Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #29
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
So without going the E-85 route, how well would a set of heads help in bumping up the HP a bit?
Honestly not much, considering the cost involved.

The supercharger becomes the dictator.

And Octane is the Limiter.

An E-85 conversion would blow the doors off the hinges on your goal.

More reliable more consistent, more power all the time.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #30
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Honestly not much, considering the cost involved.

The supercharger becomes the dictator.

And Octane is the Limiter.

An E-85 conversion would blow the doors off the hinges on your goal.

More reliable more consistent, more power all the time.

Ted.
Okay, you have me interested. What would be everything I would need to look into to do a correct E-85 conversion?
With it not being easily accessible where I live (there's one lyrics 1 gas station in my area that offers it), would it be possible to have 2 different tunes for my vehicle? 1 for daily driving, and a second for race days and track use for the E-85?

What kind of cost does an E-85 conversion yield so I can start planning ahead incase I take this route?
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #31
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Okay, you have me interested. What would be everything I would need to look into to do a correct E-85 conversion?
With it not being easily accessible where I live (there's one lyrics 1 gas station in my area that offers it), would it be possible to have 2 different tunes for my vehicle? 1 for daily driving, and a second for race days and track use for the E-85?

What kind of cost does an E-85 conversion yield so I can start planning ahead incase I take this route?
Get a DSX Flex fuel sensor which allows you to run either fuel at any given time and adjusts your tune accordingly. You would also need to add a better fuel system like Fore or Squash. Your ID850s should be good enough for the power you are trying to make but Ill defer to the pros for that.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Last edited by wrtowman; 08-11-2016 at 03:17 PM.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #32
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
If you do a real flex fuel conversion then you don't need two different tunes. You would add an ethanol sensor as part of your fuel system upgrade. Your re-tuned ECU would see whatever blend of ethanol % you currently have and blend your tune that much between your gasoline and your alcohol maps. Your injectors will likely be fine but a dual pump system with flex fuel sensor, wiring harness, regulator, -8 feed line, etc is $1800. Then whatever you pay for a dyno tune. The upfront cost is kinda high but nothing else will give you those kinds of gains on pump gas.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #33
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:

Give me a call I will be happy to put a quote together for you, I carry everything you need including the Flex fuel sensors.

Ted.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #34
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Hi,

You are running almost the same setup as me, i put down 580/590 on a mustang dyno. I am only able to run 8 degrees of timing. Your issue is the same as mine it is octane.

I did buy a meth injection kit, but its been sitting in the box for a year.

I would rather go to E85, but i am concerned of the following:

1. How long would the ID850's hold up to E85
2. I have the LPE dual pump system in my vehicle. I know its basically the system out of the CTS-V. From my quick research, its not a good idea to run that pump with E85. Not built to run that and would worry about corrosion issues.

If everyone thinks there would be no problems with the ID850's and the LPE pump then i have no issues picking up the DSX flex fuel kit and getting my car retuned to run E85 as well.

Thanks,
Old 08-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #35
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Hi,

You are running almost the same setup as me, i put down 580/590 on a mustang dyno. I am only able to run 8 degrees of timing. Your issue is the same as mine it is octane.

2. I have the LPE dual pump system in my vehicle. I know its basically the system out of the CTS-V. From my quick research, its not a good idea to run that pump with E85. Not built to run that and would worry about corrosion issues.

If everyone thinks there would be no problems with the ID850's and the LPE pump then i have no issues picking up the DSX flex fuel kit and getting my car retuned to run E85 as well.

Thanks,
The injectors will be fine, I don't know about your fuel pump, personally, I don't think it's going to be enough.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #36
oachalon

Supposedly the LPE kit flows more than the ZL1 and FPCM setup. How much more i dont know. I know with E85 you need roughly 30% more.

I have plenty of fuel now, just dont know what would happen with E85.

I believe the fuel pump has two 190 LPH pumps while the ZL1 is just a 250lph pump.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #37
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
The ZL1 pump flow almost as much as the CTS-V's. ~10% less is all. Way more than 250lph. Stock SS pump is ~250lph
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #38
oachalon

Thats what i pulled of GM's website:

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chev..._fuelpump.html

The ZL1 fuel pump module incorporates a twin-pump design to meet the high-rpm fuel requirements of a supercharged engine. It delivers approximately 250 liters per hour at 65 psi (450 kPa) and will support engines producing up to about 600 horsepower – although its performance range with custom and modified engines is determined by factors including the air/fuel ratio, compression ratio and others.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #39
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
We have run the LPE twin pump with a wire upgrade to 750 RWHP on an Auto car and 800 RWHP on a Manual car on race gasoline and ID-850s.

Even conservative estimate of 25% less power (Fuel requirement) on E-85 would put you right where you are now.

The LPE twin pumps are not rated for E-85 either.

Does not mean you can't do it for a while on say E-70 and get a touch over 600 RWHP.

We have been using quite a few Fore Innovations L-1 systems for our conversions and have been very pleased with the results.

Combined with our flex fuel sensor, tuning, more boost, 100 more RWHP is pretty easy and safe.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 08-12-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #40
oachalon

20HP adder is not worth seeing how long my pump lasts while running E85 or trying to mix E70. Also the last thing i am doing is dropping the tank again and changing out my system. Too much time and money spent on that.

Sounds like my best option is to just install my Alky control methanol setup.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #41
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
.......We have run the LPE twin pump with a wire upgrade.................
Ted.

Would you be able to elaborate on what a "wire upgrade" is?
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #42
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Would you be able to elaborate on what a "wire upgrade" is?
We offer a kit and instructions to upgrade the wiring to and from the FPCM and pumps.

Ted.