Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
It will make 625++HP from what i think is coming its one of the (per CI) most powerfully motor GM has made.
I can't but think that if they could've gotten that kind of power from even the 6.2 N/A, and still hit all the gov't mandates, they would've put it in the Z06.

That said, if they can get it by spinning it to the moon, what happens to that beautiful low end torque band we have all come to know and love?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #16
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I can't but think that if they could've gotten that kind of power from even the 6.2 N/A, and still hit all the gov't mandates, they would've put it in the Z06.

That said, if they can get it by spinning it to the moon, what happens to that beautiful low end torque band we have all come to know and love?
It will become a rubber band like the Voodoo. Just don't see it happening.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Because GM is building it one of two things will happen

Suddenly that torque curve won't matter anymore, we have always loved having to rev to the moon

or

Because GM is making it it will run on unicorn blood and be able to produce gobs of torque down low just because its a GM engine
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:

If its the 5.5 you may lose torque, whats the old saying "There no replacement for displacement" that's why i was hoping for the SB4, with that motor you get good torque # and high RPM, But then there is gearing, by adding a 7th gear and going with 4.11 rear end you can make up some of that torque loss.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Because GM is building it one of two things will happen

Suddenly that torque curve won't matter anymore, we have always loved having to rev to the moon

or

Because GM is making it it will run on unicorn blood and be able to produce gobs of torque down low just because its a GM engine
Depends on how they do it. The Voodoo doesn’t have direct injection. If the 5.5 has direct injection, they can increase the compression ratio and get some of that torque back.

Granted, a 5.5 liter making north of 600 hp will be almost all top end, it just won’t be entirely gutless at low rpm.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Depends on how they do it. The Voodoo doesn’t have direct injection. If the 5.5 has direct injection, they can increase the compression ratio and get some of that torque back.

Granted, a 5.5 liter making north of 600 hp will be almost all top end, it just won’t be entirely gutless at low rpm.
I think Chevy is going to bring Dual Injection to the SS for the new refresh in 2019 so that will bring the power up a bit for that. Then this new engine for the C8 & Z/28 will be dual injection too so combine that with DOHC and more Revs could mean north of 600HP. Just my prediction.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #21
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
If they coukd make 625hp id say they sqeak out over 500lbft. That'd make for a nasty power curve and drag alot of boosted cars...cough cough zl1
Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #22
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
cam in cam as used in the Viper would deliver the a large increase in mid range torque and increase top end HP. Cheap tech, already implemented.

https://www.allpar.com/cars/viper/2013-viper-power.html
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #23
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I think Chevy is going to bring Dual Injection to the SS for the new refresh in 2019 so that will bring the power up a bit for that. Then this new engine for the C8 & Z/28 will be dual injection too so combine that with DOHC and more Revs could mean north of 600HP. Just my prediction.
Yeah, that may be the case. Still, 600+ hp from a 5.5 liter is asking a lot out of a production engine. That’s approaching Ferrari levels of volumetric efficiency. I don’t see GM putting out an engine that’s as finicky as the 4.5 liter in the Italia, but we shall see.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #24
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Yeah, that may be the case. Still, 600+ hp from a 5.5 liter is asking a lot out of a production engine. That’s approaching Ferrari levels of volumetric efficiency. I don’t see GM putting out an engine that’s as finicky as the 4.5 liter in the Italia, but we shall see.
Who says it has to be that small? I know the main reason would be emissions but I think they will be able to manage the emissions enough to have a 6.0 or 6.2, just look at all the crazy emissions stuff they came up with for the new 2019 Silverado. Like someone else said the main problem is upon startup, I would bet they will be able to figure it out so that we can have a 6L, probably won't see another 7L though unfortunately.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #25
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Who says it has to be that small? I know the main reason would be emissions but I think they will be able to manage the emissions enough to have a 6.0 or 6.2, just look at all the crazy emissions stuff they came up with for the new 2019 Silverado. Like someone else said the main problem is upon startup, I would bet they will be able to figure it out so that we can have a 6L, probably won't see another 7L though unfortunately.
I would assume it would need to be that "small" to fit in the mid engine vette. Wouldn't a 6.0 or 6.2L DOHC be extremely large? If they were going to go 6.2 why not just rework the LT1
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 01-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #26
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I would assume it would need to be that "small" to fit in the mid engine vette. Wouldn't a 6.0 or 6.2L DOHC be extremely large? If they were going to go 6.2 why not just rework the LT1
Actually, I think the mid engine platform would allow for a bigger engine. One of the reasons GM (Tadge Juechter) said they stuck with the pushrod V8 in the C7 was because a DOHC was too tall fit under the low hood line. In a mid engine car, there's more room because of the rake of the design. A 6.2 DOHC would fit.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #27
shaffe

Learn something new everyday!
Old 01-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #28
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Thats so funny, but look for this HP per liter, so a 5.5 can make as much as 696.9HP
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote