Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
flaudia402

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
How much do you trust your service department?

So just picked up a brand new 1LE with less than 8 miles on the odometer this weekend. Drove 5.5 hours to pick it up. On the way home, about 100 miles into the drive noticed that >55 mph there is a rattle coming from the rear. It sounds like something within the deck lid. Have isolated the problem to this. I’ve searched on the forums here and it seems others have had similar issues. I’ve looked into what’s required to diagnose and fix the problem. Requires the rear seat to come out and several trim pieces to be removed.

With the car at only 500 miles, and less than three days old I’m pretty ambivalent to a tech crawling around in the back seat possibly scratching up the trim pieces and headliner in the process. I guess I’ve just had poor experiences in the past with service centers at dealerships.

What would you do? Suck it up and deal with it? Let the service center figure it out?
flaudia402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Put it in track mode and step on the gas. Rattle gone.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 AM   #3
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Rear deck rattle can be from multiple causes and has been reported on many Camaros. Some service departments figure it out and others you are better dealing with on your own.

Pull the seat and rear deck cover. Ensure all wires and attachment points are secure (verify tight bolts and tape down lose harness connections above and below deck). Check speakers for mount movement as well. When reinstalling the rear deck, make sure the child seat anchor covers are secure. You may wish to place friction tape between the deck cover and the side panels (especially the passenger side, which seems most common for panel chatter).
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
flaudia402

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Rear deck rattle can be from multiple causes and has been reported on many Camaros. Some service departments figure it out and others you are better dealing with on your own.

Pull the seat and rear deck cover. Ensure all wires and attachment points are secure (verify tight bolts and tape down lose harness connections above and below deck). Check speakers for mount movement as well. When reinstalling the rear deck, make sure the child seat anchor covers are secure. You may wish to place friction tape between the deck cover and the side panels (especially the passenger side, which seems most common for panel chatter).
Is there a step by step guide for doing this?

Does the bottom seat have to come out? How do I remove the back part of the seat? I know how to fold it, not sure how to remove it. I saw a YouTube video on removal on a 5th gen.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaudia402 View Post
So just picked up a brand new 1LE with less than 8 miles on the odometer this weekend. Drove 5.5 hours to pick it up. On the way home, about 100 miles into the drive noticed that >55 mph there is a rattle coming from the rear. It sounds like something within the deck lid. Have isolated the problem to this. I’ve searched on the forums here and it seems others have had similar issues. I’ve looked into what’s required to diagnose and fix the problem. Requires the rear seat to come out and several trim pieces to be removed.

With the car at only 500 miles, and less than three days old I’m pretty ambivalent to a tech crawling around in the back seat possibly scratching up the trim pieces and headliner in the process. I guess I’ve just had poor experiences in the past with service centers at dealerships.

What would you do? Suck it up and deal with it? Let the service center figure it out?

I had the same exact thing happen to me. It ended up being the flaps inside the NPP exhaust. I pulled the fuse 51, (valves open all the time) and the rattle went away. At first I thought it was coming from the truck area. but ended up being just that.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #6
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
I had the same exact thing happen to me. It ended up being the flaps inside the NPP exhaust. I pulled the fuse 51, (valves open all the time) and the rattle went away. At first I thought it was coming from the truck area. but ended up being just that.
Mine do that too but just for a few seconds. It's haspoerned about 3 times since I bought it.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
If I were you I’d trust the dealership to find and fix the problem. Your car is brand new and they will have to repair or replace anything they might damage. If you go ripping out the interior any of the things you are concerned about happening can still happen but it’s on you if you scratch or break anything in the process. Just do a very thourogh walk around of the car, with the service rep, inside and outside before and after they work on it. Any time I’ve had mine worked on I’ll pick it up from the service bay, pull to a quiet spot on their lot and take my time looking it over to make sure there are no issues before leaving the dealership.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Obviously your not taking it back to the Dealer 5.5 hours away.

I would take it to local GM Shop and I'm sure they would like to earn your business.

Its covered under warranty.

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
The service department at the dealership I take mine to is pretty good. I've told them about two different noises while having my oil changed and both times there were service bulletins out for them and they fixed them.
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
flaudia402

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
It really sounds like it’s coming from the rear deck within the speaker grille. If it is the the NPP fuse, any resolution? Entire NPP exhaust replacement?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
coruiz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
It really sounds like it’s coming from the rear deck within the speaker grille. If it is the the NPP fuse, any resolution? Entire NPP exhaust replacement?
epoxy on the valves
Old 09-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I’d say I trust mine pretty well.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
if its truly this, there is a bulletin for it. some epoxy with the flaps that should rectify this. You can pull the fuse and won't do this as it will be louder. but that the goal I was going for.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
In my personal experience I have had great luck working with multiple dealers in the last couple of cities I've lived in. This would be basically my entire driving life, so that's about all the experience I have. I'm also very respectful, communicate with them, and trust them to do the right thing without trying to tell them how to do their job.

One thing I've learned is that not only will the dissatisfied customers be far more vocal, meaning you're far less likely to hear a great experience than you are to hear a shit one, but also those who are dissatisfied aren't likely to be satisfied. They'll be pissed forever, they will make assumptions and blanket statements that all xx are bad and then they'll just keep repeating this to anyone and everyone who will listen. You have to kind of take it with a grain of salt.

I've also recognized that most of the time the people who are so vocal about their displeasure really came into the situation looking for a fight. You'll see it in their posture, the way they treat the consultant, their voice and mannerisms, and you'll even notice it on here in people's posts (I'm so pissed, I'm going to give that dealer a piece of my mind first thing tomorrow and they better fix it in 30 mins or they'll give me a brand new car!) so you reeeeeeeally have to consider how you take people's reactions on things like this.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote