Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #99
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaro View Post
I never owned a Z/28, I just took one on a slightly extended test drive. The ZL1 1LE feels different. I'll preface this by saying that I drove 8 hours home with my ZL1 1LE so it wasn't the best introduction. On the way I came to really despise when the highway was concrete vs blacktop. I also loathed the seam between highway and bridges.

But I didn't buy it for 8 hour road trips. I bought it for the track and that can't come soon enough. There, in it's proper element, this car is going to be amazing. It's weaponized. Grip and power for days.

DM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
So...for those interested...I just took a 100 mi. jaunt around some rural roads last night to put some miles on it.

And for the most part - my opinion on the ride quality hasn't changed - it's stiff as a Z/28, or stiffer even. I rolled across a 1 mi. section of some kind of patchy, rough stuff...and got beat up a little bit inside...I'm leaning more towards the "stiffer than a Z/28" side of the coin, now.

Not that it's a bad thing!! LOVE IT!
Quote:
Ehhh....don't count on it, too much. The 19's already offer a bit more sidewall (albeit stiff sidewall) than the standard ZL1s and SS 1LEs....the stiffness is all in the suspension and spring rates.

That said...I've been thinking about street tires for a while leading up to this...simply because of the rain and wear.....I have settled on the opinion of, if you're going to buy this car, and then put street tires on it...shame on you.

If it's a serious consideration? Buy a regular ZL1. Enjoy a thoroughly comfortable ride when you want it, and hit sport mode when you want to go race.
First of all, two great cars and it's great to start seeing your first (and second and third) impressions. For me, the ZL1 was the right decision. As I stated in another thread, I'm curious how the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE would compare if they were both on the exact same rubber. As you ride along, ponder that and give me your thoughts. I've been doing more track time and wondering if switching out the wheels/tires would be a better first step or brakes. I'm leaning toward the latter as I'm not yet pushing the envelope of the ZL1 tires. I might be getting close on the brakes with a few more track days.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #100
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwille View Post
Thanks Jordan! High praise coming from a hotshoe like you!

I hope to do the car justice. I'll use it at Optima events, and One Lap and the Texas Mile. Probably take it to the grocery store too. Lol.

Good luck at PPIR this weekend!

P.S.- Chevy, please ship our cars!
Doug,

This John L, not Jordan, but your right he is a hotshoe!
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #101
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
Doug,

This John L, not Jordan, but your right he is a hotshoe!
Lol! Sorry! Thats what I get for trying to read things on my phone. I fixed it and thank you for the compliment!
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 PM   #102
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
First of all, two great cars and it's great to start seeing your first (and second and third) impressions. For me, the ZL1 was the right decision. As I stated in another thread, I'm curious how the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE would compare if they were both on the exact same rubber. As you ride along, ponder that and give me your thoughts. I've been doing more track time and wondering if switching out the wheels/tires would be a better first step or brakes. I'm leaning toward the latter as I'm not yet pushing the envelope of the ZL1 tires. I might be getting close on the brakes with a few more track days.
For whatever it's worth - figure that the engineers who built this monster didn't touch a thing about the ZL1's brakes except to paint them red.....
Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #103
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
For whatever it's worth - figure that the engineers who built this monster didn't touch a thing about the ZL1's brakes except to paint them red.....
Well that's good to know. One less variable. So wonder about the tires...
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #104
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
Well that's good to know. One less variable. So wonder about the tires...
They grip for DAYS...
Old 07-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #105
Cam-Aero

Drives: Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
They grip for DAYS...

Sorry if you've been asked / posted before, but any experience with the tires in the wet.
Cam-Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #106
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam-Aero View Post
Sorry if you've been asked / posted before, but any experience with the tires in the wet.
This car does NOT like roads with water standing on them. They appear to hydroplane VERY easily.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #107
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam-Aero View Post
Got caught in a bad t-storm in Kansas City MO. Had to pull over. It was a must. Felt like a speedboat on water.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #108
utsteve98

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 2017 Ford Raptor
According to Onstar, it's finally on the move from the plant. Looks like its going via truck to Texas since it is on the interstate in Missouri right now.
utsteve98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #109
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsteve98 View Post
According to Onstar, it's finally on the move from the plant. Looks like its going via truck to Texas since it is on the interstate in Missouri right now.
Oh wow. Maybe mine is on the way to Texas as well. I haven't activated onstar. I'll have to check Monday!

On Edit: Mine is in Texas! WOOT!

Last edited by Dwille; 07-17-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #110
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
Anyone getting one around the Sebring area? I want to see one at a track day making all of the BMW guys realize that they, in fact, do not own the ultimate driving machine.
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #111
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam View Post
Anyone getting one around the Sebring area? I want to see one at a track day making all of the BMW guys realize that they, in fact, do not own the ultimate driving machine.
You rang?

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #112
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam View Post
...making all of the BMW guys realize that they, in fact, do not own the ultimate driving machine.
Haha!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote