Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
Hellamass

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
Fortune Auto Coilovers on 2018 ZL! 1LE

So after moving to MS and nearly breaking my back on these rough roads I decide to try installing adjustable coilovers. I selected Fortune Auto 510's with 8k spring for the front and 16K springs for the rear as my set up as I do track my car about 3-5 times a year at Road Atlanta, Barber AMP and CMP.
The install was pretty straight forward for the front coilovers even for a guy whom has never done this type of work before with only basic mechanic tools. The Fortune Auto instructions were all on line but were very generic in it's write up. And what I mean is that the instructions were not specifically for a Camaro install. So.... I watched several you tube vids to guide me through it. Set the front collar between 55MM to 60MM to get you an OE ride height.
The install for the rear divorced spring was not all that easy and it was for two main reasons.
1. There is a parking break cable that is directly in front of a bolt on the lower control arm that you cannot get out with our either damaging the cable as you back out the nut or trying to figure out how to remove the break cable. Of course I could not figure it out so I ended up damaging the cable (see cable with tape on it pic). Luckily it still works. When I reassembled it I ended up reversing the bolt position so that the nut is facing the cable instead of the bolt head. A much better position. Hopefully this doesn't cause any future issues.... I later figured out that you have to remove the caliper and rotor to remove this cable.
2. Fortune Auto spring and perch set up did not fit properly for Camaro set up as you can clearly see a 1/4" gap on the outer side between the spring and perch but not the inner side. Turns out the top and bottom rear perches are not directly in line with one another and in fact are about 8 degrees off. You can see the difference when you put the FA spring and perch next to the OE spring and perch. The FA set up is perfectly straight and the OE is tilted. This cost me about 3 days of frustration so I ended up using the OE spring and perch and the FA shock in the rear. Its not what I was hoping for but FA did tell me they would refund me for the unused parts so good on them for that part. Rear spring perch was set to 28mm. Update: I see that others have gone with Swift springs in the rear and seem to be a better fit for the rear so do try that when ordering your springs.
Now if anyone found a solution to this rear spring and perch issue please let me know. I'd love to be able to use and adjustable ride height rear end.
So far I've driven my car for two track days and 3 months on the street with 14 clicks in the front and 9 clicks in the rear clicks from soft and I can tell you that the ride is much smoother than the OE DSSV set up on the street but still very aggressive on the track. Still very sporty but not the back injuring hit I would take from crossing over an expansion joint on the OE set up. The set up is very quiet with no binding sounds that the DSSV's produced.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  120.1 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  165.3 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  147.4 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  116.6 KB

Last edited by Hellamass; 07-19-2023 at 09:40 AM.
Hellamass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
1 didnt know they ever released those yet

2 this is why i went with vorshlag in texas and a full rear coilover conversion in the rear of my camaro
Old 12-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I've been waiting for someone to try the Fortune coilovers on the ZLE! Please give us your detailed analysis on and off track!
Old 12-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
id go with mcs before i went fortune but eh i dont have a zl1 1le lol somebody did bc and i laughed at them and air ride
Old 12-09-2022, 01:58 AM   #5
SebV19

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
I've been waiting for someone to try the Fortune coilovers on the ZLE! Please give us your detailed analysis on and off track!
If you're looking to swap out the DSSV's, just go with MCS/Vorshlag. The 510s probably ride nicer on a street car but, I hate to be that guy, you're paying to make the car slower. GM/Multimatic spent literal millions putting together the suspension packages for these cars, you have to try really hard to beat it. Most aftermarket stuff will just be a downgrade, especially if it's not even a rear coil over conversion.

I have Vorshlag's 2-way w/ remotes. Car drives awesome, was easy to dial in, even going from Sebring to Road Atl, PittRace, etc.

Last edited by SebV19; 12-10-2022 at 02:11 AM.
SebV19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
Would have been better to sell the car and buy a less expensive ZL1 and fake the look.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:22 PM   #7
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
apologies for digging an old thread up…

OP, thanks for pointing me to this thread from facebook.

any of you other guys done a swap and liked/disliked it?

trying to decide on $1200-$1800 DSSV replacements that don’t last 20k miles, or redoing the whole system.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote