Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
What am I feeling?

Had another track day at Pocono yesterday with TNIA. During the 2nd and 3rd run I really started feeling something I have a hard time explaining while on the limit in certain corners. I can only describe it as "warbling" or a "whirring", not a vibration but a rotational noise similar to the sound you hear when brake rotors are warped. But this was happening while not on the brakes in corners at close to 1.1G's according to the HUD. I can feel it ever so lightly in the wheel, maybe in the seat. Car is an 18 SS 1LE w/5100 miles, stock with original tires and brakes. Care has 4 track days on it now. Tires in good shape, brakes as well. I feel it's in the front end.

I keep thinking a wheel bearing but I know everyone says the bearings should be fine for a long time. Fronts were at 27psi cold, rears at 28psi. hot pressures were right around 35-36psi. For sure I'm driving the car near the limit, it's moving around ever so slightly under corner load and a bit of tire squeal.

I just wish I knew what I'm feeling. Maybe someone here will have experienced it and can help me diagnose. Maybe its just rubber build up on the tires?

Thanks,

Mark
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
It is likely just the tires. My SC3s make a noise similar to a low tire when cornering hard. I notice it most when I’m at Willow Springs in turn 2(a 180* uphill sweeper) where I enter at mid 80s and exit at 100.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
It is likely just the tires. My SC3s make a noise similar to a low tire when cornering hard. I notice it most when I’m at Willow Springs in turn 2(a 180* uphill sweeper) where I enter at mid 80s and exit at 100.
I never thought about it just being the tires. I guess because I never really heard it the first or 2nd time I tracked the car but maybe it's just because I'm pushing it more as I get more seat time.

Thanks for the info
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I'd second it being the tires. OE means they're at least 3 years old. Even if they look fine, the SC3 compound seems to harden up a little and start making weird noises once they're 2-3 years old regardless of miles or how they were driven. Should still be OK to drive on, just won't be as high performing as they were when they were new. I'm experiencing the same thing on a few sets of older (2017 and 2018 production) SC3s I've had stored for a bit.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
Wontspeak

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Stay out of the marbles *laughs*
Attached Images

Wontspeak is offline   Reply With Quote