Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Gen6 2SS vs 4 slightly modded, non-boosted cars. List inside!

As some know, I had a car cruise over the weekend. Close to 1800 miles and about 14 cars! While I will not disclose any routes, I can say that trips combined Mexico and racetracks, especially during the testing and comparing.

My current 2SS only has ported Throttle Body, ported intake manifold and secondary cats delete. No intake, no tune or anything else. My future plans for power are: Ported & coated stock tri-y headers, intake, Borla catless xpipe and tune.

All test and compare's were done in either 3rd or 4th gear 60-70 rolls. And were against:

- 2015 Camaro Z/28 with ARH LTs, supercharger cam and tune (he is waiting for his SC to arrive, going with Whipple), 513 rwhp and the torque I cannot remember for the life of me!

Z/28 definitely started walking me and kept going with no hope of even catching up haha. There were about 3-4 car lengths between us with the Z/28 in the lead. About 90 rwhp difference, quite normal.

- 2014 C7 Z51 with, ported and coated exhaust manifold, ported throttle body, ported intake manifold, AFE intake, borla catless xpipe and tune. 450ish rwhp/rwtq (you can see where my power build comes from haha).

The result of the test and compare between me and the C7 was VERY similar to the Z/28 but maybe a car length or more further than the Z/28 due to the fantastic aero the C7 has over the gen5 and would've been further than that if kept going.

- 2006 Evo IX (9) with intake, exhaust, stock turbo maxed, injectors, fuel pump and tune. Around 340 awhp and 330 awtq.

AWD definitely didn't do much since it's on a roll and the evo wasn't able to even keep up. Not trying to diss evos, it just didn't have enough power.

- 2015 Mustang GT Roush with catless LT headers, headers back exhaust, intake, tune and some other mods. 440 rwhp/rwtq.

This one I was actually looking forward to haha, no idea why! :P. Did multiple pulls, all resulted the same. Mustang rear tires couldn't get pass my front tires.

All in all, I am actually extremely impressed with my camaro for only having 3 performance mods and non that godly. I can see a HUGE potential with the car even without FI. With FI it would definitely be batshit crazy! I do not plan on going with boost.

I plan on writing a review of my experience sometime this week with a video as I do have a dash cam setup and recorded the first leg of the cruise on Saturday morning during the twisties! All I can say is I LOVE my car and how it performs.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!

Last edited by Tr6; 05-02-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
KyleL

Drives: Slow
I'm sure all of which were done on a racetrack lol
Old 05-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
As some know, I had a car cruise over the weekend. Close to 1800 miles and about 14 cars! While I will not disclose any routes, I can say that MY leg of the trip started Northeast of Wichita where I met with friends that were coming up from Dallas and we all went and stayed in Minneapolis Friday night, then went to Iowa / MN back and forth during saturday and stayed in Iowa and then back south home Sunday.

My current 2SS only has ported Throttle Body, ported intake manifold and secondary cats delete. No intake, no tune or anything else. My future plans for power are: Ported & coated stock tri-y headers, intake, Borla catless xpipe and tune.
The stock header is a twinwall design, it can't be ported. The original LS1 had the same design and we used to cut these in half, yank the inner tube and tig weld them back together. These are WAY more complicated headers.

The good news is the last 2 to 1 flange is cast and stock it is 2.1" ID, and looks like it can go to 2.2 or maybe even 2.25 ID. Which is the exact size of my cat deletes by 6le.

Great write up.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Ricardo@Phastek

Drives: the boss nuts....
Send a message via AIM to Ricardo@Phastek Send a message via Yahoo to Ricardo@Phastek
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
I'm sure all of which were done on a racetrack lol
Mexico.....

It was a very long trip.
Ricardo@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

I totally forgot to add a 5th car... No idea the year it was but it was a CLA AMG. Performance wise, what a waste of money. I am sure it's extremely comfortable and luxurious inside but... performance wise, what a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
The stock header is a twinwall design, it can't be ported. The original LS1 had the same design and we used to cut these in half, yank the inner tube and tig weld them back together. These are WAY more complicated headers.

The good news is the last 2 to 1 flange is cast and stock it is 2.1" ID, and looks like it can go to 2.2 or maybe even 2.25 ID. Which is the exact size of my cat deletes by 6le.

Great write up.
Thanks a MILL for that info oldman! I have yet to see a stock tri-y headers to inspect what can be done and what not. I just assumed my plan was still good which after what you said, it will still be good but not as good as I assumed it would be! Seems like I can still get em ported which will give just a bit more efficiency more than stock which is what I am after. Plus keep warranty and 1k in the bank.
Build thread HERE!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #6
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Turk, How you like that ported TB? was considering it instead of a Vitesse

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Turk, How you like that ported TB? was considering it instead of a Vitesse
I truly do love the porting job on my TB and IM, Ruben @ SoCal Porting did a fantastic job and it's not a hack job. It's SMOOOOOOOTH, no lip, no bumps, no nothing. Hell, when we first started the car, started up just like stock, no idle issues, no nothing and I have 4k miles on the car since the ported TB/IM, still going on strong. Beauty of porting OEM parts, OEM ftw!

No idea about the power of the ported TB, I would assume like 3-4 rwhp but porting TB's isn't all about power, it is just a building step that works extremely well with more efficient intake/IM/exhaust. I am not after "get as much power as possible". I am just after a much more efficiency breathing vehicle and as close to stock as possible for warranty and reliability purposes. Not that aftermarket isn't reliable, it can be but it NEVER will be as reliable as OEM plus will never have the warranty. If I were after power, I would've already had ADM do a full LT4 swap and other goodies to hit 800+ to the wheels. But I CAN tell you that ported TB and ported IM really did wake the car up, you can feel the air flow being much better under WoT amd I am still on stock tune, it'll be even better with a tune but still waiting on Diablo to release their software so my tuner can get it done. I still have the stock klenex intake too, and stock headers with stock xpipe (with cat delete but it's replaced with 2.5 and not 2.75) which will be replaced, hopefully soon.
Build thread HERE!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I truly do love the porting job on my TB and IM, Ruben @ SoCal Porting did a fantastic job and it's not a hack job. It's SMOOOOOOOTH, no lip, no bumps, no nothing. Hell, when we first started the car, started up just like stock, no idle issues, no nothing and I have 4k miles on the car since the ported TB/IM, still going on strong. Beauty of porting OEM parts, OEM ftw!

No idea about the power of the ported TB, I would assume like 3-4 rwhp but porting TB's isn't all about power, it is just a building step that works extremely well with more efficient intake/IM/exhaust. I am not after "get as much power as possible". I am just after a much more efficiency breathing vehicle and as close to stock as possible for warranty and reliability purposes. Not that aftermarket isn't reliable, it can be but it NEVER will be as reliable as OEM plus will never have the warranty. If I were after power, I would've already had ADM do a full LT4 swap and other goodies to hit 800+ to the wheels. But I CAN tell you that ported TB and ported IM really did wake the car up, you can feel the air flow being much better under WoT amd I am still on stock tune, it'll be even better with a tune but still waiting on Diablo to release their software so my tuner can get it done. I still have the stock klenex intake too, and stock headers with stock xpipe (with cat delete but it's replaced with 2.5 and not 2.75) which will be replaced, hopefully soon.
Sounds good!

I was considering it only for improved throttle response, Im good with the power.... For now.... Haha

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
LS7 w/a supercharger...... He will be easy to beat from his garage!lol

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote