Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 08-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
Calcanuck

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Front Caliper Rebuild Question

For those of you who have rebuilt your front 6 piston Brembo calipers, what did you use to block of the brake line so it would not leak while the caliper was off?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
The jounce hose isn't easy to block off unless you get something inflatable that can go in the hole where the banjo bolt usually goes or drill/tap a hole into an aluminum block and bolt the whole assembly to it instead of the caliper.

If you take the jounce hose off where it meets the hard line, you can either plug the hard line with a stopper or put a flexible hose on the line and run the hose up so the open end is above the fluid reservoir.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
I just make sure the reservoir is full, put a rubber glove over the end of the jounce hose, and make short time of it.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Calcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
The jounce hose isn't easy to block off unless you get something inflatable that can go in the hole where the banjo bolt usually goes or drill/tap a hole into an aluminum block and bolt the whole assembly to it instead of the caliper.

If you take the jounce hose off where it meets the hard line, you can either plug the hard line with a stopper or put a flexible hose on the line and run the hose up so the open end is above the fluid reservoir.
Thanks for the ideas!
Old 08-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
I've used these before. They helped, but didn't seal completely.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...888/21260013-P

On my BMWs, I learned that if I open a bleeder, press the pedal to the floor and block it with a broomstick or other suitable precision instrument, I got zero leakage. Haven't tried it on the ZL1 yet.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
Calcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcanuck View Post
Thanks for the ideas!
For those rebuilding your Calipers and want to stop the brake fluid from leaking out of the brake lines. I followed the suggestion of disconnecting the flex hose from the brake line and using these to block the brake line. They work great with not leaks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #7
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Reviving an old thread instead of making a new one:

It looks like I can get the ZL1 1LE front caliper pistons, seals, and dust covers for $322 shipped from Rock Auto.

The kit from Racing Brakes.com will be $622 shipped with the high temp dust cover upgrade.

Is there a $300 benefit to the Racing Brake Kit, like they will last 2X longer?

I have a piston dragging in one of my calipers and all of the dust boots have disintegrated.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #8
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
If you're comparing the RB vented pistons to the GM ones, probably not much difference other than $$. I used the GM vented piston kit with RB high temp boots. The RB boots have not melted even with Hawk pads so there's that.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:38 PM   #9
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcanuck View Post
For those rebuilding your Calipers and want to stop the brake fluid from leaking out of the brake lines. I followed the suggestion of disconnecting the flex hose from the brake line and using these to block the brake line. They work great with not leaks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You could spend the money on this, I take a piece of tire intertube wrap it around the brake line fitting and use a high tension spring clamp the rubber in place. No leaks no mess and you can leave it like that as long as you needed.

Last edited by dpevans; 01-14-2023 at 01:51 PM.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote