Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-29-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Oil analysis

Wondering if anyone has ever tried this or just a waste of time but I have a pretty powerful microscope that is backlit for liquids. Has anyone ever took a look at the oil themselves under a microscope and checked for particles while doing an oil change? Or just leave it to the professionals? I was cleaning out a storage area and forgot I had it and just wondered? Anyone have any experience with this?
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Unless you know what you're looking for, it's going to be a no for you looking at it yourself.

They don't use microscopes to "look" at it but rather use lasers and other sensors to detect what is in the oil to give you an overview of whats inside it.

People have been using it for decades and a few here on the board have. Some will tell you that you should be getting it done and other, like myself, will say it's not really something you should do.

Unless you're super worried something is wrong then I wouldn't do it. These cars have only had issues with the oil pump failing. 0 have failed from the oil itself. That's coming from a stock engine perspective.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:24 PM   #3
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Unless you know what you're looking for, it's going to be a no for you looking at it yourself.

They don't use microscopes to "look" at it but rather use lasers and other sensors to detect what is in the oil to give you an overview of whats inside it.

People have been using it for decades and a few here on the board have. Some will tell you that you should be getting it done and other, like myself, will say it's not really something you should do.

Unless you're super worried something is wrong then I wouldn't do it. These cars have only had issues with the oil pump failing. 0 have failed from the oil itself. That's coming from a stock engine perspective.
Yes absolutely no issues was just wondering.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:40 PM   #4
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

If you can see it visually in the oil, you are already screwed.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Take a look - tell us what you see...
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:22 AM   #6
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
I use Blackstone Labs at every oil change. I've been doing this for the last 4 years. It gives you some great insight into how your engine is wearing, how your oil is holding up, etc.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 07:27 AM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I just recently did a Blackstone report on my C5 Z06 track vehicle since I run that car pretty hard with oil temps above 280 degrees. All was good and they mentioned I could probably stretch out my oil changes a bit. Cool info to know for $45. I'll probably do it once a year on the Z06 and maybe every few years on the Z/28.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:12 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
If you can see it visually in the oil, you are already screwed.
he wanted to use a microscope. I'm not sure what the value would be as you might see particles. Oil filters will (or should) remove anything over 40 microns. I use microscopes all day and I assure you you can easily see stuff in the 5 micron range with a decent scope. A red blood cell, for example, is about 7 microns in diameter. But looking at oil you will have no way to gauge the size of any particle, unless you also happen to have an ocular micrometer (unlikely).

I am surrounded by good quality microscopes. The one variant I have found useful for cars, and electromechanical work in general, is the dissecting scope. That has magnification up to 50x and typically includes a light source above and below the stage, so light either shines down onto the specimen, or shines through it. This is switchable. These are great for looking at small parts for cracks, etc. Worth picking up if you ever see one at a thrift shop, yard sale, etc.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:10 PM   #9
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
he wanted to use a microscope. I'm not sure what the value would be as you might see particles. Oil filters will (or should) remove anything over 40 microns. I use microscopes all day and I assure you you can easily see stuff in the 5 micron range with a decent scope. A red blood cell, for example, is about 7 microns in diameter. But looking at oil you will have no way to gauge the size of any particle, unless you also happen to have an ocular micrometer (unlikely).

I am surrounded by good quality microscopes. The one variant I have found useful for cars, and electromechanical work in general, is the dissecting scope. That has magnification up to 50x and typically includes a light source above and below the stage, so light either shines down onto the specimen, or shines through it. This is switchable. These are great for looking at small parts for cracks, etc. Worth picking up if you ever see one at a thrift shop, yard sale, etc.
Thanks, I was curious more than anything. I do have a 50x plus several other settings and has bottom and top lights built in. We were playing around with it with my kids and was amazed at we could see with common things around the house so I thought on the next oil change I should take a sample and see if I can see anything. I’ll probably do it just for fun but was also wondering if anyone else has tried.
Old 12-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #10
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I just recently did a Blackstone report on my C5 Z06 track vehicle since I run that car pretty hard with oil temps above 280 degrees. All was good and they mentioned I could probably stretch out my oil changes a bit. Cool info to know for $45. I'll probably do it once a year on the Z06 and maybe every few years on the Z/28.
Cool thanks I’m going to try them out. I still have my 03 Z06 and probably will never sell it. I absolutely love that car.