Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #29
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Right. Just realize that dropping a gear won't create rpm if you're not moving. It needs momentum and probably won't be a very satisfying street car
But it isn't meant to be a street brawler. The LS7 is impressive, but the Voodoo makes 90% of peak torque over 1000 more RPMs. Yes, I know that it makes absolutely less torque than the LS7, but ~340 RWTQ from 3,400 to 7,600 RPMs is pretty impressive. The GT350R is going to be an awesome track car with the right gearing.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #30
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
But it isn't meant to be a street brawler. The LS7 is impressive, but the Voodoo makes 90% of peak torque over 1000 more RPMs. Yes, I know that it makes absolutely less torque than the LS7, but ~340 RWTQ from 3,400 to 7,600 RPMs is pretty impressive. The GT350R is going to be an awesome track car with the right gearing.
I understand. I was only commenting that the two engines useful power band is in different rpm ranges. The LS7 can't rev to 8200 rpm but its useful power is lower in the range where the Voodoo will struggle. The LS7's torque advantage is evident.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #31
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
I understand. I was only commenting that the two engines useful power band is in different rpm ranges. The LS7 can't rev to 8200 rpm but its useful power is lower in the range where the Voodoo will struggle. The LS7's torque advantage is evident.
No doubt about that. I hope whatever is the 6th Gen track star will be even better than the LS7. BTW, that's has been my favorite Chevy engine since the old big blocks...I came very close to buying a Z/28 just because of the LS7.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #32
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
No doubt about that. I hope whatever is the 6th Gen track star will be even better than the LS7. BTW, that's has been my favorite Chevy engine since the old big blocks...I came very close to buying a Z/28 just because of the LS7.
Me too. I wanted a C6 Z06 soo bad when they first came out but couldn't swing it. Last week I negotiated a pretty good deal on a 15 Z/28 with my ZL1 in trade. Didn't do it because the cash I'd need on top of my trade would be enough to do a LPE700 on the ZL1 making it 3 dimensional (drag/track/street).

BTW, I'm not knocking the Voodoo. Just want people to realize what you gain on top you lose on the bottom. It is a track engine which makes me scratch my head regarding a GT350 without the TP or R

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #33
EE7

Drives: New
I can't wait to see official track times for the gt350. I hope it is as great as they say it is. There are a lot of people in the other camp now concerned that it won't live up to all of the hype. There are some that will buy it no matter what and then there are others that are put off by Ford waiting to officially release any numbers and are canceling their orders. They are even beginning to wonder if this car will match the performance of the Z. I hope it does as I am all for both camps pushing the other to engineer better vehicles.
EE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #34
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
I will not be surprised if the Gen 5 Z/28 is faster than the GT350 or GT350R. Z/28 has better brakes and wider tires, not sure how the weights compare though.
The Z/28 does not have wider tires than the GT350R. The Z has 305s on all four corners. The R has 305s up front and 315s on the back.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #35
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Me too. I wanted a C6 Z06 soo bad when they first came out but couldn't swing it. Last week I negotiated a pretty good deal on a 15 Z/28 with my ZL1 in trade. Didn't do it because the cash I'd need on top of my trade would be enough to do a LPE700 on the ZL1 making it 3 dimensional (drag/track/street).

BTW, I'm not knocking the Voodoo. Just want people to realize what you gain on top you lose on the bottom. It is a track engine which makes me scratch my head regarding a GT350 without the TP or R
That engine tho! thats why people want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE7 View Post
I can't wait to see official track times for the gt350. I hope it is as great as they say it is. There are a lot of people in the other camp now concerned that it won't live up to all of the hype. There are some that will buy it no matter what and then there are others that are put off by Ford waiting to officially release any numbers and are canceling their orders. They are even beginning to wonder if this car will match the performance of the Z. I hope it does as I am all for both camps pushing the other to engineer better vehicles.
Those people shouldn't be shocked, Ford typically does not release performance numbers
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #36
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Z/28 does not have wider tires than the GT350R. The Z has 305s on all four corners. The R has 305s up front and 315s on the back.

