Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions


Emblempros


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #57
hotlap


 
hotlap's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 Hot Wheels 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
We didn't know about it....GM knew about it though. According to Martin the ZR-1 was always part of the C-7 plan so they knew internally
...and when the LT5 came out, we didn't know about a 900 - 1000 HP engine, but GM knows.

Point is that when the LT4 came out, some viewed it as the last V8 GM would have and Camaro wouldn't get it because it was for the C7 only. There wouldn't be a ZR1... because ...why would there be? The Z06 and ZR1 were combined.

Now, the same is being said about the LT5 but, apparently, there is a far more powerful engine being tested now.
__________________
Production Number 1755
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #58
hotlap


 
hotlap's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 Hot Wheels 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Did the ZL1 get the LS9 because the LT4 was coming?
When Corvette moved to C7, the LS7 was left behind for the gen5 Z/28. That, IMO, was a turning point for Camaro

When the ZL1 got the LSA in 2012, the ZR1 lived on for model year 2012 and 2013. ...and there was a LSA.

Like it or not. GM has let Camaro be all it can be. The gen6 Camaro has been nothing short of impressive.

Will Camaro get the LT5? I do know that if Chevy wants to continue in this segment the bar has been raised by the Redeye and GT500 and Chevy performance is developing more powerful engines. 900-1000 HP?
__________________
Production Number 1755

Last edited by hotlap; 03-13-2019 at 10:53 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #59
shaffe


 
Drives: 2018 Mazda6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carol Stream
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
...and when the LT5 came out, we didn't know about a 900 - 1000 HP engine, but GM knows.

Point is that when the LT4 came out, some viewed it as the last V8 GM would have and Camaro wouldn't get it because it was for the C7 only. There wouldn't be a ZR1... because ...why would there be? The Z06 and ZR1 were combined.

Now, the same is being said about the LT5 but, apparently, there is a far more powerful engine being tested now.
True but that to me reinforces to me at least, that they still keep some things just for the Corvette. Basically a we can put the LT4 in the Camaro and CTS-V because we know we have an LT5 Corvette up our sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
When Corvette moved to C7, the LS7 was left behind for the gen5 Z/28. That, IMO, was a turning point for Camaro

When the ZL1 got the LSA in 2012, the ZR1 lived on for model year 2012 and 2013. ...and there was a LSA.

Like it or not. GM has let Camaro be all it can be. The gen6 Camaro has been nothing short of impressive.

Will Camaro get the LT5? I do know that if Chevy wants to continue in this segment the bar has been raised by the Redeye and GT500 and Chevy performance is developing more powerful engines. 900-1000 HP?
I'll respectfully disagree, and we may just have to agree to disagree. Yes they have gone pretty much all out with the Camaro(A10 in ZLE, didnt see that one coming!) but regardless of what anyone says and like it or not Corvette is still king of the hill at GM performance.

LS7 didn't go to Camaro until Corvette was done with it. IF The Camaro gets the LT5 (which I doubt) I don't see that happening until the ZR-1 is gone. The ZR-1 engine has only ever gone in a Corvette, and I predict the LT5 will be the swan song for the C7 and stay exclusive to that.

IMO if they really said screw it no holds barred with the Camaro then IMO the LT5 should be available in the Camaro at the same time as the Corvette.

If they had nothing sitting there they could use I would get it 100% but when they have something they can use, and they don't that to me sends teh message that they still view Corvette as higher is all I am saying
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lets keep it simple. ..
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 03-13-2019 at 11:55 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #60
mlee
---> CamaroFans.com
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 34,487
Funny this conversation is still going on.

Corvette was treated as top dog back in the day, but since the 5th Gen return they've used the same engines in both cars and nothing has held back Camaro performance except pricing and weight. The only engine that hasn't made it to the Camaro is LS9 and Vette didn't get the LSA. No reason Camaro can't / won't get the LT5 based on the recent history. But who knows.
__________________
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #61
shaffe


 
Drives: 2018 Mazda6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carol Stream
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Funny this conversation is still going on.

