Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #43
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
If they can put a Miata in there, they should have put the GT-86 (FRS/BRZ) in there. I know I've never driven a better "driver's car".
Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #44
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
If they can put a Miata in there, they should have put the GT-86 (FRS/BRZ) in there. I know I've never driven a better "driver's car".
not sure if you've seen this one, pretty good video.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #45
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
not sure if you've seen this one, pretty good video.

That Miata body roll! (My SS doesn't roll that much)

Yeah, I've seen a lot of the comparisons and they all seem to end the same. The Miata is lighter and geared better for quickness, but the GT-86 has better handling. Put a couple grand into the GT-86 (equal cost as the Miata) and you'll have a equally fast but better handling car.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #46
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
I have a friend that's a huge Mazda fan (he's owned at least 8...from 323's to Millenia's). He had a 1st gen and a 2nd gen Miata. I can honestly say those were some of the best "Driver's car" I have had personal experience with. If the new one is back to like how the 1st gen was, then it is something! But even better than his Miatas is his 1993 FD RX-7! He's selling it too. Really making me think about picking it up from him...
Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #47
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
I have a friend that's a huge Mazda fan (he's owned at least 8...from 323's to Millenia's). He had a 1st gen and a 2nd gen Miata. I can honestly say those were some of the best "Driver's car" I have had personal experience with. If the new one is back to like how the 1st gen was, then it is something! But even better than his Miatas is his 1993 FD RX-7! He's selling it too. Really making me think about picking it up from him...
Don't get me wrong... I do respect the Miata and all its accomplishments. But I don't think the GT-86 gets the respect it deserves. Every time I drive my wife's FRS, I'm amazed at how precise the handling is, how I can accelerate through the corners, and how big the smile is on my face. It's worth taking for a test drive, if you get the opportunity.

Someday I'll check out a Miata and do my own comparison, but in my personal opinion the GT-86 is definitely worthy of being on a "best driver's car" list.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #48
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Miata surprised me
they've had it up high on their test before.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #49
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
I wonder if Ford will get the GT350R and the FocusRS invited to next years event.

No idea when the GT is set for realease.

That Mercedes looked like a blast.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #50
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
What an accomplishment for Mercedes (the car itself, not winning this comparo). An all around phenomenal car. Extremely luxurious, very fast, beautiful and unique styling, superb dynamics, and a very reasonable price. Bravo. The black series model will be very exciting to see. I also love the matte colors they offer

trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #51
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Its not new or significantly updated this year, therefore doesn't qualify for being invited. Same goes for just about every mega-comparison that any magazine does. If they didn't restrict the field like that, it would take them a month go through every car. And the bulk of the results would be the same, year after year.

When the BRZ was new they did invite it & Subaru accepted. It placed 4th (ahead of the ZL1 & 662 hp GT500). The 911 Carrera S won that year.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #52
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I will rest well with the fact that the car doing the massive, donut around the rest of the cars on the cover is the red replacement Z06. The yellow Z06 is not even in the photo.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #53
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I will rest well with the fact that the car doing the massive, donut around the rest of the cars on the cover is the red replacement Z06. The yellow Z06 is not even in the photo.
It won the drag race at least lol. Damn shame, it would have annihilated all those cars on the track if it was working
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #54
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And the fact that it "won" the drag race by a considerable spread is helpful. The problem I see is that this set's GM back about 10 years in market perception of reliability, not only in the Corvette but GM as a whole. Which is unfortunate because those of us that have owned GM's over the years know that this is anything but true.

I really hope they get another crack at it and soon. Heck, if I were in charge of marketing at GM, I would pay for the track to have Randy drive a working Z06, maybe even for a Head to Head with the winning car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #55
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
And the fact that it "won" the drag race by a considerable spread is helpful. The problem I see is that this set's GM back about 10 years in market perception of reliability, not only in the Corvette but GM as a whole. Which is unfortunate because those of us that have owned GM's over the years know that this is anything but true.

I really hope they get another crack at it and soon. Heck, if I were in charge of marketing at GM, I would pay for the track to have Randy drive a working Z06, maybe even for a Head to Head with the winning car.

Over the last couple of years GM has gone a long way within the enthusiast community. The Cadillac CTS-V and ATS-V, the Z28, and the Z06 have all gotten pretty rave reviews and were / are being compared to European rivals that cost significantly more.

Journalists that sang the praises of Porsches and Miatas were speaking highly of GM's offerings.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, GM Cars were thought of as cheap, unrefined, technologically inferior, etc. We've all heard this stuff before, but over the last few years, even the most hardcore GM detractors were saying very nice things. The guys on Top Gear loved the new 'vette for example. Their review emphasized that prior to this generation, whenever they'd review the 'vette they'd go over its performance characteristics and then get to the "but," or the "at least," portion of the review. This latest generation completely did away with that. They were thoroughly impressed.

That's just one example. There were quite a lot more.

While this one test doesn't undo all of that, it's still a black eye. There were sales lost because of it. Really hoping there's not a repetition.
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #56
Denis

I don't think I would consider 2 tenths a "considerable spread". That Bently is shockingly fast for its weight and the Merc is only a fender back from that.

11.4 is a nice run though!