
Readr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:16 AM   #5
Mac7504

The thing is, I can't really measure that as it has no real point for a socket to attach to my torque wrench. The dude told me to stick a screw driver into the shaft and turn it. Then I replied to him, as soon as I try this and I'm not comfortable with it, you will consider it as used...he stood quite.

I guess I will try it and report back. Shit doesn't seem right to me at all.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
The thing is, I can't really measure that as it has no real point for a socket to attach to my torque wrench. The dude told me to stick a screw driver into the shaft and turn it. Then I replied to him, as soon as I try this and I'm not comfortable with it, you will consider it as used...he stood quite.

I guess I will try it and report back. Shit doesn't seem right to me at all.
That protrusion would definitely create interference at the OD and ID pitch diameters.

If you’re concerned about damaging the female threads of your car, take a minute or two and make a conclusion about the composition of the protrusion.

Here’s my suggestion. First, grab a scriber or pick poke at the center of the protrusion. If the material is some kind of plastic, you should be able to feel penetration. If that’s the case, the manufacturer did create a designed interference the same as a nylon lock nut.

Second, if you’re still not comfortable with the results from above, go to your local hardware store and purchase the nut with the same sides threads and join it with the threads on the hook. If the thread is defective, the result would be a torn up nut that means nothing if it gets destroyed.

Third, I’d make sure to create a video of the nut being threaded onto the hook and also removed from the hook. This way, if the vendor bulks at your results of a possibly damaged nut, send them the video showing proof.

Finally, I’d hold the eyelet (wrapped in rags) of the hook in a vice so it doesn’t get damaged. This way you can install it to your car and it will still look good.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #7
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Nothing that a file (metal) or knife (plastic) can't fix. Find a nut with same size threads and thread it on and see what happens.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:46 AM   #8
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=11162753

If this is where your hook came from, highly recommend you just return it. I'm sure you're like me and wouldn't be fond of having an expensive tow hook look faded and crappy looking after 6 months and them telling you this is "normal"
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #9
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=11162753

If this is where your hook came from, highly recommend you just return it. I'm sure you're like me and wouldn't be fond of having an expensive tow hook look faded and crappy looking after 6 months and them telling you this is "normal"
Yes it is. It fading while not acceptable for anything is that price range, it's not really of a concern to me so much as function.

In the event it does fade, I'd just repowder coat it.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #10
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
That protrusion would definitely create interference at the OD and ID pitch diameters.

If you’re concerned about damaging the female threads of your car, take a minute or two and make a conclusion about the composition of the protrusion.

Here’s my suggestion. First, grab a scriber or pick poke at the center of the protrusion. If the material is some kind of plastic, you should be able to feel penetration. If that’s the case, the manufacturer did create a designed interference the same as a nylon lock nut.

Second, if you’re still not comfortable with the results from above, go to your local hardware store and purchase the nut with the same sides threads and join it with the threads on the hook. If the thread is defective, the result would be a torn up nut that means nothing if it gets destroyed.

Third, I’d make sure to create a video of the nut being threaded onto the hook and also removed from the hook. This way, if the vendor bulks at your results of a possibly damaged nut, send them the video showing proof.

Finally, I’d hold the eyelet (wrapped in rags) of the hook in a vice so it doesn’t get damaged. This way you can install it to your car and it will still look good.
Thanks for the suggestion and I will do just that. After the rep suggested I install it and see how it goes, I did express my concern that the unit would then be considered as used and not returnable.

However the rep did seem to offer good support so well see how this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Nothing that a file (metal) or knife (plastic) can't fix. Find a nut with same size threads and thread it on and see what happens.
Yep thanks. I will do.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:47 PM   #11
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Yes it is. It fading while not acceptable for anything is that price range, it's not really of a concern to me so much as function.

In the event it does fade, I'd just repowder coat it.
I understand, refinishing isn't expensive but is a PITA to need to do after 6 months (for me anyways). Just makes you question quality of their parts, especially materials. To me, if they cheap out on something inexpensive as powder, I wouldn't be shocked to find out their metals are sub-par.

I'll personally never make a purchase from them again after this and them not backing up their product in the least.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 04-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #12
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I understand, refinishing isn't expensive but is a PITA to need to do after 6 months (for me anyways). Just makes you question quality of their parts, especially materials. To me, if they cheap out on something inexpensive as powder, I wouldn't be shocked to find out their metals are sub-par.

I'll personally never make a purchase from them again after this and them not backing up their product in the least.

This is seems to be a common theme now that I've read your post. Lots of folks are unhappy with their products. I just purchased like 300+ dollars worth of shit from them too. Lift pads and mag pucks. Seesh
Old 04-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #13
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
This is seems to be a common theme now that I've read your post. Lots of folks are unhappy with their products. I just purchased like 300+ dollars worth of shit from them too. Lift pads and mag pucks. Seesh
I've come to the same conclusion after I posted my thread. I wasn't sure if I wanted to start a thread, but glad I did. Kind of odd to me that they don't even bother to post anything, not that they have any valid excuses anyways, lol.