Corvette was treated as top dog back in the day, but since the 5th Gen return they've used the same engines in both cars and nothing has held back Camaro performance except pricing and weight. The only engine that hasn't made it to the Camaro is LS9 and Vette didn't get the LSA. No reason Camaro can't / won't get the LT5 based on the recent history. But who knows.
Only time will tell indeed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lets keep it simple. ..
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #62
396ssrat

 
Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 913
Camaro is getting the LT5. They have to compete with Ford and Dodge which both have well north of 700 and even more horsepower. No brainer,
__________________
66 Chevelle SS n/a 565 inch
Tony Mamo ported afr 300's
testing in progress
5.974 1/8th mile
115.35 mph 1.306 60'
3.841 330'
396ssrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #63
NW-99SS
 
Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Camaro is getting the LT5. They have to compete with Ford and Dodge which both have well north of 700 and even more horsepower. No brainer,
I sure hope so, and completely agree. It's the HP wars, and Camaro has been behind for years - first in 2013 with the Trinity GT500s, then the HC, and now the new GT500 will be at least 75 if not 100+ more HP than the ZL1.

Pull the gloves off already GM, give us the LT5 in the Camaro so I can buy one
__________________
1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
1963 Corvette GrandSport - ZZ502 4M
2017 Denali 1500 6.2

Last edited by NW-99SS; 05-01-2019 at 08:13 AM.
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #64
Squatch
Camaro pilot
 
Squatch's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Medford OR
Posts: 252
I have been holding out, just incase the LT5 makes it ...just give us the LT5 already! (I highly doubt it makes it though)
__________________
2014 ZL1 Camaro
1969 Camaro
Squatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #65
shaffe


 
Drives: 2018 Mazda6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carol Stream
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Camaro is getting the LT5. They have to compete with Ford and Dodge which both have well north of 700 and even more horsepower. No brainer,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I sure hope so, and completely agree. It's the HP wars, and Camaro has been behind for years - first in 2013 with the Trinity GT500s, then the HC, and now the new GT500 will be at least 75 if not 100+ more HP than the ZL1.

Pull the gloves off already GM, give us the LT5 in the Camaro so I can buy one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
I have been holding out, just incase the LT5 makes it ...just give us the LT5 already! (I highly doubt it makes it though)
While I think it would be awesome to see an LT5 Camaro I still don't think it will happen.

ZR1 Engine has in the past always remained exclusive to Corvette.

LS9 never made it into the Camaro when the HC and trinity came out.

GM has sat there and watched hellcat at 707, Hell cat move up to 717, RE go up to 797, Demon with 808 and upcoming GT500 with 700+ and so far nothing.

+ the fact they made such a big deal about heritage and how a track car should be NA blah blah blah the LT5 doesn't make sense for the Z/28.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lets keep it simple. ..
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #66
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,123
Unfortunately, I ,respectfully, believe that GM's just not in touch with what customers want. Look how sales have slid the last few years. Camaro is on the bottom, and trucks have not been as well-received either. Numbers help sell cars, but I don't know that the numbers GM perceives as important actually reflect those that customers do.

Hellcat-cars are all known for their power. How are you going to come to a race with a 50-horsepower deficit? Yes - weight-to-power makes up for most of that, but the public doesn't know, and necessarily care. If you want to compete, you have to be competitive in your segment, and not enough people care about lap times - they want strip times and benchracing bragging rights (i.e. the highest horsepower numbers). You can say that people track their cars, but do you think people track their cars more than people run their cars down the strip? I think it's easier for people to run down the strip because it's just easier. Who doesn't like heating the tires up in the box just before running down the strip for several seconds at WOT?

Then there's the Mustang and 700-plus horsepower. Here again - Camaro's more than 50-horse behind. Sure - maybe 1LE will hang around a course, but I think the majority of people want the raw power. That feeling of being pinned into the seat. People are also going to see a competition between Hellcats and the Cobra just from horsepower and see Camaro's behind significantly, and just forget it's even there.

I remember reading that when GM was trying to rebuild the Cadillac brand about ten years ago, they wanted to be competitive with the Germans. One of the strategies to appear competitive, according to them, was to raise the price closer to the competition because they thought a higher price would make the customer perceive a better product. That doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm in the wrong. I know I don't just spend money on the more expensive product just because it costs more. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out of this example, but it's apparent actions like that that make me think GM management is just not in touch.

I could be completely off on all that. But - sales have slumped bad. Maybe Camaro's been priced out of the market. This is a great generation that has just not been well-received. I think it's a better car that Mustang and Challenger, but it's not resonating. Maybe it's price and maybe GM's just made a car for the magazines. Camaro needs some numbers though. Well all care about lap times, but more people can identify with strip times, and with horsepower numbers. Camaro needs LT5, IMO, and it needs it at a comparable price to the competition. Will it get it? I doubt it.

/ramblings
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #67
NW-99SS
 
Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
While I think it would be awesome to see an LT5 Camaro I still don't think it will happen.

ZR1 Engine has in the past always remained exclusive to Corvette.

LS9 never made it into the Camaro when the HC and trinity came out.

GM has sat there and watched hellcat at 707, Hell cat move up to 717, RE go up to 797, Demon with 808 and upcoming GT500 with 700+ and so far nothing.

+ the fact they made such a big deal about heritage and how a track car should be NA blah blah blah the LT5 doesn't make sense for the Z/28.
C6 ZR1 was a 4 year run car - completely different scenario than the 1 year only C7 ZR1 (maybe GM will keep the LT5 as a single year, single model only engine, who knows, but that would be a first for GM)

HC came out while Camaro was entering into the 6th gen. No LS motors where going into a 6th gen, so that rules the LS9 out again. Camaro gambled with a track star Z/28, and priced it out of range for any decent sales. I wonder if they have learned the lesson? Again, who knows?

Camaro doesn't need another track star, ZL1 1LE is already that, an LT5 Camaro can be more of a bruiser, keep the Mag ride like the ZR1, and be competitive with the Redeye and GT500. GM has to know that it's customers want to compete with the best of Ford and Dodge and win - and not have to mod a car to do so.

Because I would rather hope, than doubt, I will remain hopeful for an LT5 Camaro...I'm not saying it will happen, just that I hope it does as I will buy one.
__________________
1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
1963 Corvette GrandSport - ZZ502 4M
2017 Denali 1500 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #68
shaffe


 
Drives: 2018 Mazda6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carol Stream
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
). You can say that people track their cars, but do you think people track their cars more than people run their cars down the strip? I think it's easier for people to run down the strip because it's just easier.
Agreed 100%. It is also way more cost effective.

Around me I have 4 dragstrips in about an hour to hour and half away.

I have 1 road course option in the same vicinity. Just to get on the track is $350 for 3 hours, not to mention the wear and tear on the car.

At the dragstrip, I can get into GLD for $35 and make as many passes as I can squeeze in.

The majority of these owners aren't going to do either but if they were going to hit the track just once would most likely hit the strip just because of ease of access and cost
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lets keep it simple. ..
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #69
DevilsReject97
Nightmare
 
DevilsReject97's Avatar
 
Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Naptown
Posts: 2,141
They're not putting an LT5 in the 6th gen Camaro, you can pretty much forget about it. More to the point, the current LT4 can easily be boosted an extra 100HP with MINIMAL effort..

I mean, GM already did the testing for a Drag Pack on the standard ZL1 and had it run a 10 flat in the 1/4..... headers/pulley upgrade/tune/drag wheels...

They stopped at 10 flat because it didnt require a cage..
__________________
DevilsReject97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #70
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,123
Considering you can get a TVS2650 from Edelbrock for less than $6k (with CARB-numbers if that matters to you), I wouldn't argue against making an LT5. Still - you have LT4-limitations from fueling though that are partially alleviated, though, apparently, not by too much. And no factory warranty...
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.