Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #267
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
So is chevy just hedging their bets that in the future, 18-48 year olds will not value sporty / performance cars enough to make any Camaro replacement worth it?

Are they betting that that demographic will not be able to afford to have more than one car and will be more inclined to buy something else until they are older and well established (and can get a Corvette)?
(I feel like that is the reality whether it is what Chevy predicts)

I don't want to reignite the speculation that Challengers sell so well because they actually get advertised...... but..... the challenger and the charger (certainly the hellcats) really aren't having that much trouble. This is even despite the Challenger essentially being a 14 year old body style.

So even though Chevy missed when they made a car that could outperform everything else, at the expense of real world uses and drivability, there is still desire for a sports coupe type car. With Lexus and Mercedes even pushing harder into the segment in recent years.

Other than quitting is easier when you've already done it once, and other than making money is more important than making people happy, whats the big incentive to abandon a segment that everyone else is doing comparably well at?

(and since i don't work in the industry, or extensively study it, I apologize for any well meaning ignorance in my possible lack of knowledge)
Here is my take, people my age group (33 here) and the generation younger than me don't really value cars and driving. yeah there is a handful that do, but the vast majority do not. Cars get you from point A to point B. With the rise of rideshare, and teh fact lot of 22-30 year olds(at least my experience) like to live in the city there is no reason to own a car. Buddy of mine just moved out Chicago to the suburbs. He is an enthusiast and loves driving so he is the minority but he paid $300 month for his parking spot. The masses are not going to do that, they will just uber every where. Then by the time they are ready to move out of the city that means most of the time they are getting married and popping out kids, not a great combo for sporty car.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #268
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Here is my take, people my age group (33 here) and the generation younger than me don't really value cars and driving. yeah there is a handful that do, but the vast majority do not. Cars get you from point A to point B. With the rise of rideshare, and teh fact lot of 22-30 year olds(at least my experience) like to live in the city there is no reason to own a car. Buddy of mine just moved out Chicago to the suburbs. He is an enthusiast and loves driving so he is the minority but he paid $300 month for his parking spot. The masses are not going to do that, they will just uber every where. Then by the time they are ready to move out of the city that means most of the time they are getting married and popping out kids, not a great combo for sporty car.
Obviously location would be a major factor with our experiences. The Chicago area would yield a different opinion than my area lol; Uber does not even exist here. There is a fair population of vehicle enthusiasts, but I would agree that the younger crowd doesn't value it much, in general. I'm 29 and I've always had an obsession with vehicles... but again, I think I am the minority.

I would never want to live in a city. Do I like cities? Yes, I love some..to visit and go back home.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #269
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
What's unfortunate about that is the simple fact kids just aren't interested in cars period.

When I was 7 there was a TV show about two good ol boys from Georgia who fought a corrupt government to help innocent people getting taken advantage of by that government. They drove a bright orange 1969 Dodge Charger which literally kicked my love affair with fast cars into full throttle. At 7 I was learning to build plastic model kits of cars and by the time I was a teenager I probably had a hundred. Most of them I still have today.

At 13 I was driving. Not just up and down the driveway, my Grandfather tossed me the keys to his then 5 year old 1985 Cadillac Eldorado in triple black complete with the full digital instrument cluster and told me to take him up to the corner store. At 15 I had learned to drive a manual transmission, on a 1938 Pontiac Fireball 8 that my uncle was fixing. By the time I was 15.5 I was chomping at the bit to get my temps, and every day dragged on till I could get my full license.

To this day my #1 hobby is anything to do with cars. My Mom got me subscriptions to Car and Driver and Road and Track for my 13th birthday and I've had them ever since. For 30 years I've read everything in those magazines front to back. I wasn't just looking at the pictures

And to me, it's sort of natural for kids to want their drivers license in a really bad way. I remember girls in high school who loved driving just as much as guys did. One guy in my class drove his Dad's 1967 Buick Riviera GS to school on nice days. Needless to say he was just slightly popular.

It's a shame how kids have no interest in cars now. Hell I don't care if I lived right next door to my job and everything I needed was within a mile of my house. I'd STILL have a car and drive to work
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #270
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
What's unfortunate about that is the simple fact kids just aren't interested in cars period.

When I was 7 there was a TV show about two good ol boys from Georgia who fought a corrupt government to help innocent people getting taken advantage of by that government. They drove a bright orange 1969 Dodge Charger which literally kicked my love affair with fast cars into full throttle. At 7 I was learning to build plastic model kits of cars and by the time I was a teenager I probably had a hundred. Most of them I still have today.

At 13 I was driving. Not just up and down the driveway, my Grandfather tossed me the keys to his then 5 year old 1985 Cadillac Eldorado in triple black complete with the full digital instrument cluster and told me to take him up to the corner store. At 15 I had learned to drive a manual transmission, on a 1938 Pontiac Fireball 8 that my uncle was fixing. By the time I was 15.5 I was chomping at the bit to get my temps, and every day dragged on till I could get my full license.

To this day my #1 hobby is anything to do with cars. My Mom got me subscriptions to Car and Driver and Road and Track for my 13th birthday and I've had them ever since. For 30 years I've read everything in those magazines front to back. I wasn't just looking at the pictures

And to me, it's sort of natural for kids to want their drivers license in a really bad way. I remember girls in high school who loved driving just as much as guys did. One guy in my class drove his Dad's 1967 Buick Riviera GS to school on nice days. Needless to say he was just slightly popular.

It's a shame how kids have no interest in cars now. Hell I don't care if I lived right next door to my job and everything I needed was within a mile of my house. I'd STILL have a car and drive to work

I love the Duke boys and the General Lee.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #271
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I love the Duke boys and the General Lee.
not to mention Daisy!!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #272
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Obviously location would be a major factor with our experiences. The Chicago area would yield a different opinion than my area lol; Uber does not even exist here. There is a fair population of vehicle enthusiasts, but I would agree that the younger crowd doesn't value it much, in general. I'm 29 and I've always had an obsession with vehicles... but again, I think I am the minority.

I would never want to live in a city. Do I like cities? Yes, I love some..to visit and go back home.
Location plays a huge role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

My dad was a gear head so I got into cars right away.

Unfortunately from what I have seen it's common for kids to not get their drivers license right away anymore. My wifes cousins, didn't get them until one turned 18, the other is 19 now and still doesn't have her license and has no desire to.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #273
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Location plays a huge role.

My dad was a gear head so I got into cars right away.

Unfortunately from what I have seen it's common for kids to not get their drivers license right away anymore. My wifes cousins, didn't get them until one turned 18, the other is 19 now and still doesn't have her license and has no desire to.
That can save on insurance! I wish my kids had wanted to wait a bit longer!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #274
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
not to mention Daisy!!
Couldn't tell you what she even looks like. Legs? Yep, that's her!!
Old 02-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #275
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Coupes in general are a dying segment. And there aren’t enough people now that value what the Camaro to justify further investment.
Refusing to advertise them (and I'm going to include sedans as well) means that the only vehicles people are going to see being promoted are going to be more ways to buy an SUV or a truck. Buyers today are less likely to be aware that there's anything else, based on TV advertising anyway.

Norm
Old 02-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #276
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Refusing to advertise them (and I'm going to include sedans as well) means that the only vehicles people are going to see being promoted are going to be more ways to buy an SUV or a truck. Buyers today are less likely to be aware that there's anything else, based on TV advertising anyway.

Norm
Norm, seriously, as I’ve said many times, they designed the Gen6 for the wants and needs of the “Camaro Faithful” a small group of about a dozen or so recognized by GM enthusiasts. It was not designed for broad appeal. From what I’ve heard it was never even cliniced. As I’ve said it would be the same as advertising LH baseball gloves to Right Handers. More awareness of a car with poor visibility, no trunk space and a limited rear seat won’t result in more sales, at least enough to justify the expense. Plus you have to at least admit anyone in the segment buying a Mustang or Challenger already knows about the Camaro. So advertising would be for people buying SUVs and convincing them to go 180 degrees different. And that is not we’re the market is trending.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #277
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
But considering a Mustang or Challenger is similar to cutting down the line of evergreens you planted to block out the view of your annoying neighbor. A line many do not want to cross.

Once past the faithful being satisfied, it still looks like a GM dropped the ball. A sunk cost that is getting thrown back in the forum's face.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #278
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Norm, seriously, as I’ve said many times, they designed the Gen6 for the wants and needs of the “Camaro Faithful” a small group of about a dozen or so recognized by GM enthusiasts. It was not designed for broad appeal. From what I’ve heard it was never even cliniced. As I’ve said it would be the same as advertising LH baseball gloves to Right Handers. More awareness of a car with poor visibility, no trunk space and a limited rear seat won’t result in more sales, at least enough to justify the expense. Plus you have to at least admit anyone in the segment buying a Mustang or Challenger already knows about the Camaro. So advertising would be for people buying SUVs and convincing them to go 180 degrees different. And that is not we’re the market is trending.
I think you are wrong. I think GM is completely wrong here. This is not a Lamborghini that has a limited customer base simply by price alone, let alone whether it is designed for enthusiasts and those who want one know where to get one. Lambos and Ferraris don't need to advertise at all.

The Camaro is a car that starts in the $25k price range. It's affordable to probably 80% of every American driver on the road today. Yet to say advertising it is a waste of money for GM because it wouldn't increase sales is absolutely ridiculous. It's illogical and backwards.

I guarantee you GM is missing out on sales that would equate to more money brought in than spent on advertising just by the fact a lot of people don't even know a thing about the Camaro. They would if you advertised it!!

Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #279
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
IMO No. 3 has a point but at the same time, I feel like it's not anything good marketing couldn't turn around.

Literally, make ads targeting visibility. People question it? You answer it back. Throw in some witty jokes. "Heh you can still see hot guys and girls and that's really all that matters." Also mention the convertibles.

Or IDK, just more media presence in general. Transformers may have run its course but there are other good action flicks out there to bank on.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #280
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I have my crystal ball, now sometimes it is off by a little bit but

Camaro's Future is simply an Electric version or gone. And with GM Claiming 30 new models of EV by 2025. One or the other is coming rapidly.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote