Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Phastek Performance

Old 03-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
vaib

Drives: Red Camaro
NJ resident bought car from another state?

Who lives in NJ and purchased car from another state? I am buying one and had some questions on how things work. Ty
vaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Anybody have trouble getting an out of state car registered in NJ?
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
Lashu74
Lashu74

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I think it's pretty similar for most states I live in PA and just purchased one in Virginia. You pay whatever your states taxes are on the car to the dealer and then they send that to the state. Make sure they use the percentage they tried to overcharge me for mine. They did tell me that any overage would be returned to me but I have my doubts about that. Also you pay a fee to the dealer for tags and registration and then they submit it for you and you get the tags and registration in the mail. They give you a 30 day temporary tag and registration. Once you get your stuff in the mail you will have to take it in and get it inspected in Jersey. I just did my deal last weekend so I'm waiting for all my stuff and hoping its not gonna be a cluster #%*# and I have to make additional calls to get things resolved. Also if your gonna drive a distance to pick your car up make sure you face time with them to check out the exterior of the car. I drove 300 miles only to find the car was dirty inside and out and someone had wiped down the exterior with a dirty rag or with dirt still on it and it left visible scratches on in the clear...the dealer assured me there was not a scratch on the car but obviously that was not the case. I now have to have paint correction done on a brand new car. The dealer is gonna take care of the cost but still a pain in the ass I have to get an estimate it submit and hope they send me the payment promptly...if I hadn't driven 300 miles to get it I prolly would not have even taken it. Don't think I will do an out of state purchase again unless its fairly close.
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Nice to see someone did the same as me. I purchased mine in VA as a PA resident. My 30 day temp tags expire Christmas day so I'm starting to get worried for when my paperwork arrives. In the meantime, I have my local AAA working on it too. Well see who gets done first.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
Rider829

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS
I live on Long Island and was fed up with the local Dealers. Nothing but BS out of their mouths. Did a little research and found a dealership in NJ and took a chance, besides, they had the exact car I wanted. Called and told them I was coming, they put the car aside for me and when I arrived it was sitting in front of the dealership, washed and looking sweet. A few hours later, deal is done, and drove her home! This was in early November and they have truly lived up to their reputation; the salesman has called me multiple times to check in and they have gone out of their way to maintain the relationship that was started in November. The "entire" process went perfect!
Rider829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
JTChief82

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS/ 2015 Silverado
Bought mine in PA. The dealer was able to do everything right there, registration, plates,etc. Being they are a huge dealer that deals with NJ customers all the time they have the ability. Once I got my plates, all I had to do was fgo to inspection office, show them a card and new plates and they slapped on the new sticker. No need to go through inspection.

if I had to do everything myself I would have, just so I could get the car I wanted without having to wait for an order. But the fact that the dealer was able to take care of it was much easier.