Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I tightened my bleeders to 15-nm and no more leaks since, but also cleaned the nipples and caps, which I don't think were cleaned out before.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #16
rickybobby

Drives: BMW M3, ZL1 1LE
I have the exact same issue with my brakes and I think I figured out why.
There is residual red powder coating on my bleeder screws that I am guessing is preventing proper seating if the bleeder screw.

My symptoms are the same as you are describing. A bit of weeping after on track sessions except I did experience a softer pedal.

I’m going to see if they can be easily cleaned or if I should just buy all new bleeder screws. Can anyone confirm if their bleeder screws have red powder coating on them as well? I’m curious.
Attached Images

rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #17
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
I have the exact same issue with my brakes and I think I figured out why.
There is residual red powder coating on my bleeder screws that I am guessing is preventing proper seating if the bleeder screw.

My symptoms are the same as you are describing. A bit of weeping after on track sessions except I did experience a softer pedal.

I’m going to see if they can be easily cleaned or if I should just buy all new bleeder screws. Can anyone confirm if their bleeder screws have red powder coating on them as well? I’m curious.
My Gen5 had some paint on the bleeder, but the bleeder does all of its sealing at the very bottom, so this paint wouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #18
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Just remember not to over tighten them, the more you do wil risk damage to the threads. Most won't torque to specs but don't do the typical 1/4 turn past of being tight..back off and tighten again. Just tighten until snugs and stops. After bleeding all is done go back and just check all to ensure they are all tight.. This is will give you the chance to see if any have leaked and confidence of all being tight.

It really sucks to clean threads out and needing to tap to a oversize bleeder or having to replace the whole caliper.
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
rickybobby

Drives: BMW M3, ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
My Gen5 had some paint on the bleeder, but the bleeder does all of its sealing at the very bottom, so this paint wouldn't be a problem.
Agreed, but I’m thinking that the paint is giving a false torque reading.

To Ventura1LE’s comment, I’m more worried about over torquing than anything else so cleaning the threads is my first thought. In all my years, I’ve never actually used a torque wrench in a brake bleeder screw until now..
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #20
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 1LE View Post
Just remember not to over tighten them, the more you do wil risk damage to the threads. Most won't torque to specs but don't do the typical 1/4 turn past of being tight..back off and tighten again. Just tighten until snugs and stops. After bleeding all is done go back and just check all to ensure they are all tight.. This is will give you the chance to see if any have leaked and confidence of all being tight.

It really sucks to clean threads out and needing to tap to a oversize bleeder or having to replace the whole caliper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
Agreed, but I’m thinking that the paint is giving a false torque reading.

To Ventura1LE’s comment, I’m more worried about over torquing than anything else so cleaning the threads is my first thought. In all my years, I’ve never actually used a torque wrench in a brake bleeder screw until now..

The torque spec, from the Gen5 GM service manual is 88 in/lbs. I'm sure it's the same # for the Gen6's. To me, 88 doesn't feel very tight and I have tightened them with my wrench and then hit it with the torque wrench to find that they are already tight. In 4 years of tracking my car I have broke 2 bleeders when going to loosen them. Both at the rear calipers. The first one was the eye opening moment when I realized that I needed to clean out the residual fluid better. Any residual fluid will absorb moisture and start to corrode the bleeder at the threads, it then acts like a thread locker, requiring more torque to loosen then snap!

Fortunately I was able to remove both broken bleeders from the caliper with out damage to the seat or threads. Years of wrenching in a power plant (and cars) has brought many tricks.

The paint will only be on the exposed threads, so it probably will not affect any torque #s.