Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
tregistry

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Reliability issues?

Hi,
I am thinking of purchasing a Camaro. I am reading about a lot of reliability issues on this forums. What are your thoughts? What problems have you had. I am currently driving a super dependable Toyota Yaris and I'm not about to get involved with a nightmare, however I really want the new SS Camaro , but won't spend 40K if it isnt reliable.
tregistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
gunny27

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
There r 2 types of people on forums, people who enjoy the car and want to share or those who are here to find out why they are having problems. It the same on any forum. The car has very good reliability but may suffer from a few issues like any new model. All cars have a small percentage of people who experance issue most of them head to forums to tell everyone and to see if there is a simple solution to the problem.

Some problems may occur with any car that is why there is a warranty. Most defects will occur early in the life of any car.

I'm sure most on here have nothing but smiles.
gunny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
I have a 2SS, V8, M6....I hit the gas, it goes VROOOOOM and throws your asssss back in the seat. Wouldn't trade it to save my own kid.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Don't buy a 16 with NPP. Other than that take a copy of the camaro checklist and look it over. If it passes the checklist you're probably gtg. There are still some problems but fewer and fewer as the model addresses TSB's. I'm holding out till '18 for hopefully a 10 speed auto and more of the bugs to be worked out.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
What does this community represent? Maybe 1% of the entire G6 Camaro population? Ok, maybe 2%, but still you need to put that into perspective and realize that some will complain about the smallest of things. There are some that are legite and need attention but it seems most of us are in the "we are good to go" category and are enjoying the rife.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
I love when people say "that's what a warranty is for".. Easy to say when you aren't the one waiting for an engine from Detroit. Yes the car is enjoyable if you aren't experiencing any issues. I guess that is true for any car. I'm paying for a 2016 SS that is sitting at the dealer, which makes this loaner the world's most expensive Malibu LS!
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
I love when people say "that's what a warranty is for".. Easy to say when you aren't the one waiting for an engine from Detroit. Yes the car is enjoyable if you aren't experiencing any issues. I guess that is true for any car. I'm paying for a 2016 SS that is sitting at the dealer, which makes this loaner the world's most expensive Malibu LS!
Your situation is unfortunate for sure. However, in your case the warranty is the best thing ever. The engine will be replaced and you get a loaner car to drive around while you wait. Imagine if you bought a 2010 Z06 corvette and the valve issue destroyed your motor you would be out $18k for a new engine and no loaner.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Same here. I have been driving a Malibu LS since May 31st and paying for a 2SS convertible.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregistry View Post
Hi,
I am thinking of purchasing a Camaro. I am reading about a lot of reliability issues on this forums. What are your thoughts? What problems have you had. I am currently driving a super dependable Toyota Yaris and I'm not about to get involved with a nightmare, however I really want the new SS Camaro , but won't spend 40K if it isnt reliable.
These forums are kinda like watching the news. Most of the time you hear all the bad news but you have to keep in perspective that there are 50k new Camaros on the road that have no major issues.

All brands have their issues. The new Honda Civic had a piston ring issue that could cause the engine to seize. The folks driving the new Miata are afraid their manual tramissions are gonna shred its gears due to a metallurgy manufacturing issue. If you go visit every car forum you will see the same trend. These forums can drive you nuts and if you let them you will never buy becuase you see someone post that they have a problem.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 06-28-2016, 12:09 AM   #10
Ittookalongtime

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE Summit White
Mines new and all good but I think posters got it right. Camaros are not supposed to be ATS's. When I punch my LT1 (especially the LT1?), I get so much of a shit eating grin on my face that I really don't care if it has a rattle or may need a little more upkeep. When you drive this car you realize that it's wired differently and its purpose is clear - go fast, turn fast, stop fast. There are great deals out there now. Go get a cheap one and put some of the money you save away for new tires
Ittookalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:53 AM   #11
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
These forums are kinda like watching the news. Most of the time you hear all the bad news.
Totally disagree... So over 50% of your post were bad news? This forum is the opposite! One of the more positive forums out there. Yes all cars their issues. Some more than others. The question is does the 6th Gen have reliability issues? Only time will tell. The question is NOT does it have issues like other car brands or is it a blast to drive... The answers to those last two questions are yes & yes..
Old 06-28-2016, 03:04 AM   #12
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Your situation is unfortunate for sure. However, in your case the warranty is the best thing ever. The engine will be replaced and you get a loaner car to drive around while you wait. Imagine if you bought a 2010 Z06 corvette and the valve issue destroyed your motor you would be out $18k for a new engine and no loaner.
Yes things could have been a lot worst. I'm thank for the warranty. It's why I buy new cars. A piece of mind. I had a 2003 350Z engine fail at 67,000 miles just missed the warranty. This was in 2007 after I had the car 4 years. Since 2011 I have bought 5 Chevrolets for my family - (2) Malibu (3) Camaro. This car is the first to have issues..
Old 06-28-2016, 04:04 AM   #13
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
3500 miles and 35 autocross runs in- no issues! Passenger seat stopped reclining for a few days, but magically healed itself. I think mine may have been a February or March build.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #14
raptor5244

Quote:
Totally disagree... So over 50% of your post were bad news? This forum is the opposite! One of the more positive forums out there. Yes all cars their issues. Some more than others. The question is does the 6th Gen have reliability issues? Only time will tell. The question is NOT does it have issues like other car brands or is it a blast to drive... The answers to those last two questions are yes & yes..
Nah, I am exaggerating but my point is that if some potential Camaro buyer stumbled across this site or any other car forum site for that matter they could get the sense that the car has terrible reliability. They have to keep in mind the sampling size and the the fact that the folks posting with issues probably sought out the forum to share their issues.
2019 Tesla Model 3