Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
toyotajeep

Drives: Camaro SS
Car storage and battery/windows?

I have been searching around and not getting a clear answer. The car is going to be stored away from power for about three or four months most likely. I highly doubt the battery will hold that long.

I get that I can hook up a string to the trunk release once I get inside. Or jump from under the hood if I left the battery in the car.

My question is if I remove the battery can I get in the inside with a key? The windows are going to be up correct and what will cause them to drop?

The rest of the storage thing I am comfortable with.

Thank you for your patience with my rookie question.
toyotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #2
Maddie

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotajeep View Post
I have been searching around and not getting a clear answer. The car is going to be stored away from power for about three or four months most likely. I highly doubt the battery will hold that long.

I get that I can hook up a string to the trunk release once I get inside. Or jump from under the hood if I left the battery in the car.

My question is if I remove the battery can I get in the inside with a key? The windows are going to be up correct and what will cause them to drop?

The rest of the storage thing I am comfortable with.

Thank you for your patience with my rookie question.
Hello toyotajeep. Good questions, I have been wondering the same things myself as our cars will be stored all winter too.

What about a trickle charger?
Maddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:43 PM   #3
toyotajeep

Drives: Camaro SS
I'd love to but I am storing it where I have no electricity.
toyotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
Maddie

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotajeep View Post
I'd love to but I am storing it where I have no electricity.
Oh, I see.
Maddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
The driver side door has a manual key to unlock the doors. I would pull the battery and ensure the positive cable end 100% can’t touch anything, to the extent of wrapping in electrical tape or sticking the end in a piece of plastic pipe. You should be able to get under the hood to access the jumper post and get power enough to open the trunk. Then reinstall battery to start.

Of course I would also check to make sure this all works before closing the trunk.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
If the battery is good I bet it will last that time. I’ve had mine sit 3+ months with no tender and the car fired right up.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:36 PM   #7
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I've been storing my car the same way for 10 years. Clean oil..fuel stabilizer. That it. It's in my garage hook up to nothing. Original battery. Don't over think it.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #8
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I did a search and from what I read the key still works but you have to give it some 'oomph' and push in the window a bit since it won't lower at all. One said to look in the manual but I couldn't find anything in my 2011 manual - after your question I decided to look myself since batteries can die & it's an interesting question.

Later I may disconnect the battery and give that it a try to test it out.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:56 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I would just leave it alone and plan on jump starting at the end of storage, in case the battery drains down.

That would require leaving the hood unlocked and up against the second stop. Maybe that's not an option if you're storing outdoors.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:23 AM   #10
13hotwheels

Drives: 2010 Hennessey HPE550 #19
Assuming with no electricity its also cold. IF the battery drains over its hibernation, a dead battery and cold (aka freezing) is not at all good for the battery. IMHO best bet is to take the battery out, bring it home with you, put it on a trickle charger and leave it be till Spring.
2010 Hennessey HPE550 #19
13hotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #11
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I have been storing my car for 5-6 months every year during the winter in a non-heated garage. I pull it in and park it, cover it and walk away. I never check the gas or charge anything or put anything in the gas tank. I have never had an issue. Starts right up in the spring.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #12
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
As far as the windows go, they don't have to drop in order to open. GM does the drop to help keep the window from dragging on the seal, but it won't prevent opening or closing.

I'd take the battery out and take it home and trickle charge it so it won't sulphate. I'd then put a rag over the truck latch to keep from closing the truck fully and cover the car. If there is a rodent problem, you might want to think of a different way.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #13
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I get what people are saying but there has to be a way to get in the car when there is no battery installed & the vehicle all locked up. It can't be "nope - you're screwed".

Granted I also thought about keeping the trunk or hood cracked, but still, it makes no sense.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:48 PM   #14
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
I get what people are saying but there has to be a way to get in the car when there is no battery installed & the vehicle all locked up. It can't be "nope - you're screwed".

Granted I also thought about keeping the trunk or hood cracked, but still, it makes no sense.
Yes, unlock the drivers door and drop the back seat, then crawl in the trunk and pull the manual release.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote