Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #15
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Spoke with Corey from CarPro and he basically said to Polish the paint before applying the Reload. Either with Essence, Reflect, 205, etc. and then wipe with Eraser, avoid using IPA as it's not as good as lifting the oils and tends to just push it around.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Mine worked used eraser also. Beads nice on the side the water runs off. Notice the picture you can see the telephone lines
Attached Images

NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #17
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
My Genesis DD a month after Reload application...
Attached Images

Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Things to try:

Polish beforehand
Use Eraser

Once the truck is back in my possession I'll re-test it.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #19
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I think you (and many of us) may have discovered that reload isn't that good if you don't use the essence. It rained this morning, and when I was out running errands I shot this pic. This is my new HR-V that received essence polish with an orbital, and one coat of reload on March 4. Since then it's only had about 4 or 5 rinseless washes , as I've been sick and haven't been driving it .....but it still beads up pretty well:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #20
panther1le

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Things to try:

Polish beforehand
Use Eraser

Once the truck is back in my possession I'll re-test it.
This sounds like the same issue I'm having, where you able to get it to work again?
panther1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #21
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
Quote:
Spoke with Corey from CarPro and he basically said to Polish the paint before applying the Reload. Either with Essence, Reflect, 205, etc. and then wipe with Eraser, avoid using IPA as it's not as good as lifting the oils and tends to just push it around.
If I am understanding this correctly,

Polish with _____ product. Then wipe down with eraser. Last step would be to apply reload?

I have had the same issue where reload works for 1-2 weeks then stops. I’ve personally followed Glenn’s step by step and had poor results on the hydrophobic quality’s of reload.
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #22
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
I asked this same question in the spring, as I also followed every guidline there was, yes at first I was over thinking it as Glen puts it. so come to find out that I stripped my garage kept car, started fresh polished with essence, and then applied the carpro. beaded up a while but I'd say after the 3rd car wash went away. I can say the shine is brilliant but does not last long at all. Keep in mind, mine is not a daily driver and hardly ever sees rain. I'm speaking about the mist/beading when/before I wash my car.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #23
Glen e

If you're having that much problem, life is too short to keep working with this situation. Take the rest of the reload you've got and mix it in the "magic elixir" formulation talked about here and use it as a drying agent or a QD, Then get the blackfire si02 spray. Goes on easier and lasts longer, in my opinion. HOWEVER, many guys over at auto geek will tell you that a lot of coatings and sprays that are SIO2 based, may lose their ability quickly to bead, but still the gloss and the durability is there.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Well since ya'll have bumped the thread, I guess I'll update. When I got the truck back I topped it with Gyeon CanCoat...Blown away by the insane beading, gloss and self cleaning. Has been going strong for 3 months with no sign of stopping. Better than the sprays but not as durable as a full coating, though many see 7+ months despite only 6 being claimed. I top it once every month or so with WetCoat after a good washing and I'm sold. Come spring, I'm selling/trashing every wax and sealant I have...
Old 10-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #25
Glen e

Quote:
Well since ya'll have bumped the thread, I guess I'll update. When I got the truck back I topped it with Gyeon CanCoat...Blown away by the insane beading, gloss and self cleaning. Has been going strong for 3 months with no sign of stopping. Better than the sprays but not as durable as a full coating, though many see 7+ months despite only 6 being claimed. I top it once every month or so with WetCoat after a good washing and I'm sold. Come spring, I'm selling/trashing every wax and sealant I have...
But see , here's the problem, like so many of these products, it just doesn't work all the time for everyone. Here's a cancoat problem thread:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-problems.html
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #26
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I also think that people tend to skip the "maintenance" part of coatings and silica sealants...meaning doing something like rinseless washes with silica in them and even using a QD at least once in a while as a drying agent and/or wiping down the car when clean to give it gloss and more durability. Not much effort is needed nor time, but I find when I do these things, the beading and durability hold up better and last longer. There really is no magic product to just put on once and be done with it basically for a very long time or even for the life of the vehicle, that product unfortunately does not exist.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #27
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
But see , here's the problem, like so many of these products, it just doesn't work all the time for everyone. Here's a cancoat problem thread:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-problems.html
Oh I agree, believe me something always goes wrong for somebody...

But I'll take difficult to remove and overspray (Both user error) problems over failing in 1-3 weeks when 4-6+ months is claimed for other products that may be easier to spray. But Reload and most SI02 sprays are not without application issues. In fact, most of them are famously difficult to work with and finicky. Yes the CanCoat requires more attention to apply than Detail Spray, but it definitely isn't difficult.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #28
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I also think that people tend to skip the "maintenance" part of coatings and silica sealants...meaning doing something like rinseless washes with silica in them and even using a QD at least once in a while as a drying agent and/or wiping down the car when clean to give it gloss and more durability. Not much effort is needed nor time, but I find when I do these things, the beading and durability hold up better and last longer. There really is no magic product to just put on once and be done with it basically for a very long time or even for the life of the vehicle, that product unfortunately does not exist.
That's a non issue here. I regularly wash, rejuvenate with a top sacrificial layer and use products that like to meld with each other.

As for the perfect product/money no issue, I know the general opinion amongst detailers and detailing forums is that nothing lasts forever; however, a few super high end detailers, specifically Protective Film Solutions in California claim that with some of their coating options which are usually 10+ layers and done with industrial grade product can last a life time and actually add so many microns to the finish that it becomes nearly as thick as the clear and very resistant to scratching and even light chipping. Don't take my word for it though. This was on a Bugatti Chiron where applying PPF would be impossible (tail end/engine area). I'm sure this was a $10,000 detailing bill.