Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
TCL

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS/ Nightfall gray
Type of oil to use after h/c job

What kind of oil is recommended to use after a h/c job. And do I have to change after so many miles?
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:06 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Amsoil ZRod 5w30. You need the ZDDP (zinc) in it. There is also Driven 5w30. I prefer Amsoil. dont use mobile 1. they took most of the zinc out of it. just about all oil brands took the zinc out of there oil for emissions and claim it clogs catalytic converters but it doesn't.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
What kind of oil is recommended to use after a h/c job. And do I have to change after so many miles?
Unless you switched to a flat tappet cam design and/or raised redline rpm by thousands....than regular oil as recommended should do just fine imo. But if you are worried call a reputable shop like Lingenfelter (or others) and see what they recommend as they warranty their cam packages.

Note ZDDP is not just zinc, but also phosphorus and the latter will have an effect in the CATs. Also note that ZRod oil (10W30) has been specifically designed for flat tappet cam motors (and the chances are very high that's not what you have) and falls outside viscosity ratings recommended for LT1.

Last edited by TrackClub; 04-21-2019 at 09:12 PM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
JCunningham

plenty of failures on cammed cars because of people using regular full synthetic. You need ZRod. track club dont you remember all the cammed ls motors that were blowing up because they were using mobile 1. GM says 15w40 is fine for track use so 10w30 is fine for everyday use. With a cam you should be letting the car warm up befor romping on it so the oils going to act like 30w the same as 5w30. if your going to be driving the car in below freezing temps you should put 5w30 in it. people have been running ZRod and Driven for over 100,000 miles and it never clogged a cat. maybe in 200,000 miles it might
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 04-21-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #5
TCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Amsoil ZRod 5w30. You need the ZDDP (zinc) in it. There is also Driven 5w30. I prefer Amsoil. dont use mobile 1. they took most of the zinc out of it. just about all oil brands took the zinc out of there oil for emissions and claim it clogs catalytic converters but it doesn't.
So you're saying to get 10 qts of amsoil to use for breaking in first hundred miles or to use it on every oil change?Im doing heads and a new cam soon, just need know beforehand thanks.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #6
TrackClub

Quote:
plenty of failures on cammed cars because of people using regular full synthetic. You need ZRod. track club dont you remember all the cammed ls motors that were blowing up because they were using mobile 1. GM says 15w40 is fine for track use so 10w30 is fine for everyday use. With a cam you should be letting the car warm up befor romping on it so the oils going to act like 30w the same as 5w30. if your going to be driving the car in below freezing temps you should put 5w30 in it. people have been running ZRod and Driven for over 100,000 miles and it never clogged a cat. maybe in 200,000 miles it might
Plenty of reasons for a cammed motor to grenade other than oil. Starting with the specs, quality of build, redline increases, internals, valve springs, bad tunes, timing chains etc. Personally, i know a few guys with cammed LS3s who use regular Mobil1 5W30 and beat up on their track cars with zero issues. I have had a cammed C5Z and hammered on it for years with no special oil. The car is now 15 yrs old, still going strong with an original motor and Mobil1 5w30 in it.

GM is saying 15W50 higher SAPS oil is fine for track because those cars will be WOT most of the time. But note they say NOT to use it for street. This is little to do with its grade and much to do with its SAPS content, which Amsoil says clearly that ZRod doesnt meet re new spec limits. Note they do not provide specifics in their data sheet, so one doesnt really know how much SAPS it contains.

Keep in mind that forced induction is very hard on motors, yet ZL1s survive putting out serious power on GM recommended oil with low SAPS. And I am yet to hear about a single LT4 failing (Camaro or Corvette) yet ppl have been beating up on them for 6 yrs and counting.

Like i suggested before, the OP should call a pro shop like Lingenfelter, or others like him. And no doubt they would ask him questions about his build before offering any advice. That's for damn sure. Anyhow, i dont think i can add any value added here, beyond what i have already stated. Ciao and all the best!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:52 AM   #7
TrackClub

Great article on ZDDP, motor wear protection etc.
From Amsoil. Worth reading...

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/cla...ar-protection/
Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
So you're saying to get 10 qts of amsoil to use for breaking in first hundred miles or to use it on every oil change?Im doing heads and a new cam soon, just need know beforehand thanks.
every oil change
Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
TCL

oil

Quote:
Thanks for the info
Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
JCunningham

change it at 5000miles and have it tested. Blackstone said on my cammed LS3 at 5000 it was almost like new and told me to send in a 8000 mile sample. I got my 17 befor i got there.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #11
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I have been using 15w50 Mobil1. One of the highest Zinc content oils you can find over the counter (1300ppm), and you can get it at Walmart in the 5qt jugs for $22 on sale.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #12
TrackClub

Worth reading:

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/commun...n-engine-oil#/

I would really call your cam manufacturer for direction.

Ps Mobil 1 15w50 is a great oil. But if driven daily vs race track it will likely impact cats longevity.