#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #15
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post
Might hold off on a set of $300 pads as if I really enjoy it and am going to do more I am going to upgrade to the larger rotors and 6 piston calipers before the next event.
Visually check your brake pad thickness on each corner after each session. You might use a lot of it throughout the day but can probably get away with stock pads for your first time on track. If you have aftermarket ceramic pads then they will probably melt down to nothing within a session or two...not recommended.

Yes I would recommend the ZL1 brakes for your car if you plan to do a lot of track days in the future to better align with the horsepower you have vs. the horsepower the stock SS brakes were designed for.

You would need a set of both front and rear pads if you upgraded otherwise the stock brake pads that you left on one axle would badly overheat and wear away to nothing very quickly.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #16
cdrptrks

Also if you are still running 5W-30 oil, you should switch to 0W-40 dexos2 before the track day.

https://camarosofmichigan.com/2018/2..._guide-min.pdf
Old 05-18-2022, 01:41 PM   #17
cdrptrks

2021 owner's manual lists a few steps to take before a track day related to front brake pad cooling. The small metal splash shield install is a pain because of the threadlocker on the caliper bolts but the other two are easy and you should definitely do them, but preferably do the metal splash shield swap too. These parts should have come in a bag in the trunk when the car was new or you can order the kit inexpensively.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #18
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Also if you haven't already look at the fast list for track times. and watch the video of the fastest time about 46371546874 before your track day. Will help you memorize the track and the driving line.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #19
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Also if you haven't already look at the fast list for track times. and watch the video of the fastest time about 46371546874 before your track day. Will help you memorize the track and the driving line.
Agreed that watching track videos beforehand helps a lot but maybe ignore the speed overlay and lap time. Keep in mind the fastest times are probably on 40 or 100 treadwear tires so the minimum speeds through the corners will be higher and braking can start later compared to the Camaro's stock higher treadwear tires and the cars may have other track focused modifications too. And those cars probably have a track alignment with more camber than OP so they will be able to corner faster because of that too. And they may be running with traction/stability control off or with it reduced in Competitive mode or in a PTM mode (only available on the SS 1LE and ZL1s) which should give them an acceleration advantage on corner exits if driven properly compared to just being in Track mode.

I would not recommend running a lap timer for a novice's first time out...expect to run slower lap times than those who are very experienced on the best track times thread even if their car is less powerful than yours. Instead focus on being safe and having fun and gradually exploring the limits of the car's cornering and braking abilities after you learn the correct line for the track rather than trying to copy what an expert can do with the car.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #20
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I used a regular old dot 4 my first day, and boiled the fluid. Almost missed a turn, and it taught me a lesson ... Don't skimp on the brakes!!! Use race quality fluid and put the track cooling deflectors on.

I was a total novice, over used the brakes and it almost lost the car. I changed the fluid, put the deflectors on, installed titanium shims and haven't had a problem since. Running DTC 70s now.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:19 PM   #21
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Never done it before not sure how the car will handle it.

Any tips to help a first timer out with a car that might not be really setup engine wise for this type of racing?

Thanks
As a first timer, your learning curve will be fairly steep. You'll have to divide your attention between handling the car, driving the correct line through the corners, and keeping your vision up (far ahead so you can see the other drivers AND the flag towers), and looking in your mirrors (traffic catching up to you from behind).

For that part of your attention that is focusing on driving/managing the car, it's all about the corners, not the straight aways. Focus on making your inputs (steering wheel, gas, brake) smoothly, rolling onto and off of each control, not being jerky.

And since you apparently have 75 extra HP, you'll be potentially stressing your brake system more if you are heavy on the gas pedal. I'd definitely suggest (like the forum members have) either Motul 600 if this is going to be a one and done event (you'll need to change it out within a few months tops with regular fluid since Motul absorbs a lot of moisture) or Castrol SRF if you will be doing additional events this year (that fluid can be changed once a year). I don't think you'll need racing pads, and to make sure, you could choose to use less than 100% throttle on the long straight (again, while straight line speed is initially fun, you'll find that the real fun comes from how you handle the curves).

Stay within your (and the car's) limits and you'll lots of fun!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:17 PM   #22
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Thanks for all the advice.

Deflector kit is ready to go on. Castrol brake fluid is on order. Going to pickup new pads tomorrow, unless I can talk the guys at ZZP to maybe cut a guy a deal on their big brake setup.

What is the best/easiest way to swap the brake fluid? Short of just bleeding all 4 corners.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:53 PM   #23
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.

What is the best/easiest way to swap the brake fluid? Short of just bleeding all 4 corners.
that is the only way. I do it with a power bleeder, made a short video on it.

Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:45 PM   #24
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Grattan is a great track. It’s probably my favorite of the two in Michigan. Your first track day is all about learning how to drive on a track. Have zero expectations about any lap time targets. Learn the track and the race line. Learn when to brake and when not to brake. It would be best for you ride along in an instructor’s car so you can experience how they approach the track. It takes a while to learn how to drive on a track. I would definitely upgrade your brake fluid, as was mentioned. That’s probably the single most important thing you can do in preparation. Enjoy yourself and keep it on the track.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:10 PM   #25
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Who are you signed up with and when? I track at Gingerman with Cgi and they are a real friendly crowd, I doubt they have any novice with instructor in car available but they can put you on a wait list if someone cancels. I would suggest an instructor for several track days until you understand all the lingo and how to get in and around corners. I agree SRF brake fluid, 0w40, add extra 1/2 quart for track, add brake cooling vents if you have them, heard Brembo stock pads are good just have 50%+ left, and leave the nannies on for now. Have fun
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:07 PM   #26
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
0w40, add extra 1/2 quart for track
The extra half quart of oil applies to the RS you have but not to the SS that the OP has according to the manual.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:31 AM   #27
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Just talked to a guy who went there, said he’d never go back!! And that’s saying something since he’s been on the old Nelson’s Ledges track before the repave. Hope he’s wrong and it’s an ok experience.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #28
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Who are you signed up with and when? I track at Gingerman with Cgi and they are a real friendly crowd, I doubt they have any novice with instructor in car available but they can put you on a wait list if someone cancels. I would suggest an instructor for several track days until you understand all the lingo and how to get in and around corners. I agree SRF brake fluid, 0w40, add extra 1/2 quart for track, add brake cooling vents if you have them, heard Brembo stock pads are good just have 50%+ left, and leave the nannies on for now. Have fun

3Balls is the promoter. Going next weekend.

Now just hoping for good weather.
American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote