Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 09-22-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
ATl_1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Lets talk about camber

I've seen a bunch of threads about how to add camber more negative camber but not many about when more should be added and when its actually enough.
First few events i went 2.0/1.5 trying to stay street friendly and my local tracks i found the push and outside wear just too. Did some temp checks and outside wear confirmed 15 degrees hotter then inside after pit in.

Next few i decided to go max which was 2.6/1.8 ish. Was concerned about street wear but have had little to no issue, and my track exp after adjusting pressures was a significant improvement with even temps across with even wear almost doubling my tire life.

The question for me is, at what point is everyone going 3.0+ see a bunch of guys running 3.5 on their track only but running sub 80tw. I plan on going SC3R and probably grind the fronts down for a tad more camber but potentially will go even more aggressive in future and have been looking at vorshlag plates to future proof.

Are you guys just adding camber on a as needed after events or is their a consensus of a good baseline once people move away from the sc3?

When is sub 3.0 up front not enough for you guys?
ATl_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:00 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
-3.5 f -2.5 r no issues but im still on sc3 and dont daily my car

i have a set of used 3rs and 19s gonna test out next month so well see how they run /last
Old 09-22-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATl_1LE View Post
I've seen a bunch of threads about how to add camber more negative camber but not many about when more should be added and when its actually enough.
First few events i went 2.0/1.5 trying to stay street friendly and my local tracks i found the push and outside wear just too. Did some temp checks and outside wear confirmed 15 degrees hotter then inside after pit in.

Next few i decided to go max which was 2.6/1.8 ish. Was concerned about street wear but have had little to no issue, and my track exp after adjusting pressures was a significant improvement with even temps across with even wear almost doubling my tire life.

The question for me is, at what point is everyone going 3.0+ see a bunch of guys running 3.5 on their track only but running sub 80tw. I plan on going SC3R and probably grind the fronts down for a tad more camber but potentially will go even more aggressive in future and have been looking at vorshlag plates to future proof.

Are you guys just adding camber on a as needed after events or is their a consensus of a good baseline once people move away from the sc3?

When is sub 3.0 up front not enough for you guys?
I think this has been discussed a lot here so I'm kind of repeating myself. I maxed my front at -2.2 and my insides wear out way faster than the outside. I know most people have reported otherwise but I've gone through 2 sets of tires at -2.2 and the inside cords before the outside. This is with 90% track driving 10% street.

However it's still not enough camber, the car is still understeering too much for my liking mid speed corner entry and I think it would benefit from another degree. I am in the process of doing all this and will hopefully have some results before the end of the year. I'm going to change to 18" slicks w/ -3.0 to -3.5 and see what kind of difference it makes.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:59 PM   #4
Nc1le

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I think this has been discussed a lot here so I'm kind of repeating myself. I maxed my front at -2.2 and my insides wear out way faster than the outside. I know most people have reported otherwise but I've gone through 2 sets of tires at -2.2 and the inside cords before the outside. This is with 90% track driving 10% street.

However it's still not enough camber, the car is still understeering too much for my liking mid speed corner entry and I think it would benefit from another degree. I am in the process of doing all this and will hopefully have some results before the end of the year. I'm going to change to 18" slicks w/ -3.0 to -3.5 and see what kind of difference it makes.
So I maxed -2.7 one side and -2.5 the other with -2.0 rear and in autocross I am still having alot of understeer on the stock set up tires etc. do you think more camber is the answer( if your wearing insides first doesn’t sound like it) or do you think going 305 square vs the 285/305 would help more…
Nc1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:02 PM   #5
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nc1le View Post
So I maxed -2.7 one side and -2.5 the other with -2.0 rear and in autocross I am still having alot of understeer on the stock set up tires etc. do you think more camber is the answer( if your wearing insides first doesn’t sound like it) or do you think going 305 square vs the 285/305 would help more…
wearing insides first doesnt mean you don't have enough camber, it's just a result of driving/setup. Tire temperatures is what is more important.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:50 PM   #6
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Wearing the insides a lot faster is usually caused by toe settings (especially toe out). It might possibly also be an issue of running too much tire pressure. My stock SS 1LE has -2.7 degrees camber and zero toe and it is wearing Falken RT660 really evenly for autocross use, and ditto for SC3s on track. EVen if you have toe in up front, it could cause inside wear with negative camber, and it could also contribute to understeer. I find these cars to turn in pretty well, so it could also be driving style causing some of the understeer issues.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:30 PM   #7
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Wearing the insides a lot faster is usually caused by toe settings (especially toe out). It might possibly also be an issue of running too much tire pressure. My stock SS 1LE has -2.7 degrees camber and zero toe and it is wearing Falken RT660 really evenly for autocross use, and ditto for SC3s on track. EVen if you have toe in up front, it could cause inside wear with negative camber, and it could also contribute to understeer. I find these cars to turn in pretty well, so it could also be driving style causing some of the understeer issues.
Nah it's not toe, tire temps are 33-36 psi hot. This car just tends to understeer in some corners on the track at track alignment settings. It needs more to take out the understeer on middle/high speed corner entry. Those are my alignment settings (bottom, top was stock). And im certainly trying to rotate the car, I'm not insisting on understeer. I'm waiting for the car to rotate before getting on throttle.

Old 09-22-2022, 09:54 PM   #8
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I run 3.7/2.5 camber, 0/.1 toe.

Perfect for AX, wears tires very evenly. With previous 2.5/1.9 I had uneven wear and needed to flip tires. On track there's a bit more heat inside up front due to braking, but the front end grip is ridiculous and handling balance is just perfect.

Also have Hotchkis ft/ZLE rear bars both on medium and GMPP ediff tune for AX. Handling is amazing. Along w/ ZLE cradle bushings it slaloms and puts power down at a much higher level vs stock. Very competitive CAMC car and also works great on track.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:21 AM   #9
ATl_1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
wearing insides first doesnt mean you don't have enough camber, it's just a result of driving/setup. Tire temperatures is what is more important.
This is my main reason I'm asking for others opinion because I'm seeing mixed at events and not seeing a correlation of mods and camber.
Track events at 2.5 I'm even tire temp on sc3 at 34-35 psi hot. For me this is perfect to the point I'm adjusting balance plus or minus a pound on either end. At 3.5 I would figure I'd need serious tire to get enough lateral to use it and would really only help low speed tight corners.
Seems like people just max camber out without knowing if it's too much or little.
3.5 for autox makes much more sense to me but your also not running long enough to be stressing temps and much tighter cornering.
ATl_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:59 AM   #10
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
So I saw your alignment sheets for the toe but curious if youre manipulating the camber and then zeroing/resetting the toe, each time? I think toe changes with camber and just curious.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #11
Nc1le

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet 2ss 1le
Are you using the vorshlag camber plates to get that much camber? Do you leave it there or move it for street vs track? Also what tires and size tires are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I run 3.7/2.5 camber, 0/.1 toe.

Perfect for AX, wears tires very evenly. With previous 2.5/1.9 I had uneven wear and needed to flip tires. On track there's a bit more heat inside up front due to braking, but the front end grip is ridiculous and handling balance is just perfect.

Also have Hotchkis ft/ZLE rear bars both on medium and GMPP ediff tune for AX. Handling is amazing. Along w/ ZLE cradle bushings it slaloms and puts power down at a much higher level vs stock. Very competitive CAMC car and also works great on track.
Nc1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #12
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nc1le View Post
Are you using the vorshlag camber plates to get that much camber? Do you leave it there or move it for street vs track? Also what tires and size tires are you running?
Yes, and SPL rear toe arms. I leave it. camber changes toe a lot. Zero ft toe and .1 r toe.

I run ZLE sizes for AX (RT660, 315/30 rears) and street (PS4S), OEM SC3 for track.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #13
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
So I saw your alignment sheets for the toe but curious if youre manipulating the camber and then zeroing/resetting the toe, each time? I think toe changes with camber and just curious.
No I don't have camber plates or anything. I got an alignment right before going to the track, I didn't change anything after, my car is stock.