Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Great Lakes

Phastek Performance

Old 01-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #1
JohnE

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS / 1SS
Schaumburg Dealer Taxes

Just bought a new vehicle in Schaumburg at a Zeigler dealer Dec 30th. I just noticed on the bill of sale that they charged me a "City of Chicago Tax" and a "Cook County tax". These added about $1k extra in tax. I live in Gurnee (Lake County). Do Cook county dealers charge their high sales tax to all customers or is this probably an error?

I thought the sales tax was based on where you lived, not where you buy. Any help?

thanks. John
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #2
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Where you buy your car at you get their taxes. Let’s say I went to Florida and I live in Texas to go buy a camaro, I’d get taxed Florida taxes when buying the camaro out there.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
JohnE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
Where you buy your car at you get their taxes. Let’s say I went to Florida and I live in Texas to go buy a camaro, I’d get taxed Florida taxes when buying the camaro out there.
You are correct state to state. In my case, I live in Illinois already. Just a different county. Cook county and other super high tax counties make it so that no matter where in the state you purchase, you will get their tax. As far as I know, the same happens in the lower tax counties otherwise the Cook county dealerships lose a lot of business. Illinois is a horrible state btw.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
Herewego

Drives: 2018 2SS
I also thought it was based on residency as well. I live in Lindenhurst up by you but I've always bought cars in lake county. I found this website with a quick grid and it looks like you have to pay 0.25% to 0.5% more if you buy in Cook Co.

http://salestaxoncars.com

I try not to buy anything in Cook county or Chicago...politicians there are thieves when it comes to taxes. I'm actually thinking of moving out of Illinois altogether just to escape the tax burden here.
Herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I bought a car in Ohio and live in Fort Lauderdale full time-one address. The dealer in Ohio charged me the exact amount of sales tax that i pay for anything bought in my residing county in Florida.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Just bought a new vehicle in Schaumburg at a Zeigler dealer Dec 30th. I just noticed on the bill of sale that they charged me a "City of Chicago Tax" and a "Cook County tax". These added about $1k extra in tax. I live in Gurnee (Lake County). Do Cook county dealers charge their high sales tax to all customers or is this probably an error?

I thought the sales tax was based on where you lived, not where you buy. Any help?

thanks. John
You got boned by coming down to my hometown. I’m waiting for the notice from Cook County for buying my truck in DuPage. Crook County is great at dipping their hands in everyone else’s pockets.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
They screwed up. You should've only been taxed 7.25% and a $15 Cook County tax (for the sale of a new motor vehicle).

I bought a Jeep from Zeigler a few months ago . . . just double-checked and that's what they charged me, so it's probably an honest mistake. Go get some money back.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
JohnE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
They screwed up. You should've only been taxed 7.25% and a $15 Cook County tax (for the sale of a new motor vehicle).

I bought a Jeep from Zeigler a few months ago . . . just double-checked and that's what they charged me, so it's probably an honest mistake. Go get some money back.

Thanks. Yeah. I also purchased from Zeigler. I'm gonna call them today.

I agree with some of the other posters. We are looking to leave Illinois also. The tax situation has gotten out of control.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:

This is not correct. You pay taxes based on where you live. I bought my Camry at Carmax in Kenosha WI. I paid Cook County IL. tax.

Bought my Camaro in IN. Paid Cook Country IL. Tax.

Last edited by init4fun; 02-27-2018 at 08:33 AM.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
Quote:
not exactly true, I just bought a car in Il. and live in Wi. and I only paid Wi. taxes.

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
CamaroSue

Drives: 2019 Corvette GS, 2023 ZL1
I bought a car in WI and didn't pay any tax. When I registered the car in IL, then I paid the IL taxes (at the time Kane County was 7%). Yeah, they messed up. But I don't how "honest" of a mistake it was! I don't buy anything in Cook County!!!!! Although the state in general is out of control!!!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
The answer to these questions is.....it depends. In general, when you buy out of state, out of county, etc. you pay the taxes for where you reside. Generally, if you buy out of state, the dealer does not charge the sales tax, you pay it when you get home and register your car.

However, if you finance through the dealer you buy from, depending on the finance company, they may require the dealer to collect taxes at time of purchase at the local tax rate where the dealership is. When you go to register your car in your home state you will need to show proof that taxes were paid, and either make up the difference if the dealer tax rate was less than yours, or if it was more you will need to then fill out a form to collect that tax from the state where the dealer was. It all depends on the finance company, most likely large finance companies like Ally or GM Financial will do this, smaller companies typically won't.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote