Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #71
BlacknRed1990

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0t A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Nightmare.
If they blow up my engine I'll have to agree with that but for now my biggest complaint is slow response to support tickets/log reviews. Submitted a new data log last tuesday and no response yet.
Current mods: GM performance catback exhaust - JMS PEDALMAX throttle controller - K&N Drop In Air Filter - ZZP Intake Tube - ZZP catted downpipe - ZZP Larger (67mm) throttle body - BNR recirculator valve - Mishimoto intercooler pipes - Mishimoto intercooler - PTP turbo blanket - ZZP flex fuel kit - ZZP big wheel turbo - RX billet stall converter

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Tires: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40/20
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II RunonFlat 245/50/18
BlacknRed1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #72
Keandre8

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRed1990 View Post
If they blow up my engine I'll have to agree with that but for now my biggest complaint is slow response to support tickets/log reviews. Submitted a new data log last tuesday and no response yet.
Yea it has been taking a while, we got ours on the same day and i just got my updated tune for E85 last night. Haven't been able to drive it too much to see the difference yet tho.
Keandre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #73
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Nightmare.

wishing ppl would just go with with hp tuners. so its twice the $outlay but you could have people looking on to help TS. for this amount aggravation you can save a lot of headaches. a base tune just isn't all that special of a secret, you can simply buy a great canned tune and see what is going on for your self. shops can stick to more advance setups like fuel mods and still make their money doing shop level stuff.

I will get blow back, but open source simply works.....

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #74
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I got your back in this one Wookwook HPTuners or Bust.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #75
wookwook

I'm not trying to undercut that there is a science to it, but if you stay inside the torque tables, the system manages itself. I think techs get stumped here and overthink the system and try and reinvent the wheel. At this level, its a basic torque table bump, MAF re-calibration. So you will need to road log and turn around a Maf curve update. All you are doing is calling for the reserve that the turbo has available for use max altitude and load. Its just a series of table settings and if your at lower DA levels you can enjoy the reserve power. Its that simple. The ecu doesn't need to be re-coded for what is does inherently. You are just raising the bar for the peak delivered TQ and it complies. You could almost say, GM techs made it easy to get this and self indulge in a TQ tweak.

If you ever had a 2.5 hp minibike and remember reaching down and holding open the governor by hand, that's the basic analogy.

ppl adding timing and closed loop fueling its just a big mistake imho. it uses the builtin WB sensor to max advantage and almost has self-awareness. spooky.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 05-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #76
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Not sure on all of that seen some weird things happen with these ECMs that make no sense to even seasoned engineers. My advice to people would be to simply get HPTuners or EFILive if you choose that route and go at it with a tuner you know small brick by brick no giant cinder block moves until your confident shit is dialed in.

I got to meet 2 of those said engineers and trust me when I say they did not do anything intentionally with this platform they made it as cheap as they could for GM not knowing it would be even remotely as successful as it has been simply looking to get good on the whole Emissions/EPA restrictions.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #77
wookwook

I get it. When I put all the information out there together, I am just having a hard time understanding the difficulty in the "basic" boost tune. I think I am going to work on a diy page and post up a how-to on doing your own basic torque bump tune. Like I said, and I stand by my impression, legacy tuners are approaching the LTG wrong.

Also, said web resource would be open to comments and critiques and in the end owners can probably use HP tuners to build and load their own files. All my research and references would be based on easily linked articles and open information. I get this would be a wake up call to shops to up their game. And whatever. Its a missing market I am willing to test.

This skill and knowledge is supposed to be honed by years of racing experience by reputable shops. The LTG is not exactly in that vein of engine so there isn't a lot of that specific experience, just mostly "transferred" knowledge and that goes far, but in the end - getting the ecu to respond correctly is specific to this car only. It won't be forced into submission, like on other model engines. I'm not trying to up sell myself by any stretch its just an observation.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 05-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #78
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
I do not a whole lot of the tuning phase of a vehicle. I maybe wrong from what I learned throughout the years of being around tuned pcm's. Should a good tuner know to look at the volumetric efficiency data table and see the fuel curve (injector pulse width time) vs rpm? From last time I have looked at one (10 years plus), shouldnt a dyno tune adjust the time or duration the injector stays open in correlation with valve timing (intake stroke and valve overlapping)?
Another thing I have remembered from being an auto technician is that it's better to burn rich than lean. When I was at Mitsubishi, we saw tuned evos and you can flag one by looking at the back bumper covered from too rich condition and had that smell during idle from the tailpipe. Plus they had a recall on the ECM for an update and if the module rejected the update, we knew it was tuned and had to send our work to the warranty clerk to alert the owner that their warranty is voided.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #79
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
I do not a whole lot of the tuning phase of a vehicle. I maybe wrong from what I learned throughout the years of being around tuned pcm's. Should a good tuner know to look at the volumetric efficiency data table and see the fuel curve (injector pulse width time) vs rpm? From last time I have looked at one (10 years plus), shouldnt a dyno tune adjust the time or duration the injector stays open in correlation with valve timing (intake stroke and valve overlapping)?
Another thing I have remembered from being an auto technician is that it's better to burn rich than lean. When I was at Mitsubishi, we saw tuned evos and you can flag one by looking at the back bumper covered from too rich condition and had that smell during idle from the tailpipe. Plus they had a recall on the ECM for an update and if the module rejected the update, we knew it was tuned and had to send our work to the warranty clerk to alert the owner that their warranty is voided.

Absolutely. Any good tuner understands that you will never have a good MAF without a dialed in VE on GenV. What no one gets is this PCM will always look to both VVE and MAF even if one is disabled.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #80
BlacknRed1990

About had it with BNR, over 2 weeks later I finally get a response from Jerry stating that it looks like spark plug blowout on his end and asked me what my plugs are gapped to. I already knew blowout was a potential issue after tuning so they were already gapped to .022". I answered his question last Thursday and still no response to that yet, if I have to wait another 2 weeks I think I'm just gonna drop them and move on with my other plans for my car this year.
Current mods: GM performance catback exhaust - JMS PEDALMAX throttle controller - K&N Drop In Air Filter - ZZP Intake Tube - ZZP catted downpipe - ZZP Larger (67mm) throttle body - BNR recirculator valve - Mishimoto intercooler pipes - Mishimoto intercooler - PTP turbo blanket - ZZP flex fuel kit - ZZP big wheel turbo - RX billet stall converter

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Old 05-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #81
BlacknRed1990

My prime suspect for the lean issue is this Injen intake, based on what Brian at VT told me about turbulent airflow/inconsistent airflow readings on the MAF. I still have the stock intake so I'll try throwing that back in sometime next week probably and testing.

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Old 05-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #82
wookwook

Why. Just why. I would love to see this tune file.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #83
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Hit up Vince at Trifecta.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #84
wookwook

Curious to know. How are you seeing a lean condition. I am guessing the efi app? Are you looking at commanded lambda vs sensor, and/or trim tables? And what is the indication saying. Or is there some code? Part of tuning would be to calibrate the maf for the air flow. It's actually one of the most basic parts and to do it properly requires some temporary overrides to isolate out the things that can do affect fuel mix during the measurement run. Which you can do in your driveway, btw. The tuning school provides a separate dedicated how-to on this. I've seen vids of guys taking a journey to fill the maf error table you just don't need to do that. Some of the ancient info to ignore.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106