How do the track widths compare? Is the Camaro wider than the Mustang? That has been a big advantage for the Camaro since the 80's.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #37
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
How do the track widths compare? Is the Camaro wider than the Mustang? That has been a big advantage for the Camaro since the 80's.
Z/28: FT= 66.14" RT= 64.65"
GT350: FT= 63.70" RT= 64.90"
Old 10-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #38
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
im so looking forward to this shootout. I think its going to be very entertaining. im still going with GT350R>Z/28>GT350. But you never know until we see the actual numbers. That Voodoo curve looks awesome but so does the LS7's. the advantage the Voodoo has is the rev range and the vehicle weight. Granted im not sure how much ~160lbs really effects it around a road course. I know at the strip the old rule of thumb is that every 100lbs is a tenth. I guess it would depend on the type of track you're racing on.
A real low speed technical course might favor the lighter weight GT350, however the low end torque of the LS7 might overcome that advantage making it moot. however on a fast, less technical course the extra weight might not be an issue since momentum has already gotten that weight moving, but the higher revving GT350 may have the advantage there.
I could be totally off base on this stuff as I really have ZERO road course experience haha, just my thoughts. correct me if im wrong.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #39
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
im so looking forward to this shootout. I think its going to be very entertaining. im still going with GT350R>Z/28>GT350. But you never know until we see the actual numbers. That Voodoo curve looks awesome but so does the LS7's. the advantage the Voodoo has is the rev range and the vehicle weight. Granted im not sure how much ~160lbs really effects it around a road course. I know at the strip the old rule of thumb is that every 100lbs is a tenth. I guess it would depend on the type of track you're racing on.
A real low speed technical course might favor the lighter weight GT350, however the low end torque of the LS7 might overcome that advantage making it moot. however on a fast, less technical course the extra weight might not be an issue since momentum has already gotten that weight moving, but the higher revving GT350 may have the advantage there.
I could be totally off base on this stuff as I really have ZERO road course experience haha, just my thoughts. correct me if im wrong.
I can't wait either, and I agree with the GT350R>Z/28>GT350TP. I think on a tight/technical course with short straights the Z/28 might even pull off the win against the GT350R, but long straights will definitely favor the car with more power and less weight. This is going to be one fun match up.

The Europeans are probably getting a bit worried right now. First the Z/28, then the new Stingray and Z06. Now we have the GT350 twins and the numbers from the 6th Gen SS all becoming real competitors in the performance arena, at a fraction of the price. Good days for America!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #40
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
I can't wait either, and I agree with the GT350R>Z/28>GT350TP. I think on a tight/technical course with short straights the Z/28 might even pull off the win against the GT350R, but long straights will definitely favor the car with more power and less weight. This is going to be one fun match up.

The Europeans are probably getting a bit worried right now. First the Z/28, then the new Stingray and Z06. Now we have the GT350 twins and the numbers from the 6th Gen SS all becoming real competitors in the performance arena, at a fraction of the price. Good days for America!
I think its awesome that the American car market is realizing that its not all about stop light to stop light drag races anymore. People want cars they can take to a road course and auto-x and be competitive with their European and Japanese counterparts without modification.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #41
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
I second that it is a good time to buy american and enjoy american cars again!

This is actually more of a statement that the 4cyl and 6 cylinder are competitive to the asian and european market. The v8 for the money is a monster compared to european. They think there v8's are made out of gold. They have different rules in europe for v8 vehicles and why they do not have as many. Although why do I have to spend 70 or 80k just because I want a v8 sports car? Look at Audi, Mercedes, BMW for a v8 and get ready to miss your down payment on your house for a car. Yes cadillac should be compared to those lines but the camaro performance attacks their high end cars for performance numbers.

Let us be real here and we are getting almost supercar numbers out of the ss camaro that can be had in the high 30's?
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #42
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
The gt350 has wider tires,weighs less,has more hp and the gearing to offset the lack of torque so what exactly makes some of you think the z28 can beat it? We know the 350's will be faster on the straights by looking at the mph difference on the drag strip.