Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Amount of Catch Can Liquid?

Comparison of 500 miles of street driving (right) and 500 miles round trip to local track (53 miles on track) and back (left).

Seems excessive?

But the Mighty Mouse system seems to be working as advertised...car runs very well, no complaints.

Even mileage is consistent with no noticeable oil consumption.

LT1 with LT4 blower at 10 psi for 11,000 miles of 30,000 miles covered.

The power and exhaust note are great fun!

Last edited by Tim M; 08-08-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #2
ZachU

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Wow! I'm taking mine to a road track on Saturday and will drain my can before. I'll post up after the track day and see how much I get.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
I usually fill a can each time I’m at the track, if not two depending on how hard I get on it and how many sessions.
Really impressed with the MM can! I have their wild setup and just picked up their recirculate kit.
Was working with them last week to come up with a better solution for when it vents pressure so it doesn’t empty into the engine bay (it’s happened twice before), and going to try to have it vent into my secondary catch can (repurposed Mishimoto can on the clean side oil/air separator).

ZachU I’d be checking after each session just to be safe. I was 30 mins in (halfway into the second session) at Road America, and not paying attention to the catch can really. Came in because I was having some issues with crap pads I was using up front, going to bleed the system and put some new fluid in only to notice I had a mess in my engine bay
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
ZachU

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronSlusa View Post
I usually fill a can each time I’m at the track, if not two depending on how hard I get on it and how many sessions.
Really impressed with the MM can! I have their wild setup and just picked up their recirculate kit.
Was working with them last week to come up with a better solution for when it vents pressure so it doesn’t empty into the engine bay (it’s happened twice before), and going to try to have it vent into my secondary catch can (repurposed Mishimoto can on the clean side oil/air separator).

ZachU I’d be checking after each session just to be safe. I was 30 mins in (halfway into the second session) at Road America, and not paying attention to the catch can really. Came in because I was having some issues with crap pads I was using up front, going to bleed the system and put some new fluid in only to notice I had a mess in my engine bay
I appreciate this wisdom. I just got the recirculating top for my MM wild can and will be installing it this week. This will be the first time car has seen a track with or without boost. I still need to change my brake fluid and pads before Saturday and it's hot as hell here in Texas.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have an elite one on my car i just added in the last month or so how often are you suppose to check them? lol
Old 08-23-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Good information gents.

kcrops: The MM can has a sight glass on the side of the can so a bit easier to check. Nonetheless, based on my example...it seems to completely depend on usage and health of the engine.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
aronSlusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachU View Post
I appreciate this wisdom. I just got the recirculating top for my MM wild can and will be installing it this week. This will be the first time car has seen a track with or without boost. I still need to change my brake fluid and pads before Saturday and it's hot as hell here in Texas.
How are you setting up your recirculating top if you don't mind my asking? Curious how my design stacks up
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have an elite one on my car i just added in the last month or so how often are you suppose to check them? lol
Going to be completely dependent on usage. Normal street driving I'm checking every third or fourth fuel fill up or so, usually equates to once every other month. There's always some in there it seems.
On the track (road circuit track, not strip), I'm checking every other session and draining.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

and weird question but what do you drain it into? lol most people i see just use a waterbottle but is there a better way?
Old 08-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
aronSlusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
and weird question but what do you drain it into? lol most people i see just use a waterbottle but is there a better way?
Probably the most effective way is a can / water bottle IMO.
It takes just a couple minutes of time to unbolt and drain and bolt back in. Can't see there being a more effective way of doing something so simple. Let it cool a little bit, CC is going to be hot then just put it all back together.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

got it thanks!
Old 08-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #11
ZachU

[QUOTE=aronSlusa;11059268]How are you setting up your recirculating top if you don't mind my asking? Curious how my design stacks up

Once I get the normal top off the can I was planning on running to the Procharger filter. I need to drain mine and see how much is there as I've had it on since early July. The sight glass is dry from the way it looks so I haven't tried to drain it yet. I will this week when I install the new pads and other stuff necessary as per the track's inspection form.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #12
aronSlusa

[QUOTE=ZachU;11059332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronSlusa View Post
How are you setting up your recirculating top if you don't mind my asking? Curious how my design stacks up

Once I get the normal top off the can I was planning on running to the Procharger filter. I need to drain mine and see how much is there as I've had it on since early July. The sight glass is dry from the way it looks so I haven't tried to drain it yet. I will this week when I install the new pads and other stuff necessary as per the track's inspection form.
Maybe it’s just me as it’s happened before where it ventilates… and if you’re out there mightymouse and watching chime in…. But in the event of it venting it’s going to push any stored oil into the procharger head unit almost directly. You’re ok with that/ that’s ok to enter into the procharger air to air exchanger?
I guess I’m just trying to keep as much clean air going in as possible… maybe I’m overkill
Old 08-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #13
ZachU

[QUOTE=aronSlusa;11059389]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachU View Post
Maybe it’s just me as it’s happened before where it ventilates… and if you’re out there mightymouse and watching chime in…. But in the event of it venting it’s going to push any stored oil into the procharger head unit almost directly. You’re ok with that/ that’s ok to enter into the procharger air to air exchanger?
I guess I’m just trying to keep as much clean air going in as possible… maybe I’m overkill
I wondered about that but hoped that the can would keep the oil in the bottom....however now that you mention it that's a good point. I'm definitely not ok with oil entering the Procharger inlet. What is your solution for this?
Old 08-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #14
aronSlusa

I have a y-section of piping from Dorman that I'm going to install in the yellow area.
Check valve in place so the pressurized air from the MM goes into the Mishimoto and back out to the ProCharger intake, and doesn't push back into the stock oil/air separator.
Won't know if / how well it works until October-ish.