Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
GM Letter to the Editor--Nice Story

This was in the Detroit Free Press, and I thought it was worth sharing. I think there are a lot of people out there like her that are realizing what GM has provided, and are coming around to consider a GM car again. If they are able to continue their "turn-around" hopefully they will have a group of potential customers at least willing to consider a GM car again. I was never part of a "GM family"--My dad owned a BMW shop in a heavily domestic area. I eventually became part of a "GM family" and parked my BMW (which is currently hibernating in the garage) and was surprised how nice my options were in regards to GM vehicles. The new CTS is beautiful and nicer in many ways to all the 3 series I used to drive....Hopefully, more people will be willing to try out an American car in the future--

For Dad, GM was Opportunity...

When my parents visit me in Los Angeles, Dad counts cars on the freeway.

"All Toyota, Honda, Hyundai ... no GM or Ford cars?" he asks.

I mechanically sigh, "Sorry, Dad, not many GM cars here."

My dad loves General Motors. Until his early retirement last week, he had been at GM for 28 1/2 years, starting back when Jimmy Carter was president and gas prices were below a dollar! Yet, despite my dad's career, I drive a BMW. One of my sisters drives a Honda, and the other doesn't even own a car. She relies on public transportation.

To be honest, I didn't really feel bad about this until now.

Like thousands of others in the Detroit area, my family grew up with the Big Three. The vehicles in your driveway -- Ford, GM or Chrysler -- told your neighbors where you worked. Our family cars began with a Malibu station wagon that carried us on our best road trips.

As my sisters and I reached teen years, our family went through several Pontiac Grand Ams, a red hot Firebird for my mom, a Saturn, even a GeoTracker. With each one came the proud picture of my dad standing in the driveway in front the shiny, new GM vehicle, hands on hips, beaming. He loved being able to "upgrade" to a new GM car.

"American is the best," my dad would say. And Ford? "GM is much better," he scoffed.

But by the time both my sisters and I graduated college, we were burned out from owning GM cars.

"Dad, I'm buying a Toyota," my sister challenged one car shopping summer. My dad was hurt. It didn't really register with me then how a simple act of buying a non-GM car could affect him. But it did. He argued pointedly about the strength, quality and affordability of a GM car, but my sister didn't back down. Finally, my youngest sister said, "Why are you arguing with a man wearing a shirt that says 'I AM GM'?" Good point. End of discussion.

Being part of a generation that expects to bounce to a different job every few years, I didn't understand then how a company could mean so much to my dad. But looking back now, GM has always been more than just an employer to him.

My parents came to the United States in 1975 immediately after the Vietnam War. Photos of them show a shy, young Vietnamese couple in their early 20s. The pictures don't show that my mother also was seven months pregnant, with me. They had no money, no suitcase, no home, and a baby on the way.

My parents were readily sponsored by a kind Southern couple who to this day we affectionately call "Grandma and Grandpa of Kentucky." They welcomed us into their own family, providing home cooking, "Sesame Street" and English lessons. It was my parents' first taste of "Americana" -- the generosity of spirit.

Through a close friend of the Kentucky couple, my dad was offered a job opportunity in Michigan, so we moved to Detroit, where he landed on a GM assembly line. We moved from a warm, bright home that smelled of freshly baked banana bread every morning into a dark, dank loft in downtown Detroit. I was 4 years old. I didn't know we were poor. I still wanted a new Barbie and a birthday cake. Meanwhile, both parents switched off attending night school to study English and drafting.

A few years later, my dad was offered his first desk job at GM. I still remember the excitement as my parents bought our first home in a family-oriented neighborhood of Madison Heights. I had my own bedroom, and so did my new baby sister. Both my parents continued attending night school, my father now studying auto body design and more English (which he found much more difficult than design).

Dad's GM job paid for our groceries, my pom-pom camps, my sister's tennis lessons, karate lessons, ballet lessons, and so on. GM provided us with scholarship assistance, and medical and dental care. GM watched as my family moved from poor to lower-middle class to middle class to upper-middle class in the span of 28 1/2 years. My father's desk at GM was adorned with photos from family trips, birthday parties, elementary school talent shows, high school dances and college graduations that GM made possible.

My dad turns 56 years old this Christmas Eve. He accepted GM's early-out offer at the desperate urging of my mother, my sisters and me, while his GM colleagues wait to learn whether they will have a job in January. He's worried about his retirement account, his GM stock (what's left of it) -- the investment he made in a company he believed in and was proud of. I didn't realize how long we've been a "GM family" until my dad asked me to help prepare his good-bye e-mail.

Yes, my dad IS GM, and proudly so. Senior-management and GM officers have made some poor decisions within the company. But my dad didn't. He has stood by GM since his first days on the assembly line.

I am writing this because latest polls show maybe half of all Americans care about the condition of our automotive industry. The Big Three were powered by people like my dad, not just reckless executives. We CAN fix this with better leadership and new cash to fuel better cars and make serious changes for the future. To my dad, GM is America. Both gave him opportunities.

Now it's time for us to give GM an opportunity.

As a daughter of a GM family, now more than ever, I'd like the opportunity to buy a GM car -- a hybrid, of course -- and I'll be proud to do so.

ELISABETH CHAU HUYNH, 33, grew up in Madison Heights and Sterling Heights. A graduate of Michigan State University, she works at a film studio in Los Angeles.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
great story
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Bitchin.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
ddennis

Drives: 1978 Z28, 2003 & 2007 Z71,
Finally she got it, now everybody else needs to understand the need to buy American.
ddennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Exactly how I feel. My dad's been at GM since 1974, and works his butt off everyday to keep GM on the cutting edge of technology and value. I could never imagine buying anything other than GM. I don't really see the need to
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
That..... Is a great story!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Excellent letter. If GM's PR department were smart they'd be launching a campaign targeting the American public with all sorts of letters, ads, and entreaties just like this one, from the families of the workers.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That couldn't have been better.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
Excellent letter. If GM's PR department were smart they'd be launching a campaign targeting the American public with all sorts of letters, ads, and entreaties just like this one, from the families of the workers.
Actually they did start asking employees to begin writing letters to various media outlets for support. I have the email that also provided contact information for media and a few main points that could be included with a personal story of you have one. This was sent via GM Canada, and I have not seen a similar one from the US yet, but I am sure it will come. If there are any GM employees that are interested in this information let me know.

But I agree this is a nice way to show support and it only takes a few minutes.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Excellent...thank you for sharing that with us. It's hard to believe that GM and the others have not done any marketing recently. Of course I'm sure Congress would figure out a way to use it against them.

My grandparents were GM, my parents grew up as a GM family, mine is a GM family, I married into a GM family, and I'm raising GM kids.

Any American who doesn't at least look at an American manufacturer needs to have the Black Suburbans sent after them!!

josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote