Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-22-2022, 12:12 AM   #29
Fiyero88

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT
As far as boot times it's instant. This particular unit sleeps instead of shutting down. You can set the sleep from a couple hours after the car shuts down to several days. It uses a miniscule amount of the cars battery to sleep. So when you turn the car on there is no booting it just is on. I tried a three day sleep and for three days it was instant. If you don't use the car after three days the headunit will shut off until the car is turned on.
Fiyero88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:55 PM   #30
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Been distracted lately but wanted to follow up on a few items. Not knocking what you've done here, just continuing the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero88 View Post
As far as boot times it's instant. This particular unit sleeps instead of shutting down. You can set the sleep from a couple hours after the car shuts down to several days. It uses a miniscule amount of the cars battery to sleep. So when you turn the car on there is no booting it just is on. I tried a three day sleep and for three days it was instant. If you don't use the car after three days the headunit will shut off until the car is turned on.
The boot time is not from a sleep state but from an off state. Since you leave it in a sleep state that means the boot time is long enough to sacrifice battery drain. Given the hassle of getting into the these cars with a dead battery, the draw when asleep may be a real concern for those that don't drive their cars frequently and have already weak batteries. Since I daily drive mine, it wouldn't be an issue to take advantage of a sleep mode. 3 days is a reasonable amount of time for off, I assume it's adjustable.

Quote:
They're not cheap anymore it cost $600.I also researched the components and they are pretty good. Especially the processor. I also have a android radio on my 2003 Pt Cruiser that runs as good as the day I bought it(5 years ago) I'm not sure why people assume all of them are cheap. This actual unit was over $600 if you Google TS10 you can see some of the new headunits coming out of China. They have 360 degree camera systems in their MCU's also this particular one for the Camaro has two built in microphones, built is DSP and Amp ect. I agree I've seen people have headaches with units but if you Google this forum, you'll see that Chevrolet LG headunits in the camaro also have headaches and failure rates. It's just part of the electronic universe. This unit seems to get regular updates to both the software and hardware(MCU) this newest update added even more features such as mic gain controls, Optical TOSLINK connection(there is a optical port in the back as well as added a few new features to the Camaros canbus such as automatic front window defrost as well as rear window defrost. I'm hoping a newer update will allow HVAC controls from the screen we will see.
$600 is cheap for this amount of tech. My PXA-H800 DSP only was $1k. While it is more than the $300-$400 android head units available for some cars, it's much less than similar offerings by Alpine. I'm not surprised they stopped putting in the effort on their Restyle products given the massive price difference from the stuff coming out of China.

The comparable version by Alpine was $2500 and had fewer features than yours: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3f2HPC...le-System.html

A "stinger" branded product with even fewer features is $1400
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Sw3lv9...p-Package.html

I love the tech and features this HU offers. And I appreciate you sharing the photos and videos. It looks great.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 12:28 PM   #31
ThirdGenNut

Drives: 2020 LT1
Still waiting for mine to ship...
ThirdGenNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 04:51 PM   #32
Fiyero88

Just installed a custom Chevy boot animation to the 10" unit. I like how it loads now!
https://youtu.be/MvbiwIEA2AY
Old 01-05-2023, 06:12 AM   #33
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
Looks really great.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:41 AM   #34
jacekpuzio

Drives: Camaro 2.0T 2020
It looks that those Android units are not compatible with 2020+ Camaro, because of redesigned GM harness. Does anyone know how to bypass it? what adapter do I need to connect the aftermarket unit?

jacekpuzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 01:00 AM   #35
Fiyero88

The android radio has a very simple wiring schematic so of you could get the wiring schematic for the 2020 it's very easy. There's a ground wire, power wire, ignition wire, and your speaker wires and a parking/break wire. I imagine it's not compatible simply because they changed the wires around on the newer harness and you'd have to unchage them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacekpuzio View Post
It looks that those Android units are not compatible with 2020+ Camaro, because of redesigned GM harness. Does anyone know how to bypass it? what adapter do I need to connect the aftermarket unit?

Old 09-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #36
jacekpuzio

Quote:
The android radio has a very simple wiring schematic so of you could get the wiring schematic for the 2020 it's very easy. There's a ground wire, power wire, ignition wire, and your speaker wires and a parking/break wire. I imagine it's not compatible simply because they changed the wires around on the newer harness and you'd have to unchage them.
What about the CAN line that allows you to change the car settings? In the OEM radio there are 2 plugs, I bet that one is for the CAN communication. The Android unit allows to change those settings, so reverse engineering / converting that plug will be more difficult (if possible at all).
Old 10-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #37
ThirdGenNut

Quote:

I finally got mine and hooked every thing up. those plugs in the pic connect under the dash. even so i never figured out where the wires in the dash connect to the radio.

anyway i couldnt get the head unit to turn on.

after connecting every thing i could on the new radio and even disconnecting all 3 plugs under the dash the CAR still kept playing from the usb in the armrest.

any ideas what im doing wrong?
Old 10-27-2023, 10:21 AM   #38
ThirdGenNut

its still playing USB thru all the speakers!
heres every thing i could find disconnected with the replacement next to the dash and only plugged in to the foot well.

edit: dunno why its upside down

ok after a little more digging that black plastic box isnt the radio.... its waaay up in there.

Last edited by ThirdGenNut; 10-27-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:50 PM   #39
jacekpuzio

If you figure it out please make photos which plug goes where and if you modify the pinout please also note what to change. That would be extremely helpful. Good luck
I decided to return my unit to China eventually, since I wasn't able to power the radio unit on. Their engineers told me that they had to modify the harness to support 2020+. But after that I haven't managed to get any photos from them with the correct harness.

Last edited by jacekpuzio; 11-01-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:38 PM   #40
ThirdGenNut

Quote:
If you figure it out please make photos which plug goes where and if you modify the pinout please also note what to change. That would be extremely helpful. Good luck
I decided to return my unit to China eventually, since I wasn't able to power the radio unit on. They engineers told me that they had to modify the harness to support 2020+. But after that I haven't managed to get any photos from then with the correct harness.
Packing mine up as well. What a waste of time.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:49 PM   #41
balls04fe3

Drives: Chevy Camaro
What brand is it? I'm finding a couple brands online. Dont want to get scammed
balls04fe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:52 AM   #42
jacekpuzio

It doesn't really matter. You can find the same hardware branded differently. Mine was ZWNAV

Tags
10inch, android, headunit, upgrade