Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #29
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Just don't call it a Camaro.
Porsche calls their 918 Spyder a Porsche so why shouldn`t Chevrolet call theirs a Camaro if it to becomes a hybrid too?
https://www.caranddriver.com/porsche/918
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #30
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Porsche calls their 918 Spyder a Porsche so why shouldn`t Chevrolet call theirs a Camaro if it to becomes a hybrid too?
You mean Carrera?
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #31
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I think they need to come out with a bigger V8 LS based motor like a 396 with 600 HP N/A for the SS and a Zl1 with 800 HP. On the electric cars they can put speakers on them that look like tail pipes and of course you can have 20 versions of exhaust note with the flick on of a switch, of course all the tacky blinky lights in the world too. It will be a great car for picking up "Dudes" I'm sure and all the geeks would go for it too. Just don't do it to the Camaro.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #32
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Hybrid supercars are super fast. The point of a hybrid is not necessarily just fuel economy. A hybrid can be designed to deliver low end torque that is unimaginable with a street-worthy and durable internal combustion engine.

Only retro-grouches resist inevitable and exciting advances in automotive technology.

If a Camaro hybrid comes out, count me in!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #33
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
To say the least.. the Camaro, mustang and dodge’s just should not be made or badged with any electric engine. If it’s the future I’d suggest they come up with new names as the era of gas muscle car is its own thing. An era we all currently still enjoy. We all enjoy modding and sharing info to on making our cars faster or look cosmetically different than factory etc.

Gonna be pretty lame meeting at coffee and cars or doing car shows or racing in the future to me once everybody has the same old flux capacitor mod. Oh wait they will brag that their car charges faster than yours using a modded plug in adapter wall socket. They can cook us lunch at the car shows or race track on those electric cars with the bbq grill add on mod. Again those future cars are just boring as hell.

Keep your gas powered vehicles as I am keeping all of mine for sure.
the old school hot rodders disliked the GTO,chevelle,and mustang when they came out too.but progress is progress.in 40 years the 5th gen ZL-1 will be getting passed by electric economy cars.my 5th gen RS can beat up on most of the stock 60s musclecars,thats why people buy newer cars.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:04 PM   #34
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the old school hot rodders disliked the GTO,chevelle,and mustang when they came out too.but progress is progress.in 40 years the 5th gen ZL-1 will be getting passed by electric economy cars.my 5th gen RS can beat up on most of the stock 60s musclecars,thats why people buy newer cars.
The old old school hot rodders may not have liked Mustangs, Camaros, GTO’s, etc, but they never had to deal with a Model A big block. Ford, GM, and Chrysler made new models to replace the older outgoing vehicles of choice for hot rodding.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #35
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
I can't recall where, but I had read that GM proposed that every one of their vehicles would be electric assist in the fairly near future.

Having said that, nope, no thanks. Luddite mode here.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #36
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Well of course it could be called a Chevy, I just don't want it to be called a Camaro.
I am admittedly resistant to changing things I like, maybe to a fault. To me a Camaro is a good looking two door RWD car (don't make a four door like the rumoured 4 door Mustang). I'd rather see it go all electric than have a hybrid version. There's something about a hybrid that feels like a compromise.
At what point do we sacrifice the soul of the car to chase numbers.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #37
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Well of course it could be called a Chevy, I just don't want it to be called a Camaro.
I am admittedly resistant to changing things I like, maybe to a fault. To me a Camaro is a good looking two door RWD car (don't make a four door like the rumoured 4 door Mustang). I'd rather see it go all electric than have a hybrid version. There's something about a hybrid that feels like a compromise.
At what point do we sacrifice the soul of the car to chase numbers.
A hybrid is not a compromise; it is the opposite of a compromise because it optimizes the differing advantages of the electric and internal combustion motors by switching between the two when appropriate.

Furthermore, a hybrid can be designed to save fuel, but it can also be designed to outperform a similarly sized and priced internal combustion only car, putting up numbers that would require internal combustion engine mods that hurt durability and/or fuel economy.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #38
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
The old old school hot rodders may not have liked Mustangs, Camaros, GTO’s, etc, but they never had to deal with a Model A big block. Ford, GM, and Chrysler made new models to replace the older outgoing vehicles of choice for hot rodding.
if an all electric camaro can go 0-60 in less than 4 seconds,go 300 plus miles on a charge and be priced less than 40,000 dollars ,bring it on...hot rodders will rock whatever is fastest.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #39
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
if an all electric camaro can go 0-60 in less than 4 seconds,go 300 plus miles on a charge and be priced less than 40,000 dollars ,bring it on...hot rodders will rock whatever is fastest.
Why not call it the originally intended Camaro name, Panther? They're sleak, stealthy, powerful and until you're really moving quiet. If you want to add some optional sound effects then let it "roar". Let Camaro be forever associated with cam thumping, exhaust roaring, supercharger whining V8's? (Nothing against the V6 crowd. Don't get all bent out of shape.)
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #40
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Why not call it the originally intended Camaro name, Panther? They're sleak, stealthy, powerful and until you're really moving quiet. If you want to add some optional sound effects then let it "roar". Let Camaro be forever associated with cam thumping, exhaust roaring, supercharger whining V8's? (Nothing against the V6 crowd. Don't get all bent out of shape.)

This member of the V6 crowd happens to agree with you. I don't completely agree with redcoats up there though. Hot Rodders will rock whatever's fast they can make go faster.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #41
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
There of course have been guys building commercial grade sub ten second econo build electric race cars... and then theres the production vehicles and some more special production like the electric vette… https://www.wonderslist.com/top-10-f...electric-cars/

And its just part of the inevitable when things do run low on oil eventually....the world will use varied alternatives due to cost, ethanols, etc and Hydrogen hopefully will be fully developed and its power kicks ……..
http://www.nedra.com/

Only thing we can count on...change...but imagine someday your grand child retro fits a quantum accelerator with the dual over pass warp gates to your ride some day and wins the Indy 5000 ….LOL

And the thing about our fifth gens....they make the shape of the originals new again and chic with our phat arse and muscular profile that says retro....and that makes them new again...and Camaros live on after a hiatus due to lack of interest with the 4th gen die out hard.... and our fifths carried a sixth, and hopefully a seventh and on and on...
Old 10-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #42
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstodii View Post
You mean Carrera?
Carrera`s are 911`s not 918`s.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote